Website Chat Notification That Never Goes Away

I sent my friend a message on the Roblox Website chat, and the notification won’t go away. Like ever, of all time. On the website I can’t get the notification to clear at all. On the Mobile App I can clear it, but as soon as I step onto the website it comes back.

I haven’t been able to rid it from my chat since July 24th when I sent him that message. (Which is weird because I shouldn’t get a notification from a message I sent him)

84 Likes

Can confirm that this happens sometimes. Sometimes if you click inside the chat window it will go away, but I’ve only seen that work for notifications sent to you from other players, not notification of messages you sent. I had a notification stuck for a message I sent my developer for several weeks and then it randomly vanished.

18 Likes

Happens to me sometimes. Usually goes away when I open the conversation and scroll all the way to the top/click on the latest message/chat bar.

4 Likes

Can confirm. This has been happening for quite a while and there doesn’t seem to be a pattern as to which notifications stick or when the go away

6 Likes

Can confirm…

pops up all the time. Can’t get rid of it. It’s super annoying v_v

14 Likes

So like, audiophiles are super into high quality sound, yes?
I’m a notificationphile. Having a notification on any of my devices/websites/etc. can be described as much more than super annoying. It’s like equivalent to being OCD for me. I have no OCD except notifications, and the fact I’ve had this one means I spend as little time as possible on the website these days. Infuriatingly awful.

11 Likes

Can confirm too, I’ve had 2 or 3 notifications that I can’t get rid of for month now… It’s super annoying

3 Likes

Can confirm.

5 Likes

Opening up Team Create starts a chat window with the people in it (owner?). Don’t know if that is the cause.

5 Likes

Yes this is exactly how mine appeared during game jam this year. I randomly had a notification for a message I sent the previous year during game jam. I hadn’t used site chat with them for a year.

2 Likes

In this case, I don’t think it is. I have this same issue whenever I send someone a site message or someone else sends me a site message, even after opening it again (to show that I read it) to make it go away. Although Team Create does that, it’s not the case, as, in the TC case, it opens up the conversation on the website, whereas in the issue @GeorgeOfAIITrades is referring to is the red notification that appears when you receive a message.

3 Likes

But that’s what I’m referring to.

2 Likes

TeamCreate can cause this bug to happen since it opens up a window, but it mainly happens whenever you send or receive a message.

1 Like

It has gotten worse.

2 Likes

Can confirm, but as I’ve seen it only occurs if you’re the one that sent the message.

2 Likes

So as you can see above I was the last person to send a message in the chat but for some reason, it’s still giving me a notification.

It began when I was notified for no reason for a message I sent months ago. I sent him that message “omg it’s giving me a permanent…” which solved the issue.
He replied and I had a permanent notification until I responded (again).
It seems like I can only get rid of them by sending a message and that is only a temporary fix.

I am using Chrome on a PC running Windows 10.

5 Likes

This same issue happens on the mobile app also.

1 Like

Can confirm this bug is still present where you will get website chat notifications when no messages are sent. It appears this occurs when you are invited to a Team Create session by that friend and then go into the session with them.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Turn on team create for any game

2. Invite a second account to the team creation session
    This account should be friends with the creator of the game
    The account also must have chat permissions turned on under privacy settings

3. Join the team create session with the creator that invited you
    Make sure the creator is still in the team create session when you join from the second account

4. Go back to the website and you will notice a personal chat has opened up with the creator and it will show a badge notification for a new chat despite no new chats beings sent

3 Likes

We could not reproduce this in-house, but we have filed a report for the fact that joining team create does seem to force open the chat conversation window.

We have been trying to track down the cause of stuck notifications in other situations. If you find any other lists of steps that cause a 100% repro of the issue (or some high %), please post them here and we will forward them.

4 Likes

I personally turned off chat, because I find notifications very upsetting. However, I noticed if a user messaged me, it’d steal the “ghost notification” until I joined a team create, where then the user that owned that team create would steal the notification.

I just turned on and opened chat for the first time in months. Had 3 notifications that were all my own messages from before when I tried to type messages to get the notification to go away. One of them I was able to clear from scrolling the chat. Another, there is only one message so I can’t scroll it. The last one is the most recent chat thread. I scrolled it and posted messages to it to try and get the notification to go away, but I can’t.

If it’s of any importance, my issue happens with Google Chrome. Haven’t tried other browsers.

2 Likes