What are you working on currently? [2016]

Working on some significant changes to Sound Volblox’s mid-track UI, along with planning new features that will be applied in a future update. I’ve been wanting to do these for a while, and if I can finish the last 4 tracks that need to be charted, I can use the time until Halloween to work on these changes.

• Converting score meter and rate gauge to 2D UI (as opposed to 3D, as it is currently)
  • Score meter will now display Hi-Speed setting and current BPM
  • New player data frame will show your basic stats (name, current rank, previous clear type, and in-game avatar)
  • Side panels will show players that are battling you in the current song, using the data from their player data frame, along with their current score and rate

Early mockups:

Track Entry animation (lines on sidebars flow in from top and bottom, meet at center):

Gameplay (lines on sidebars flow from in to out):

Edit: New images

9 Likes

Combined and optimized hats with gear using custom meshes to create some neat Halloween weapons. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Good use of the sounds, Nice job!

Been working on cloning the roblox ParticleEmitter API for my own C# project :slight_smile:

Currently working on a game for this winter season. Hopefully gonna make it in time for February’s sponsorship theme: Winter games! =)

43 Likes

I joined ROBLOX in 2008 and Blockland sometime after that. The one thing that amazed me most about Blockland was their snow mountain map and how I could snowboard down it, and I was pretty sad I couldn’t do that on ROBLOX which I played a lot more often. It’s pretty sweet seeing one of my childhood dreams coming to fruition, especially with those sick animations :P

3 Likes

How to break your arm tutorial

3 Likes

That looks like it would break some joints.

Add a mode where you have to break as many as you can.

1 Like

Will do different types of challenges like trick races & time races. “(Don’t) Treat Yourself” competitions sounds like a great addition :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s something…multi dimensional going on here…

In all seriousness, I was inspired by portal’s portals and tried to make my own. It kinda works, but really lags the client when you’re camera gets too close (aka, you are seeing too much, making the client work harder :frowning: ) I don’t even what to put it into my portal room thing (which works btw. I just need to make the portal looks like portals, which sadly has failed.)

I haven’t been able to fix that issue, but eh. I’ll just leave this pill of depression on roblox and call it blame until the future.

9 Likes

How’d you accomplish that?

That’s awesome! I remember seeing those in like 2008 (and even made my own). Are you just cutting parts and drawing rays?

Serious black magic (the dirty kind) and a lot of things that can only be done in this situation because of the block sizes and types.

I took all the squares and got its corner points (only one face’s, top in this situation). I made 3 tables to allow me to easily access data that is needed depending on what I had. I also cut duplicated points. So a point could have around 4 parts if done properly (I also make sure no round errors happen.)

Once the loop starts it gets the “window’s”/portal’s corners (on one surface) and gets the bounding box*. I then check which points are in the box by using WorldToScreenPoint (probable cause of low fps.**) If it is, I efficiently (I think)** make the part visible. If not, it disappears.

Note that I don’t keep setting properties unless it needs to be changed (which is why it doesn’t lag in general, only when you’re looping through too many corner points.)

If anyone has a better method, pray tell.

*The plan was to use a bounding box to remove a majority of the points, then do a more accurate method to find out if the point is within the window/portal, but if it didn’t even work with this simplistic method. I’m not sure it’ll work with a more accurate one. :frowning:
** I just realized it’s probably lagging because of how I “efficiently” enable/disable parts. I’ll try to remake it later. (Right now, each new point runs 2-3 loops per point to check for things.)

Extra info: square sizes are 8x1x8 (including the window.) There are 486 corners it could possibly loop through.

2 Likes

Working on some renders <3

Edit: The model is from Elite Dangerous

blob.jpg

2 Likes

I once did that, trying to create (the door part of) a TARDIS, but it’s very… laggy.
In your example, you can still see holes now and then, which is a problem I had too.
Either you don’t see something inside you should, or you see something outside you shouldn’t.
Only fix was to subdivide the parts, so it has a “higher resolution”, but it also increases the lag a lot…
tl;dr: not easy to have it look good and/or work fast

This is because of the issue I addressed earlier. If there were fewer parts, it works with no issues at all. I also am not running the loop like I should, which adds to this problem.[quote=“einsteinK, post:3826, topic:19325”]
Only fix was to subdivide the parts, so it has a “higher resolution”, but it also increases the lag a lot…
[/quote]
Yeah, this is what I also concluded. :frowning:

I may have found a fix to my lag problem, but not sure atm. You’ll know I did when you see a portal level sample working in the near future. :wink:

sweet, I hope to see it in the winter. I remember playing a lot of SSX Tricky on the gamecube. Actually I still have the game on my shelf, I wonder if it still plays.

1 Like

I tried dividing my thing in triangular sections, which worked a bit:

Until you get closer/further to/from the door, then the sections start to be too wide/narrow.
(or the problem was I only tested moving closer to the door, but not parallel… one of the two)
I would almost have to be sure a player('s camera) will be less than X studs from the door.
(I gave up, while I had only done the horizontal plane for now. Doing vertical too… eh…)

EDIT: What I didn’t draw, is that when you get too far away, you can see triangular sections both inside and outside the doorframe, which is very… bad

1 Like

I get a slight feel of Metroid from that. :smiley:

It’s from Elite Dangerous

3 Likes