We Need an Underage (13) User Detection Bot

I feel like that they should also check HWID’s as a vpns are easy to come by, and they are free, while hwid spoofers cost like 100 bucks

1 Like

Web pages can’t do that for privacy protection reasons. Solutions like fingerprinting would also be unpopular and break child privacy law.

4 Likes

Have you checked out the previos replies :slight_smile:

What do you mean it doesn’t happen? When I signed up in 2013, I set my birthday to 2011. I wasn’t 2 years old, I was just used to lying about my birthdate for privacy reasons. I still lie of course, and the only thing that’s changed is that I say I’m over 18. Since Roblox Support is more useless than a rock, I’ve had to move accounts.

5 Likes

Then that is your problem for setting such an inaccurate and late birthday ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We shouldn’t not add these detections because of a few niche use cases.

1 Like

Legally speaking, if your parent gives you permission to make your account you’re not breaking any laws, you’re only breaking the service’s TOS. Therefore, your claim of Aiding and Abetting is completely false. From experience, I know the reason services have a strict nobody under 13 policy is it takes lots of time and effort to comply with COPPA. For example, Facebook makes money from selling your information and serving you ads, without parents permission it is illegal for them (facebook) to do this (they don’t make any money off of you so why bother).

2 Likes

I honestly can’t see a system like this working without objectiveness too it (in this case, <13 accounts being unable to sign in). Having a bot try to determine if a user is underage has too many variables to consider, such as if a 13+ user copied a web.roblox link.

You can argue they would be flagged and sent for internal review, but how are the reviewers supposed to have concrete evidence they’re underaged?

3 Likes

Yes you’re right it would have to many factor for a bot. But my suggestion was put a hold on users who use web until the case is reviewed by staff like it has been up until now. This is pretty much to stop a manual flow and make it automatic.

1 Like

So is the consequence a permanent removal from the forum, and if you get to required age, will the removal be lifted?

You can’t due to COPA. Many have tried but failed.

You don’t your parents have to. (If your account had an parent email attached and you accidently put your age under 13).

I know the DevForum suspends for life seeing as people could act like they’re going to be of age sinner than they really are. I’m not really suggesting more than a temporary lock and your account under review for web links.

2 Likes

There is no use of a under 13 not detector. Anyone can easily fool them, it’s not that pretty hard. It is up to us to find them.

1 Like

Did you read the post? It says how they are able to be caught in the first place.

7 Likes

I agree that this would be nice to have, but in reality, there’s no easy way to “detect users under 13”. Users can easily remove “web” from the roblox links, and you shouldn’t be using a single factor to determine anything, ever.
While roblox could in theory develop some machine learning/detection system for this, it really isn’t that big of an issue at the moment, and I don’t think it justifies spending extra resources to develop one.

But the majority of kids don’t, which is the point of this request; for further investigation.

Nobody is saying that you are instantly under 13 if you link web.roblox.com as you might have copied it from someone who was <13 that sent it to you :slight_smile:

but that is a huge red flag, so all that will happen is a check.

There are still automatic methods of detecting whether a user is <13. One of them, derived from what people would do in Frappe interviews, is checking whether a user can say a certain phrase/four letter word without it being filtered in chat (or on their screen). Using Roblox’s chat API’s, this can and has been made as an automatic profile age detector by filtering said word for the specific user and checking whether “#” is found in the result.

1 Like

The fact is that any sort of data outside of the the roblox website that is manually entered cannot be trusted. Think of it as the user is the local script and the roblox website is the server

Not very useful, as most people make a new account called (Username)ALT or a separate account for the devforums…ever seen that?
Huh.
When was web.roblox implemented?
I don’t remember it from (quite a while) ago when I made my first account.

1 Like

Can you elaborate because I fail to see how that implies to the DevForum seeing as we don’t have tags.

I’m not saying we take action swiftly once the prefix web is used, I’m just saying it goes under investigation. If you will recall DET already investigates this, but with this it’s auto reporting so we don’t have to manually find and report them to DET.

We can find them a pit more easily with the web prefix then investigate before taking action.

Alt accounts don’t prevent slip ups. Also I think web is fairly new about 2-3 years old.