ViewportFrame gets brighter as the camera gets further away

Reproduction Steps

1. Run this project: Minimap.rbxl (38.2 KB)

2. You’ll see a MiniMap:

3. Stop and open the LocalScript:
    aHGBK9PwbN

4. Change the camera distance (Y) on line 22, from 1000 to 20000:

5. Run.

6. You’ll see a brighter MiniMap:

Expected Behavior
ViewportFrame shouldn’t get brighter as the camera gets further away

Actual Behavior
As described below, ViewportFrame gets brighter as the camera gets further away:

Issue Area: Engine
Issue Type: Display
Impact: High
Frequency: Constantly

Edit

Another example:

13 Likes

The minimap’s color while far away is really close to the color of the spawn. It could be the color of the spawn or the black platform without the visual effects.

3 Likes

When testing it out myself in studio, I got the same results. My guess was to try and change the Ambient, LightColor, LightDirection, or ImageColor3 as they all seemed like they could be the issue. However, I couldn’t find the issue.

I do think there is a work around though: You could scale the entire map you have to a smaller size until the brightness thing isn’t effecting anything, but that might not be ideal.

There is probably something I am overlooking, but from what I currently know, I believe this to be a bug.

2 Likes

I messed around with this, and can confirm the problem stems from the ViewportFrame. Putting the objects in a WorldModel and putting that in the ViewportFrame makes no difference, so it has nothing to do with that (I figured I should try that out). No property changes fixed this either.

2 Likes

This is probably just fog.

photo of multiple Baseplates in different heights, from -5000 to 1800 (rightmost. only edge seen)

There aren’t any settings to change this though.

5 Likes

Just to exemplify, this is what happens when zooming (Camera.Y) on the ViewportFrame:

5a610adb6cc4656ab9e414a4917d64cab6a5b549

1 Like

Lighting effects on viewport frames are always static which means changing your lighting settings will not apply to viewport frames

3 Likes

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

9 Likes

Currently having the same issue, @rogeriodec_games 's reply was the best example of how this happens.

Any news?
3 months have passed.
This is an impediment to the game as there is no other alternative to remedy this problem.

2 Likes

This issue is extremely frustrating and limits the utility of VIewportFrames as they cannot be color accurate. It has been 291 days with no follow up. Has this been forgotten?

7 Likes

It is fog, and it’s kind of ridiculous that it’s set on default for ViewportFrames without any option to disable it.

3 Likes

More than 1 year has passed and no one has fixed this till now!
When will Roblox fix it?
This greatly interferes with viewing a ViewPort.

Bump, I also would appreciate if this gets improved. Either way, maybe you could post a feature request for custom lightning for viewport frames, which would allow to do much more stuff with them. But for now, your best bet would making an mini map image.

Hey everyone - pinged the team, hang tight.

5 Likes

This issue still has not be fixed, any updates?

3 Likes

Thanks for your patience @moIIete. We really appreciate these reports and I have to say it is quite a great repro you made. I’m looking at this now, I am currently working on this. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you so much!
It would be amazing to know once this issue has been solved as it causes a lot of problems with one of our current projects.

1 Like

It would seem like this is currently “expected behavior” for the game engine. I’d need to transition this into a feature request to have some way to not have fog in the viewportframe. I tried making a mini-map though by scaling parts down in the ViewportFrame.

1 Like

I see, about what you said about making the maps scaled down, that somewhat works but it is not the fix that we require to have it to work for us, we need to keep everything 1/1 scale as parts of the minimap upload every frame and adding another factor in there affect performance.

You say that it is an “expected behavior” and you would have to transition this to a feature request, are you in the process of doing this or how does that work?

1 Like