What we announced at RDC 2023

Hopefully the banning feature, alt-account detection, and extended anticheat come sooner rather than later. A lot of these were also announced at last year’s RDC and we’re still waiting for them. Though I’m just glad they’re still being acknowledged and not forgotten about.

5 Likes

“duck and crouch, improved swimming, and object interactions.”

Seems cool. Wish there was a bit more. maybe a premade byfron server side script that you could edit your game to would also be nice.

Maybe this isn’t all of it, Im not sure but it feels kind of small compared to last year, Not that most of it is bad.

If the 17+ dating is real I might quit Roblox development no joke though. I know it will be on other games but I dont really want to be working on a website with that being a thing. However it is better that it requires an id at least.

(RIP my almost 2 year FPS project I was working on. I might end up not quitting but I feel very strongy against the 17+ player on player dating.)

6 Likes

Wouldn’t that just make it easier to exploit if it was open for the world to see?

2 Likes

Hints server side. things like anti noclip and speed limiter. You cant really bypass those as they just teleport the player back unless they can edit the server. (But then that would mean there would be bigger problems to worry about)

5 Likes

I don’t want to be that person but, I was not all that impressed by what I saw.

• I do not understand the point of Roblox Connect or why I should use it. I don’t understand the point of that vs. just going into an experience normally. It feels like some vrchat-based dating wizardry. If I wanted to talk to people better, I use Discord. If I want to talk to them on a more personal level, I use facetime or whatsapp.

• Generative AI, while cool, is going to take roles / jobs away from talented individuals. I don’t know if there’s enough of a reason to have these as actual tools. It feels like a way to attract investors and ride the current hype that is generative AI. It’s also in bad taste considering many people in the gaming / film industry are actively being replaced by these tools in order to cut costs and minimize labor. It doesn’t feel smart to push that onto a community that thrives on creating and finding ways to make money. For instance, I really don’t need level designers / map creators because, what I saw gives me enough of a basis to do it on my own. I’m sure there are other instances but, that’s the general idea it gave me.

• AI code completion just feels like a knock-off of github co-pilot. How does it differ from just using github copilot?

• File sync. If this is a drop-in replacement to Rojo, that’s great. If not, it’s a good first step but, won’t stop me from just using Rojo. A bit curious as to who this feature targets since most people who would want this feature also use Rojo.

Outside of file-sync, did the majority of people even ask for this?

I don’t understand how you can have immersive experiences when textures and images are limited to 1024x1024. Even in the demos and videos showcases, all of them looked like some hacked together project and you could quite literally, feel how plastic-y it felt. It feels like Roblox. That’s not a good thing.

Zero mention of 4K support if ever. It’s 2023 (almost 2024). Absolutely ridiculous.

You should seriously just force people to verify IDs if you’re now going to ID-lock things behind a wall. if I am paying you money (through premium), it should be enough to verify I am real. Logically, where else would that money be coming from?

I don’t think a banning API is enough. And I really don’t know what the entire API constitutes. Do we have granular control over these guidelines or are is it just options to choose from? I get that we want surprises but, I rather be informed than expect this to ship and then, get annoyed because of some limitation someone failed to mention. This is a important to a lot of us.

If I had a dollar for every year I’ve seen this, I’d have enough to build Roblox from scratch and create Xolbor whilst unlocking the 6th dimension. I hope this is serious this time.

Hands down the only thing that matters to me and I care about. The fact that it took this long to come out with something like this (as opposed to storing keys in plaintext or whatever else) is crazy. I’m happy that there’s going to be dedicated, standardized place for this. Thanks to the people that worked on this. I’ve been praying for this since 2010. 13 years… lol

Y’all should really work on fixing more existing issues / problems rather than coming up with features that don’t really help people or developers. I’m not saying that all these things are bad / don’t help. Some of it is good (100% proceeds on marketplace, ban api, api secret support is great) but, it’s glaringly obvious that there’s a huge disconnect between what we actually want vs. what you want to push onto us to advance whatever business strategy and I don’t think pushing things onto a historically, resisted-to-change community is going to move / push things forward.

I would’ve been happy if the keynote was ten minutes long with the phrases: “We support Rojo & API keys!!”, “We support high quality textures!! (4K)” and “We have dedicated / supported dedicated tooling to properly fight off against exploiters and bad actors!!”.

I hope I’m wrong. I really do. I hope the good things ship.

I would appreciate if Roblox stopped throwing branding down my throat in my games. Trust me, people know it’s Roblox. You don’t need to slap the logo and whatever else into every corner of the screen for people to know.

With the simplification of other engines these days (Unreal, Unity, etc) that don’t do any of this nonsense and don’t feel stuck in 2015, y’all really have to get this right or you’re wasting time and losing your developers to adjacent platforms.

15 Likes

Man, I sure do love those subscrBiptions. I hope I can make so many moneys with subscrBiptions that people forget to cancel!

But…

If they could at least see the earnings, it would be great.

Cool. How will it be taxed? What will prevent people from distributing the source for free?

I wonder what the “SUS” games would be like… actually nvm i dont want to visualize it

The main idea of this thread is that that the audio update was just not addressed for over a year, and they want people to forget about it.

3 Likes

Interesting…

I assume the video uploads will initially be locked to private and exclusively for use in games the uploader can edit, just like how audio still is currently.

2 Likes

It takes an id to make a 17+ game so i doubt anyone will make one with a 17+ rating

5 Likes

Some people in the Roblox community will do anything to make money.

1 Like

True. Luckily ive heard one creator has gotten a DMCA and needed to stop. Hopefully they do this with other TOS breaking “game creators” too.

The thing is the TOS breaking part might change if it makes them more money.

Its not stable unless its a gimbling website. Which I dont support any of them all but you get my picture

You might be able to get robux but not real money with devx. And you will have hefty taxes with roblox + any 3rd party robux to money websites.

Roblox has been massively cooking lately but it’s odd how much the visual department has gotten ignored recently.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for these more updates, RDC has been great so far on new features.

Ah, wouldn’t having public items in marketplace be an issue? Just saying earlier this year they were releasing mass amounts of fake Roblox limited items and that was WITH applications still being a thing. Please let me know if i’m missing anything.

excluding tax and payment processing fees

What exactly does it mean? It still has tax, or is it removed?

1 Like

devex tax is still applied I think is what it means

Probaly will look like this “secret UI update” that I have experienced. Rumour has it that it was Xbox Series X|S exclusive, and given out to a very small percentage of console players but it’s really hard to track down info about this menu on the internet.

Maybe with the new corporate style announced at RDC. The UI is similiar to the one at RDC, but buggy and integrated with the Xbox backgrounds and Durango code.

Roblox is working on upgrading the console experience.

3 Likes

when will we have full video support

1 Like

After all these years… FILE SYNCING!! Thank you so much, my life is now complete. :partying_face:

1 Like