VR Support needs desperate improvement

As a developer, it is incredibly difficult to effectively and efficiently develop for VR.

Recently when developing for VR, my team have come across quite a number of hurdles to jump when it comes to debugging on VR. This should not be happening at all; Roblox’s backing of VR is lacking and it simply isn’t our job to keep VR working.

Additionally, debugging in Studio/Client is unnecessarily difficult. We shouldn’t be having to write in code just to log what’s in the output just because the client blocks the developer console from being opened.

Finally, Roblox shouldn’t be hiding certain elements (such as VR laser pointers). Why is it our responsibility to look around the CoreScripts to disable elements like these? I have also been told that Roblox Studio does not support VR.

With the state of the documentation and lack of VR API, a VR overhaul is very, very overdue.

31 Likes

If Roblox is desperate to diversify itself and to deliver on its own vision :tm:, support for VR is in desperate need. For games to fully unlock the potential of virtual reality on the platform, changes like the ones you have elaborated on need to be made and looked into. Otherwise, the only VR content on the platform will be laggy, broken and half functional junk - and I don’t think developers will want to go through the hassle of making their games support VR if this is the case.

The fact developers are being left to their own resources trying to overcome the hurdles your team has faced is undeniably frustrating and disappointing from Roblox’s engineers. If VR is to have a future on Roblox - these are the things that need to be looked into.

11 Likes