What are we going to do with the Development Discussion Category?

A lot of people that make unnecessary posts don’t realize that they’re making a new topic just to make a new topic. With these common questions you could just search it up. If I’ve learned anything it’s that you don’t have to make a topic for everything you don’t know. There’s a search bar for a reason

This isn’t a bad topic or question by any means, not by a longshot. But it’s off topic and Isn’t what the Developer Discussion should be used for

Even as a member myself, discussion should honestly be for Regulars-Only. Topics like “Whats your Dream Limited Item”, or “Whats your favorite Game you’ve Worked on”, and etc. Don’t get me wrong, some members have made very good posts that have kept a decent discussion, but I’m tired of flagging off topic posts. At least 80% of discussion belongs to Help and Feedback, or Lounge. We need to fix this.

This is true, but instead of saying the same thing over and over again.
“Developer Discussion should be ____” We should use this thread to think of more ideas. And maybe present them to the staff

Well, my opinions are sort of divided on this. Although I do miss the old full of effort posts in the discussion category, I also am just starting to get used to the low effort posts as well. Like, the low effort posts have a completely different set of ways it interests you. It leaves a short question, but it interests you in a way where you can still write a bunch about it, kind of like r/askreddit.

I feel like discussion should be split into two categories, one, where only regulars can post and is generally for serious development discussions that are long, have tons of effort, and in general, can get you to write an essay on their topic, and another one, which is more suited for casual development discussion such as “What type of game would you make if you had to rely on that game’s income for the rest of your life?”.

Both genres are good, and yeah, I get this was meant to address the posts that don’t really belong in discussion, but I didn’t see these casual posts until members were allowed access, so that’s just my thoughts on making the discussion category only available to members.

1 Like

I think that their should just be a totally different category for this. Or bring back the regular forums

We don’t need to even remove or make it Regular-only.
All Roblox needs to do is simply make posting in #development-discussion stricter, nothing else.
It’s too harsh to not let Members discuss about development, which is solely the purpose of #development-discussion.
These new “spammy” posts are made by Members who just joined, so their first posts wouldn’t be what you call high-quality.
Sure, some people may put some posts that are spam, but the Developer Relations Team teach them a lesson and the people that posted never do it again. It’s simple.
Note: I do not want to vote in the poll, so no.

I agree, either change the process for new members or have more stricter moderation. Period.

But… I still agree, as half the threads i posted in gets unlisted and locked. It’s annoying.

I’m talking about new members. Just take a look at some of the posts and replies. Why didn’t the forum have a system for newcomers to read or examine the rules page mandatory, before being able to leave or talk to discobot, or ect. If I recall, the discobot didn’t even introduce the rules.

Well, I took at look at your topics and they seem unnecessary. THINK before posting, will this help someone? Take this post in example. Many people voted and replied to it, because it is a problem that arises a lot. Not trying to get political, but take this for example:
Republicans want execution to be a thing in the US, Democrats don’t. That’s a good discussion. There is a lot of discussion, and lots of useless things arise. It doesn’t help, often times making it worse!

1 Like

This is one topic that I think is not appropriate. It doesn’t have anything to do with what is the Development Discussion.

This is like the most common thing in #forum-feedback, there’s always something about Members making bad posts.

This is inevitable so restricting it from Members just leads them to the #help-and-feedback channels instead.

This category is 100% needed for the Members because it allows for discussion on things Members cannot have in #help-and-feedback and without it, they are now more likely to resort to misusing #help-and-feedback for topics they could have made in #development-discussion.

Removing it, now where would discussion topics go to when it doesn’t fit the categories?

People discussing in this subcategory Members making bad posts have never been the cause to moderators changing anything so only expect to share an opinion.

2 Likes

That’s the reason there’s trust levels. Just because new members need to know and explore doesn’t mean they have to write spam- ish and recycled topics. That’s the reason the trust level exists, if you actually have dedication to use the Forum as a development tool and a way to help others than that’s how you’ll be able to access the #lounge category and become a regular. That’s like saying that a community editor should have as much power as one of the sages because they might make a mistake and can’t fix it because there not a sage.

I wouldn’t say keep adding to the post about new spammy posts. Too many get added everyday, everyone here discussed this topic and now it’s just part of a big category of member hate.

Here’s a thread full of sarcasm
https://devforum.roblox.com/t/how-to-get-a-terrible-reputation/781709
This thread is showcasing how to steal assets.
Note: Do not do the same, this will result in a ban!

dude, it’s sarcastic, i meant it in the wrong way

I literally meant to showcase someone stealing my assets and poorly executed it, it’s obviously not serious as stated at the top ;/

Here’s the reason why more bad quality posts are appearing.
It’s Roblox fault in the first place for not making reading the guidelines mandatory.

That isn’t the problem. The problem was what you posted broke the forum guidelines and the development discussion guidelines. Sarcastic or not the post doesn’t belong in development discussion and not any other category as far as I know, calling people out aka publicly shaming people isn’t good behavior either (which was the point of your post).

2 Likes

Exactly. This is a place to discuss development. Not little silly jokes.

1 Like