Weekly Recap: October 14 - 18, 2024

This topic was automatically opened after 2 minutes.

When are you going to add?

• Root motion (animation)
  • Size animation
66 Likes

I dunno if this is the place to ask this kind of question, but are there any plans to update the backpack, in a similar way to TextChatService? The backpack has been severely lacking in comparison to other core features, with some of the forced behaviors being frustrating, and I’d love to see an overhaul!

Also, super hyped for the UiDragDetectors, those are gonna be amazing!

56 Likes

In general making a custom toolbar is a lot easier than making a custom chat, and there’s no security / safety concerns involved with backpack / toolbar to require us taking action there.

Any particular things to call out? I fixed the behavior of CanBeDropped a while back which was one of the most annoying hardcoded behaviors (now a custom backpack can handle dropping however it wants).

51 Likes

My biggest annoyance is the fact that the backpack is forcefully cleared when players respawn. Making the backpack save across respawns as of now is really frustrating, as the process is finicky. Devs currently have to either use completely custom backpack systems, or write weird code to save the backpack’s contents and layout. If that issue could be addressed, I would be really happy. Maybe it could be a property of the Backpack and StarterPack? Thanks for responding!

46 Likes

Do we know why Voice Chat is starting on 700 Player Servers as it is leading to our game crashing at this moment. (Yes we have VC and the API disabled)

56 Likes

Basically StarterPack.ResetOnSpawn similar to ScreenGui.ResetOnSpawn? I might check out if that’s easy to do.

Be aware that that would only get you part of the way there because many Tools from the creator store don’t gracefully handle your character respawning. Though you could make it work for tools you were writing.

45 Likes

Maybe an event could be added that fires whenever the backpack would normally automatically reset? That could add some nice possibilities, although I could see those possibilities being adressed with slight difficulty with the CharacterAdded event. But yeah, something like ResetOnSpawn would be amazing!

42 Likes

Been a week already? Oh my goodness. Glad that we’re getting UIDragDetectors slowly rolled out!

49 Likes

YES

48 Likes

Backpack instances are removed and added to the player. This event can be accomplished in the following way:

local player = -- your player from somewhere
player.ChildAdded:Connect(function(c)
    if c:IsA("Backpack") then
        handleBackpack(c) -- your function where you take in the new backpack
    end
end)

And in handleBackpack you can detect removal

local function handleBackpack(bp: Backpack)
    bp.Destroying:Connect(function()
        -- move tools to somewhere so they can be re-parented to the new Backpack later
    end)
end
38 Likes

I doubt it, it is now longer to report someone, take a screenshot report or leave the game.
I am always open to change, but why would the old UI that was already perfect would be changed for something that is already difficult to a button leading to 8 buttons ?

32 Likes

Can someone explain the meaning of this?

24 Likes

It will most likely get the same treatment as the In-game menu.
Concept.

24 Likes

I think he means a refreshed UI, this wouldn’t be too hard since it just needs rounded corners, different font, and darker colors, But that new prop would make a really good addition

26 Likes

it allows you to import modules how you would outside of a non roblox environment.

basically this:

require(“./module”)

instead of this:

require(script.Parent.module)
27 Likes

It’s October, we’re nearing the end of the year, yet there is still minimal conversation as to when the DynamicMesh update will become live.

In a previous thread I had asked if there was any chance we can expect to see a live beta for certain places within the upcoming few weeks / months - I am asking that once more, is there? :smile:

31 Likes

This is be a great change that may have annoyed some people, especially me.

18 Likes

I’d love to see this happen someday. I’m trying to make an immersive gui, and it’s been a pain. Please, this request has been out since 2015, I just want to make good looking immersive gui!

16 Likes