View Selector Release

By a weird quirk of the rules, renaming the workspace will never break references to it, as the DataModel has a Workspace property that always points to the workspace.

https://developer.roblox.com/api-reference/property/DataModel/Workspace

3 Likes

To achieve something like that, they would have to scale the camera up in proportion to the camera’s FieldOfView, and then just have some toggle that tweens the FOV.

It’s certainly in the realm of possibility though. Perhaps such a feature would warrant Roblox porting Studio’s camera driver into Lua?

1 Like

This is honestly a fantastic update!

However, can we have an option to hide the GUI and instead opt for keyboard shortcuts?

1 Like

Looks good, can’t wait to use it. Definitely a useful feature.

Jumped into studio just now and thought “What’s this little cute thing in the corner here, seems cool.”

That’s strange. It should still probably be changed even if there’s no risk associated with it. It’s inconsistent with Roblox’s style.

Personally, I’ve never seen a reason to use GetService(), especially if you never plan on renaming a service. It’s much quicker to just type game.Workspace, or workspace even. Still, I don’t understand the point of “workspace” or creating countless other ways to write the same thing.

This feature is really cool, don’t get me wrong.
But how does it differ from <, >, PageUp & PageDown keys?

Edit: PageDown & PageUp keys don’t allow you to look straigh down/up. This new feature does.

Good feature, but is there anyway to revert to the older one the one that didn’t have the cube and just have the axis?

This could become very buggy. Just a bit cautious about using this. My studio messes up enough as it is.

We have investigated this, and we know this needs to be done at some point in the future. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

You can create a shortcut for it in File>Customize Shortcuts>search for “View Selector”

Alternatively you can use the solution mentioned in the OP if you didn’t mean a keyboard shortcut:

2 Likes

This feature is amazing but I’ve found a very small issue…
The Y axis extrudes a bit. Not sure if this is intentional but it looks kind of bad.

Made a plugin that fixes a few of those issues.

2 Likes

Neat feature although I would love if the axis orientation arrows (X,Y,Z) wasn’t locked to the view selector as it is hidden when viewed from various angles. Personally, I have no use for the view selector although I use the axis orientation arrows religiously.

1 Like

Is there a way to disable this? I clicked on the cube out of curiosity and now the view is locked. I want to be able to move the camera freely like you used to be able to. Disabling the View Selector in View only removes the cube, but the camera is still awkwardly locked.

Never mind, I figured it out. I haven’t used the Studio in a long time.

If this does become a thing, it would be good to also expose that orthographic stuff through a camera property, similar to one of my suggestions a while back.

Not that I’m aware of unfortunately. :neutral_face:

I’m inclined to believe that the point of that end sticking out slightly is so that when you look at the view selector using the bottom face, it isn’t lost with the red and blue lines.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.