What is the limit for Messaging Service's active subscription?

So I’m using messaging services for chat system in my game and I got this error:
"The game server has reached the allowed limit of active subscriptions."

In the Wiki documentation I can’t find anything mentioning the limit of active subscriptions. Why is this happening?

2 Likes

5 + 2* num players

Roblox Studio = 5+2*1=7

1 Like

Here a nice link: MessagingService | Roblox Creator Documentation there is a table that shows its limitation

Yeah, which part of the table says MessagingService max active subscription? Please don’t feed links without context/explanation.

@nidor_x Can I ask where you found that info?

2 Likes

Documentation is outdated. You can test local with the script below. Enable API Request in Roblox Studio and run.

local MessagingService  = game:GetService("MessagingService")

local topic_prefix = 'topic_';

spawn(function()

wait(3)

for i = 1, 10 do
      local topic = topic_prefix..i
      local connection
      local success, err = pcall(function()
         connection = MessagingService:SubscribeAsync(topic, function()
            --- empty
         end)
      end)

if success then 
         print('Successfully connected to the "'..topic..'" topic')
      else
         warn('Error connecting to "'..topic..'" topic', err)
      end
      wait(2)
   end
end)

Output

12:59:13.993  Successfully connected to the "topic_1" topic  -  Server - Server:28
  12:59:16.428  Successfully connected to the "topic_2" topic  -  Server - Server:28
  12:59:18.895  Successfully connected to the "topic_3" topic  -  Server - Server:28
  12:59:21.312  Successfully connected to the "topic_4" topic  -  Server - Server:28
  12:59:23.729  Successfully connected to the "topic_5" topic  -  Server - Server:28
  12:59:26.146  Successfully connected to the "topic_6" topic  -  Server - Server:28
  12:59:28.595  Successfully connected to the "topic_7" topic  -  Server - Server:28
  12:59:31.008  Error connecting to "topic_8" topic "The game server has reached the allowed limit of active subscriptions."  -  Server - Server:30
  12:59:33.401  Error connecting to "topic_9" topic "The game server has reached the allowed limit of active subscriptions."  -  Server - Server:30
  12:59:35.804  Error connecting to "topic_10" topic "The game server has reached the allowed limit of active subscriptions."  -  Server - Server:30

ps. You can increase the number of players in Studio to test the behavior

2 Likes

Old link