Uploading Audio with Licensee Rights - Disrespectful Experience

As a Roblox Developer, it is currently too hard to partner with musicians and artists to which the developer has a limited time licensee right to some of the works of the artist.

With the lack of a submission form for showcasing our licensee rights to a work we are uploading, the current experience of uploading audio is disrespectful to developers.

This pre-emptive copyright strike that Roblox puts on my account is blatantly disrespectful to the contract that the two parties actually involved have made beforehand without Roblox’s knowledge.

This makes us have to wait in a virtual line of email chains at the mercy of someone finally noticing our 3rd party contract to then refund our Robux so we can upload it again.

78 Likes

+1. Has been happening to me recently even though it’s actually the opposite. I’m being copyrighted because I own the music or whatever that I’ve been uploading.

The filter is automated and does in-fact scale but, the inaccuracy and time that it takes to fix said issue (seems to be almost every time I upload?) makes me resort to other platforms as a whole.

Even though this idea doesn’t scale, I’d prefer it to be a copyright strike based on DMCA and not a flawed automated solution. A user or person should have to be able to file a request for takedown. While this is more manual for the user, it eliminates a bunch of false-positives that ruin the user experience.

And in my sole case, the logic of me DMCAing myself, I find actually quite funny.

17 Likes

10 Likes

Hey there!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention! Enabling legitimate partnerships between music creators and developers is something we are looking to work on as soon as we can. This has been on our radar for quite some time now and our time is actively working on foundational pieces necessary to ensure creators can succeed, including work around licensing issues. We will update the community as soon as we can. Thanks for staying patient with us!

32 Likes

Thank you, that should change the experience to be a more friendly and welcoming environment. Having to go through an ambiguous email chain at the moment doesn’t allow this to be as productive an environment as it could be. I’m glad to know that this has been noted and actively worked on. I’m sure I’m not the first to go through this, nor would be the last.

9 Likes

While I understand Roblox is working on this, I have already been involved with signing a contract that allows me to upload 6 songs right now. I do require the 3 of them that were removed for a false copyright to be approved. I am extending an olive branch as I can give valuable feedback to how this system could work for developers moving forward, while also producing a very practical example of a 3rd party partnership that has been taking place behind the scenes since April of this year.

The following audio Ids are the audios that were wrongfully denied. The claim made by Roblox “The content has been removed under Roblox’s intellectual property policies” and “You should make sure you have the legal right” is false. I do have the licensee rights to the following audios. There was no way for me to talk to any moderator about such rights and that is why I feel so strongly about this system and how I can be valuable feedback to the Roblox community.

I have never hesitated to show the contract to anyone who asked within the email chains I have been in during the past week. I am getting this event done, with help would be appreciated.

14 Likes

I’d tell you to apply for a moderation appeal in the appropriate subforum, but Roblox has decided that that is unnecessary and removed it despite their faulty moderation system and inability to recognize third party contracts that grant the limited usage of IP.

In my opinion, what is necessary is better developer relations and customer service. I feel as strongly as anyone else about this because it’s disrespectful to suggest that roblox developers can’t make deals with other parties or do the bare minimum that is required to obtain the rights to put sounds into games. Unfortunately it doesn’t stop at sounds, it extends to all assets wrongly flagged for deletion, whether they be shirts, pants, images, meshes, etc. If the bot screws up in any way, devs need a way to reach out to roblox admins quickly to get that taken care of by a human. It’s not going an extra mile, it’s the bare minimum, and roblox has not done the bare minimum for the size of the base they have. This kind of customer / developer service - or lack thereof - should be unacceptable on a platform that is valued at over $4 billion, going public, and is growing and expanding.

5 Likes

100%

I full heartedly agree. I was not helped to have my contractually obligated sound approved by Roblox moderation after they replied here.

I still got it approved though, I have my ways.
I told them

3 Likes

For some odd reason, they don’t accept feedback. I don’t know if this is protocol or just ignorance. Whichever it is, it’s not a very good developer experience when developers are the ones pulling traffic to the actual site.

I haven’t had the time to talk to appeals over being moderated over my own music (of which I own 100% because I put in the time and effort into it and created it from scratch) but, this reply doesn’t make me want to email them. This is actually incredibly annoying. Where did standards go?

4 Likes