SurfaceGui.Wrapable

Setting the property to true would make the SurfaceGui wrap to the surface it’s adorned to like a decal. I want to be able to do this:

54 Likes

PLEASE.

and maybe add a function that generates a UVmap. and if its not too much more trouble while your at it, maybe ad a true/false for bumpmap texture.

6 Likes

UV Map exporting would make texturing unions a hell of a lot easier @johnnygadget

5 Likes

Unfortunately, SurfaceGUIs are GUIs, they are not textures. If you’re not aware of what you’re asking for, open Blender and try to wrap a 2D spline rectangle onto a cylinder. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but it’s a lot of work for a fairly minor feature.

5 Likes

However, I’d like to point out that if we could render SufaceGuis as textures, we could do this easily, among other things. While it’s still a lot of work, it’s for a less minor feature, that could have many uses. It would play nice with lighting, it would wrap around objects properly, we could use it as a texture to repeat it without needing many frames… even these three use cases of it make it very practical.

9 Likes

How about just curved GUIs? packages like Unity and UDK etc seem to do this by standard.

4 Likes

You can apply the same rendering algorithm as you use for a texture in converting it to mesh coordinates, and back to screen, but skip the lighting application. I don’t see that much work involved other than reworking some of the backend on how surface guis are rendered.

7 Likes

We’re moving forward in terms of development, it is some hefty work for a minor feature → but being able to have curved monitors, tvs, etc would make development a bliss! Like in the real world scenario, curved is the new modern! Sorry for the bump, but it’s 2023, the future is now.

9 Likes

Bump, saw this, thought about it, want it.

5 Likes

Been needing this. The use cases for something like this are exponentially growing. With ROBLOX supporting new platforms like native VR and PlayStation, features like these are long overdue. Albeit, they are a burden to implement and other devices hinder their support, many people want them.

6 Likes

Should we really consider it now as a fairly minor feature with the brightness factor and all of the elements that can be put to use? imagine wrapping a bright surface gui on a mesh with a gradient to create a linear fade effect. At the current state of Roblox, doing this is pretty much impossible or stupidly hard since they don’t seem to want to be involved in adding a shader material creator

3 Likes

This. Of course, I arrived here while looking for ways to wrap SurfaceGuis, but given the additional uses outlined in this reply and the pure potential behind the flexibility of using SurfaceGuis as textures I think this feature should be seriously considered.

4 Likes

image-112
No idea if this has something to do with surface gui, but there are plans to allow making gui curved?
the enum is just randomly there, with no documentation and i dont think this got any usecase yet

3 Likes

https://vt.tiktok.com/ZSFqKaTvF/
Look at that hp bar thing
I wonder how they did it

1 Like

I really hope this becomes a thing. I think it would be cool if they added wrapable SurfaceGui’s when the EditableImages update comes out, it would be such lost potential if they didn’t, honestly.

1 Like

It’s literally a disgrace this is not in the engine however many years later, it’s just pure laziness. The excuses people give for this don’t have fruition anymore. Of course there is need for this, you can’t just expect people to use decals when there could be way better creations with this.

2 Likes

Please revisit this topic, not much of a minor feature anymore.

2 Likes

This feature already sort of exists in the form of SurfaceGui.Shape and SurfaceGui.HorizontalCurvature. However, these properties are locked to CoreScripts.

This is the value type of SurfaceGui.Shape.

It isn’t entirely wrapped around the surface of the object like OP requested, but I think it would fit the feature request if these two properties were deelevated.

A video of HorizontalCurvature being tweened from -180 to 180:

17 Likes

if they can do this why cant they add wrapped GUIs???

1 Like

How did you manage to change the property? Aren’t they locked to CoreScripts?

2 Likes