What are you working on currently? [2016]

This is beautiful, but you can’t forget the Roblox lighting too : (
I’m also working on something that I believe currently looks more “realistic” than a lot of things right now. But the lighting just really gives it all away. This is why I’m hoping zeuxcg’s lighting system is shipped one day within the next 2 years.

1 Like

Been fiddling with some designs. Left is the first draft, right is the second. Top image shows what it looks like when you mouse over and bottom image is what it looks like when you mouse out. Ended up leaving the first one behind because it felt kinda weird having three rows of text just for one image when there can be hundreds of images…

Progress 2. Been trying to rapid prototype and see what looks good. Had to abandon the first design because the fade covered part of the camo/skin image and it didn’t show what gun the skin/camo was for. Apart from some contrast issues with yellow and green, I think it looks okay now.

Still managed to keep some of the old design. Mousing over still shows tier:

5 Likes

I’ve been working on detecting intersection between moving fixed length ropes and lines for a possible future project.

Proved quite difficult since I had to implement my own catenary curve because ROBLOX doesn’t provide any way to check where the rope is.

https://gyazo.com/0b7a470ecbe9a848c60a0f4116131f14

The two red bricks represent the line and the bricks along the rope represent the intersection.

17 Likes

Have you thought of putting a black/white outline around the inside of the frame, to add a visual border between the frame and the camo?

1 Like

Ended up going through 5 drafts. Fading in looks really cool for some camos but it clashes with most. Look at the bottom 3 camos of any draft for instance. Not only does it clash for some of them, it obscures the texture itself. Ended up going back to 100% flat UI and removed gradients, removed borders, changed the scheme, then added a drop shadow to finish it off.

Definitely worth the 6 hours I spent on 1 button today lol.

1 Like

Is volume scattering still strictly only a CPU thing though?

1 Like

no, monte carlo is parallelizable

How did you solve the catenary equations??? I tried to do it a few months back but I gave up. Care to open source it?

Um, what?

1 Like

Nah, it works on GPU too

2 Likes

“ROBLOX is just a copy of Minecraft”

jesus, this looks amazing!

Blacksmith

5 Likes

@GuestCapone GPU doesn’t support open shading language yet so please keep that in mind when using it

And yes volume scatter works since 2.77

2 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

I’ve been working on animations lately and tried to master them here is a walking cycle(with rifle) made in 1 hour:

GIF

And a basic idle:

GIF

What do you think should i continue with these stuff? :3

10 Likes

Yeah, it’s pretty neat to see R15 animated past the default animations. I’d suggest animations for crouching/crouch walking/taking cover behind barriers/etc if you’re looking for new animations to make. If you’d like feedback on the current animations, the gun should be held more tightly towards the chest in the idle, and there should probably be a little movement of the gun during the walking animation instead of leaving it perfectly anchored in relativity to the torso.

I calculated the x shift and y shift to put the catenary in the right place. To solve for a I then used newtons method.

I assume the part you struggled with was solving for a. To find a you need to use a root solving algorithm, since it doesn’t need to be particularly accurate it was best to use Newtons Method because it’s quick.

However this proved to be a problem because the algorithm is prone to overshooting and returning infinite values with very steep curves because f’(x) = 0. This was because my starting point (the initial guess) was too high, so I made the function recurse, making the intial guess smaller each time until f’(x) ~= 0. There are more efficient ways to do this but I decided to keep it simple.

I’d love to open source it in a month or two once I’ve done something with it since a lot of hours went into it. I’ll let you know when I do.

1 Like

Shouldn’t the arms move a bit up/down-wards for the walking movement?

@IDontHaveAUse, PumpkinWhite, and Toxinous are now a part of the Team !mpact artist team and I’m pretty excited about it.

Toxinous made the bubblegum sniper skin
IDontHaveAUse made the Phoenix (firebird) skin
PumpkinWhite made the Frontline and Hex skins

IDontHaveAUse then rendered them for GUI purposes :smiley:

The skins

12 Likes

Aaah those look amazing :open_mouth: