Weekly Recap: October 14 - 18, 2024

Hey Everyone!

New week - New recap!

For the uninitiated: This recap gathers all of our announcements and updates from the Developer Forum into one convenient post. By doing so, we hope it’s easier for you to stay up-to-date on the latest news and developments from Roblox.

Remember - we keep information at a high level within these recaps. For more information or to leave feedback, please comment in their official announcements.

Thank you.

Betas & Updates

Introducing UIDragDetectors [Studio-only Beta]

• We are excited to announce that we are taking sign-ups to enable UIDragDetectors on select places!

• This sign-up enables the feature on PC and Mac clients only.

• Mobile devices won’t receive the feature until a future date when we can turn the feature on safely for mobile devices, which we expect would be in 1-2 weeks.

Announcements & Updates

Upcoming Changes to Experience Guidelines

• Updated the Experience Questionnaire to include a new Fear descriptor.

• We recommend retaking the experience questionnaire by December, otherwise, your experience may be treated as an experience without a content maturity label and will only be accessible to people 13 and older if it is found to contain elements of fear.

Updated Experience Controls Now Live

• Updated experience controls are now widely available to all users, excluding console and VR devices.

• The experience controls have been designed to make it easier for your users to quickly access important features like voice chat, text chat, and soon, Party.

Improved performance for GeometryService CSG APIs

API Keys and OAuth 2.0 tokens now supported on select API Sites

• We’re thrilled to announce that we’ve rolled out support for 68 endpoints across 6 different APIs, each compatible with API Keys and OAuth 2.0 access tokens.

• You can explore the complete list of endpoints in our documentation.

Release Notes

Community

Halloween Takeover: Today’s Picks on Marketplace

• Starting October 25th, we will be celebrating Halloween by showcasing your ghastly, bewitching, and candy-coated creations in Today’s Picks!

• To be featured in Marketplace’s Today’s Picks Halloween Takeover, please submit your items using the survey.

41 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 2 minutes.

When are you going to add?

• Root motion (animation)
  • Size animation
17 Likes

I dunno if this is the place to ask this kind of question, but are there any plans to update the backpack, in a similar way to TextChatService? The backpack has been severely lacking in comparison to other core features, with some of the forced behaviors being frustrating, and I’d love to see an overhaul!

Also, super hyped for the UiDragDetectors, those are gonna be amazing!

12 Likes

In general making a custom toolbar is a lot easier than making a custom chat, and there’s no security / safety concerns involved with backpack / toolbar to require us taking action there.

Any particular things to call out? I fixed the behavior of CanBeDropped a while back which was one of the most annoying hardcoded behaviors (now a custom backpack can handle dropping however it wants).

13 Likes

My biggest annoyance is the fact that the backpack is forcefully cleared when players respawn. Making the backpack save across respawns as of now is really frustrating, as the process is finicky. Devs currently have to either use completely custom backpack systems, or write weird code to save the backpack’s contents and layout. If that issue could be addressed, I would be really happy. Maybe it could be a property of the Backpack and StarterPack? Thanks for responding!

12 Likes

Do we know why Voice Chat is starting on 700 Player Servers as it is leading to our game crashing at this moment. (Yes we have VC and the API disabled)

13 Likes

Basically StarterPack.ResetOnSpawn similar to ScreenGui.ResetOnSpawn? I might check out if that’s easy to do.

Be aware that that would only get you part of the way there because many Tools from the creator store don’t gracefully handle your character respawning. Though you could make it work for tools you were writing.

13 Likes

Maybe an event could be added that fires whenever the backpack would normally automatically reset? That could add some nice possibilities, although I could see those possibilities being adressed with slight difficulty with the CharacterAdded event. But yeah, something like ResetOnSpawn would be amazing!

11 Likes

Been a week already? Oh my goodness. Glad that we’re getting UIDragDetectors slowly rolled out!

14 Likes

YES

17 Likes

Backpack instances are removed and added to the player. This event can be accomplished in the following way:

local player = -- your player from somewhere
player.ChildAdded:Connect(function(c)
    if c:IsA("Backpack") then
        handleBackpack(c) -- your function where you take in the new backpack
    end
end)

And in handleBackpack you can detect removal

local function handleBackpack(bp: Backpack)
    bp.Destroying:Connect(function()
        -- move tools to somewhere so they can be re-parented to the new Backpack later
    end)
end
15 Likes

I doubt it, it is now longer to report someone, take a screenshot report or leave the game.
I am always open to change, but why would the old UI that was already perfect would be changed for something that is already difficult to a button leading to 8 buttons ?

2 Likes