What is the easiest way to learn blender?

I am really curious and I also want to learn blender.

10 Likes

It’s different for every person. Some learn by having someone tell them what they’re doing wrong and some do it with YouTube videos. There are many Discord servers and YouTube videos that specialize in helping people learn how to use Blender.

10 Likes

I agree I think YouTube videos really help use Blender.
#Having issues with Blender?

7 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

Removed and edited some responses that were from the old version of OP.

If you want to learn Blender you should watch: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndrewPPrice

5 Likes

I personally prefer having someone giving me live feedback on what I do when I’m learning. YouTube is good only for learning theory.

4 Likes

@HoudiniDev’s tutorials, which are listed below. They taught me blender quickly and efficiently. I learned it (the basic keybinds!!) within a day, as opposed to most tutorials, which usually take weeks.

Tutorial #1

Tutorial #2

Tutorial #3

13 Likes

Make sure you have installed Blender 2.8. The learning curve will be easier with that one since they’ve finally decided to adhere to some common software norms. Start with beginner tutorials (e.g. YouTube) and then follow your interests (search for tutorials that expand on what you already know and move you toward what you want to learn).

Remember that Blender is just a tool, like a hammer. Learning to use it won’t make you an architect. If you learn to use the software and still aren’t producing the kind of work you want to see, then you may need to look into design or other art videos to strengthen those areas. If you’re a good artist, then learning Blender will allow you to make good 3D art. Learning Blender isn’t likely to make you a good artist. There are different videos for that and a different path to success.

Continuing with the 3D app as a tech tool idea, there are primarily two kinds of things you will want to track when learning:

1. What the app can do (operations and where to find them)
  2. Recipes/techniques/processes/methods/whatever to achieve some result

A great deal of what you see in a how-to video will be forgotten by the time you really need it. I recommend creating a notes file (or several) and using that as you watch the videos. I studied 3D art in college, so the notes I take are mostly about hotkeys and techniques. Your notes may include definitions for terms or concepts you run across.

I’ve attached a section of Blender 2.8 notes that I made recently. This is from a txt file that I keep open in the background and write to as I go. Later, I’ll reorganize the notes and consolidate and sometimes print cheat sheets if I’m able to group things meaningfully for some task.

Blender Notes Example

Ortho View HotKey
Use Alt+MMB to change ortho views (swipe in direction)

Unclick the following to keep layouts from changing when you open a new file
Edit->Preferences->Save & Load->Load UI

To Parent Rigid Objects to Bones
Select Bone in Object Mode->Hit Tab for Edit->Left Click the bone head
Shift+S for cursor menu->press 2-> tab to exit edit mode
Add->Empty->Name the empty->Select empty then parent with ctrl+p and sel Object

Sculpt Keyboard Shortcuts
Ctrl+D activates Dyntopo
Ctrl - hold this to invert the tool (sub instead of add)
Edit-> Lock Object Modes - This will sculpt mode to switch between objects (Alt-L Click)
- Will need to hit tab to go into edit mode and update mesh or it does weird things.
Alt+LMB - I’ve set this to work as object selection
Alt+MMB - center the camera on the mouse click
Shift button to smooth
Alt+B to isolate region for sculpting (to get behind things). Alt+B again to remove

Sculpt Combine Objects Into One Sculpt
For things close together (separate limbs, fingers, etc), it’s good to make them discrete objects.
Then merge together later. Use the boolean modifier. Will need to remove duplicate after union-merge (apply).

Sculpt Simplify
Use Decimate modifier

Sculpt Smooth Without Losing Detail
Choose brush like Blob and set strength to 0
Turn on Dyntopo
Set detail to something small like 5 px

Sculpt Change Shape With Lattice
Shift+A to add Lattice (may need to scale up to see it)
Click Lattice Properties Editor and adjust resolution to add control points
Select sculpt obj and add Lattice modifier (eye dropper to sel Lattice we made)
Go into edit mode (tab) for the lattice and made changes

Sculpt Masking
M button to activate
Ctrl button to paint remove mask
Shift paint to smooth border of mask
Ctrl+i to invert mask
Alt+M to remove mask when done with it

Sculpting Hair

1. Start with sphere and push it around to get general shape
  2. Use plane with solidify and subdivision modifiers. Extrude to get curve. Edge loops for sharpness. Prop editing.
  3. Strands of hair with curves (taper and bevel shapes)
    flat on bottom and a peak on top

Sculpting Thin Shapes
Look under Options for brush and click “Front Faces Only”

6 Likes

I dont think theres a “easy way”. If you want to learn then put the time and effort into it instead of trying to find a easy way out.

2 Likes

Even though it may not seem like it, YouTube videos may help. I also suggest trying to experiment yourself!

1 Like

Blender 2.80 is still in beta. It is unstable and I don’t recommend developing with it as it has many bugs.
Use it at your own risk and make sure to always save your files.

3 Likes

Stop searching.

Do this:
Open this video and Open Blender

Put the image on the 3d World

Add>Empty>Image

Captura

and open your image

you will probably need to Press R+Z and press 90 To rotate the image 90 degrees, it works the same way for X and Y axis so R+X 90 etc.

And just literally start following every single step he does as you model your thing, he puts the keys he press at the left corner.

2 Likes

I found that watching Blender Guru tutorials were best to learn the keys and what they do, but after that you should be creative and build something original.

2 Likes

Can’t argue with that as a blanket warning for anything beta. Where are you finding bugs, though? I’ve found 2.8 to be very stable as far as the modeling and sculpting are concerned. I’m on my second version of 2.8 and it hasn’t crashed. The only work I’ve lost is texture map edits, but that’s a design problem + user error and not a stability issue. I don’t think it’s advisable to create elaborate scenes or full projects in anything beta, but avoiding 2.8 as a modeling tool for Roblox seems extreme.

“Use it at your own risk and make sure to always save your files,” is good advice anytime you touch a computer. Blender 2.8 is the easiest version of Blender to learn, and it is the direction Blender is heading. That may beat out stability in this context.

1 Like

bnlendenot%20use

2 Likes

I learned by watching blender guru on YouTube. Watch his coffee cup and donut tutorial. I watched it when I was first using blender! Helped me heaps.

1 Like

I learned blender through this tutorial series

2 Likes

That’s a typical beta disclaimer. Blender 2.8 is 10x more stable than apps I’ve had to use on productions. Maybe think twice if you are planning to use it for a full length animated feature, but it’s fine for Roblox models, and it’s absolutely the place to start for users who are new to Blender.

@meepitonmc, what is your primary interest in learning Blender? Are you most interested in modeling props, hats, weapons, characters, buildings, vehicles, rocks and trees, animations, etc? We might be able to give you video/tutorial recommendations that are targeted toward your interests.

The easiest way at the moment may be tutorials from youtube such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnukkSyn5CE.

I started with Swords basic to complicated, adding more detail as I go. Remembering the keybindings as well as reading a list of all keybindings and directories to the whole layout. Next I was playing with the Modifiers to see what they do. Use mirrors for symmetrical models. Watch tutorials. I next started with mobs (not a very good idea). Start making game assets such as Trees, Crates, Metal Poles, etc. then move to buildings like houses and office buildings. After that i’d say go to mobs like wolves, bats, elephants, etc. after that work on some cars. After that renders and camera work and lighting work. Pretty key and essential.

1 Like