Improved performance for GeometryService CSG APIs

Dear Creators,

We’re excited to announce a major improvement to our In-Experience CSG (Constructive Solid Geometry) capabilities. This update brings significant improvements in performance for CSG operations for the recently introduced GeometryService APIs and work in tandem with the recent performance & robustness improvements as well.

What’s New?

When using operations like UnionAsync, IntersectAsync or SubtractAsync, the system automatically calculates new collision geometry under the hood. With the new update, we now optimize this step, providing a significant speed boost. Expect faster CSG API calls, leading to quicker in game operations and more responsive development workflow.

ICD_Resized

Enabling the improvements

There are two steps to ensure you get the improvements:

1. Ensure you are using the recently released GeometryService APIs for your CSG operations
  2. Make sure you are using the Default collision fidelity for your non-primitive parts.
    Note: If you are specifying the CollisionFidelity option in each of your CSG operation calls as well, you will need to set those to Default collision fidelity too.

We can’t wait for you to try out this update. As always, your feedback / bug reports are crucial to helping us improve and build better tools for the entire Roblox community.

Happy CSGing!
@Intersect_Man, @BelgianBikeGuy, @syntezoid and @FGmm_r2 on behalf of the entire Geometry team

192 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Great update, incredible what you’ve managed to do with the optimisations!,

On a side note, now that it’s more performant, do we have an ETA or any updates on CSG for meshes?

25 Likes

This is glorious! I look forward to Greek Gyro Restaurant Simulator.

Jokes aside, this seriously opens up what you can do with CSG. I’m already buzzing with ideas that I should probably put on the back burner :sweat_smile:

35 Likes

inb4 500 fruit ninja games in the vr category

20 Likes

peak update i’ve always needed csg optimizations :grin:

11 Likes

I’ve always wanted more optimizations on Roblox. Great update.

10 Likes

this would be peak, someone make this happen

6 Likes

Can you make destruction with CSG?

6 Likes

Yes, here’s an example. Destruction Physics - Roblox

6 Likes

Really looking forward to these optimizations, do you guys have an ETA for client side CSG though? heard a few months ago that it was in internal testing by staff, would really like to have it asap! :smile: :pray:

9 Likes

Good stuff. Not sure why the example without improvements starts at 241 while the example with improvements starts at 0. Can we get some before and after numbers from a 1:1 test case specifically?

It is also possible for you guys to tell us what exactly was changed that lead to higher performance? The previous post was way more detailed and i think it would be a shame to downplay the changes done for today just because they may not be on as grander as the things showcased in the previous post.

10 Likes

Performance is always great, but I’m not sure why the examples of with and without the improvement are starting at different points.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to show the comparison of the same thing from start to finish? not the without starting at 250 count and the with starting at 0.

4 Likes

Bro is not trying to be a mobile game ad

8 Likes

We’re working on updating the gifs for you guys, had a limitation with the size. Stay tuned.

8 Likes

How does using realtime CSG impact memory performance long term in live games? This uncertainty is the only thing holding me back from using this tech at this point. This is wicked fast for my purposes. For example, letting players use CSG in a building tool to make holes in walls and carve shapes to copy and paste around.

6 Likes

Fantastic Job Geometry is Lovely!

4 Likes

This might be a dumb and naive question but, does CSG work with uploaded meshes or meshparts yet?

I’d love to use it on models created in Blender, for chopping stylized trees or breaking statues into pieces, would be super neat stuff.

7 Likes

This should already be live right now. See excerpt below

5 Likes

just checked, not currently

6 Likes