Vanilla 3 - The pragmatic icon set for Roblox Studio

I can personally vouch that Roblox Studio Mod Manager isn’t malicious or dangerous or anything like that. It’s made by @Maximum_ADHD who is well known in the community, and RSMM is open sourced.

It’s been repeatedly flagged by Windows Defender and other AVs for the past year at least, and I reported an issue on it on the repo a while back. I have personally submitted it to Microsoft a few times as safe myself and it was verified by them a couple times, but, each new version is basically a whole different executable to AVs unfortunately.

The executable is unsigned, so every new version AVs identify as a whole different program. It unfortunately can’t really be identified by them because of that. If you took an existing version of RSMM that AVs consider safe, and modified it yourself in a malicious way, it would look no different than a new version of RSMM, since there’s no signing to say “this is an official build”. AVs just can’t identify that it’s actually and official version of RSMM or even that it’s RSMM at all.

If I recall correctly, the reason AVs seem to hate it in the first place is because it downloads another program (Roblox). Commonly trojans will download other malicious programs (and if you think about it even though it comes from roblox.com it doesn’t need to be a safe program, it could even be a safe program that gets exploited, or roblox.com could unknowingly be serving a malicious file from the perspective of an AV).

Roblox itself doesn’t run into this issue because their installer is actually signed and has a verified publisher with it.

The way that RSMM actually works is very unintrusive. It’s pretty much just a Roblox installer, but it adds an extra ClientSettings folder (for fast flags since Roblox will happily load fast flags from there, even the Roblox player will). It will add any plugins or icons or whatever you add to it yourself after installing Roblox. It doesn’t do anything like attach to studio or anything, it just uses official Roblox features to do what it does.

Not telling you to go around trusting random programs or anything, but, I did just wanna provide a detailed explanation about that, since I find it interesting and do want to defend RSMM.

Anyways, I actually came here because Roblox seems to be ignoring ClassImages.png and was hoping someone else would’ve had a solution here but that doesn’t seem to be the case. :pensive:

P.s. I want to install it manually since I’m on Linux run Roblox under Wine through Grapejuice, and RSMM is just kind of inconvenient to run in Grapejuice.

8 Likes

Yeah it’s just it would turn off some studio features at random times and made me a bit too suspicious

Chances are the mod manager wasn’t the root cause of these features being “turned off”.

1 Like

Stuff would happen like the settings button would become grey which shouldn’t happen, and when I installed normal Roblox it was fine.

1 Like

those are some really nice icons!

i have some problems with it tho…
the script editor doesn’t seem to have the modern icons

Not to be rude or anything, but how do I change it back?

Roblox just randomly installed it for me.

No. Roblox made their own icons so they implemented them into the new update

1 Like

I switched to vanilla due to the roblox explorer icon change.l, thank you for this one. But will there be icons for the topbar too? I have no issues with the new topbar icons but I wanna modernize my studio further because of vanilla.

2 Likes

How did you get it to work, where did you put it, wont work for me for some reason

i think i might wanna get this, after the new update, gosh it made it so much harder to differentiate all the icons, i have to squint my eyes to even tell the difference

Just copy the classimages.png you would find in the vanilla zip and paste to the roblox textures folder

Doesnt work, just uses the new ones

Changing the ClassImages.png file no longer changes the studio’s icons. The only way to change the Icons is to use an older version of studio or MaximumADHD’s Mod Manager.

Managed to get it done via changing flag in beta launcher

Hey @Elttob, I’ve used this since it came out and love it. I’m curious if you have any plans to update this pack to include all the new icons added in with the Studio UI update? Thanks!

I am at RDC right now so this was released at an unfortunate time! I will look at reverse engineering the format and implementing the new icon set at some point when I get back :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Which flag did you change in the mod manager to achieve this

According to this post by Hexcede, you have to set FFlagStudioQtSVGIcons and FFlagSVGLuaIcons to false. I used the manual method listed then replaced the usual class icon image and I’m now using Vanilla again.

1 Like

It’s interesting to know this flag returns the old ClassImages behaviour! I actually wasn’t aware of this, but, I now noticed that Roblox generated a ClassImages after I had set these flags.

Also, just to note, once the next Roblox update comes the ClientSettings folder won’t get copied to the new version of Roblox so you’d have to apply it yourself again (same as ClassImages pretty much)

1 Like

Oh, I’ve planned around those unpredictable Studio updates; I have a batch script that I run after each update, which extracts a ZIP file’s contents to its folder, replacing ClassImages, adding ClientAppSettings (new, as of today), and replacing the “DEH” sound with weird reversed strings.