Weird render problem with meshes

Hey guys, i have been getting this weird issue with my meshes. I don’t know what the problem is…

2 Likes

This is because only your inside normals have faces/your faces are pointing inward. You can fix this by ensuring the faces are double sided or flipping them if you only want the outside visible.

6 Likes

Adding on, you can flip your faces in in blender by pressing A in edit mode which would select the faces. Then press W and click on “Flip Normals”

4 Likes

Select the face you have inverted and press the W key a “Specials” menu will pop up and halfway you will see the “Flip Normals” you can also press Ctrl + N!

5 Likes

Seeing as a few people have already pointed it out, I don’t think I need to repeat that your normals are facing the wrong way. However, what I feel I should add onto these replies is a way to help prevent this in the future.

Normally it’s kind of hard to see which way a face is facing, especially when the faces are textures or you have a higher poly mesh. There are a couple ways to view which way the normals go. Both options will be on the menu on the right, which can be opened with N if it isn’t already open.

You could go into edit mode and click this button here, which causes blue lines to project from the faces pointing in the direction where they’ll be visible.

Alternatively, you can check the box which says “Backface Culling”. This will cause the polys to only render from one side, as they would in Roblox.

3 Likes

When this happens to me I usually just add a solidify modifier to the said mesh then that won’t happen.

1 Like

I urge against using the solidify modifier as a fix to this. The solidify modifier is used to add depth to your model, as if it’s a physical, solid object. Using it to account for normals facing the wrong way causes you to use over double the polys you would need otherwise, half of which won’t be visible due to being inside your object where the player can’t see them.

3 Likes