What are you working on currently? (2021)

Managed to UV unwrap and bake the sculpt on a low poly mesh! Time to texture now!

18 Likes

Bro, that looks sick! I can’t wait to see the finished version!

1 Like

Jello crossroads tower crushing in on itself:

14 Likes

It looks like a bouncy castle!

2 Likes

I’ve made some more benches and gym mats for my side project…

I’m thinking of a game in which players can customise their own gym through different themes. I created these to get a better idea of how each theme might look.

Creating these has certainly tempted me to get some exercise… :cake: :x:

19 Likes

Those benches and gym mats look good!

1 Like

Spyro! This was my favorite video game series growing up! I sure hope you’re following copyright laws here

“Yeah, I lift bro.”

“How much?”

“500 bricks.” :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Not bad! I like the style you’re going for. Were these masterpieces made in Blender by chance?

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Only the weights, the hexagons on the mats, and the screws on the side of the racks were made with Blender (which only really took about 40 seconds in total). The rest was made with Studio.

We’re currently going for a very vibrant, cartoonish theme with our game, hence the SmoothPlastic and the bright colours. I tried to incorporate as much detail as possible to make them look :fire: rather than keep everything strictly limited to low-poly.

Yikes that’s fast! Honestly I’ve never understood Blender, but then again I’ve only ever tried it like 2 or 3 times…

Well you definitely did a great job of keeping your builds detailed. Many people have a hard time building low-poly while still staying high-quality.

Well your hard work is definitely paying off, you impressed me. Keep up the great work friend! :smiley:

1 Like

Portfolio: Crazed | Mid Poly Builder

Place Link: Wooden Office [RAR] - Roblox

40 Likes

561bbab64cb95cc6202fb6619e3cefd5

Last update I’ll make publicly (not promised) about randomly generated terrain plants.

Currently I can generate and place ~2,100 flowers in ~0.035 seconds. All thanks to custom caching and efficient code.

I’ll be using it in my (future) games so everytime a new map is loaded there will be a new and completely random/different placement of flowers. It’s practically useless but I like when games don’t look the exact same everytime you play them.

Edit: Thanks to @F1ndlay, I reduced it down to ~0.022 seconds per ~2,100 flowers. As well as saving tons of resources in terms of sending and receiving network.

12 Likes

yep, all of the models where made by me, although I’m not entirely sure that the wooden crate counts as I edited the wooden crate free model when I was first testing the game. However I have plans to create a new crate model, then everything in the game will have been created by me (excluding the music, which I got from the roblox APM music library)

model comparison:

3 Likes

Finally textured! Took me 6 hours to figure out few problems and texture it… It’s worth it!

32 Likes

Since your code is so efficient, you could consider only generating the flowers around the player’s camera to potentially reduce any lag for weaker devices. If you do that you could also increase / change the density in certain areas so that you could create flower fields, etc.

You should definitely include the flowers in games that you create, they look beautiful!

1 Like

damn that’s beautiful! I’ve been following your progress for a while now since some of your first posts on the forum, It’s insane to see how far you’ve come already!

1 Like

I considered that but everything is generated on the server, wouldn’t looping through and removing flowers not near the player cause more harm than good?

Should I consider generating on the client instead?

1 Like

I would definitely consider doing it on the client, as it allows for much more flexibility, such as changing the render distance for the flowers, or giving users the ability to enable or disable them, and it would also reduce the amount of data being sent through the network. It’s not at all necessary to generate them on the client, but if you have the time to make the switch I’d recommend it.

1 Like

Before, generating on the server:

06807130684b528a9fcc31ecd6e82dea
b5204e2a4e918f34076eb9f1e5b1c1b0 (Each new line is the amount of time it took to generate ~2k flowers.)

Now, generating on the client:

5986aeed1c4e683cbc5b129ea431aad2
77b5e96879c949756344af72a19d4640

Thank you!

2 Likes