What we announced at RDC 2023

you can still watch it, i watched the entire thing even though it was streaming during school hours

2 Likes

I donā€™t like most of these changes, donā€™t get me wrong I donā€™t mind generative AI changes and the general improvements to the game engine which are great, especially the lighting. But I think what is trying to be done here is Roblox is straying far away from being a game engine and instead trying to be a metaverse-like app. I mean, avatars-from-selfies, e-dating, upper body and face movement (who needs this?), calling (likeā€¦ who knows who youā€™re calling and who knows what Roblox does with the recorded calls, and arenā€™t there better platforms for this kind of thing? Discord especially), also opening UGC to everyone (just seems like a disaster waiting to happen). Instead of trying to turn Roblox into an all-encompassing metaverse, which have been costed god-knows-how-many millions of dollars, it should be a bigger priority for Roblox to improve user experience, some ideas of mine are: updating their servers (75ms+ ping is considered high to players of other games) and their game engine which was the reason why Roblox blew up in the first place. Also, Iā€™ll just say the school idea is stupid. Why would a social place, where you make real friends and form real bonds, be moved to a virtual place, where you cant do any of that.

9 Likes

YOOOO LETS GO!!!

This is what people have been asking for!

3 Likes

For such a massive company, their stock price is yet again still way too low. They are not caring about developers as much as they did before going public, now all they care about is shareholdersā€™ opinions. They need to start caring about developers again because thatā€™s what makes them money.

9 Likes

A typo I have found.

subscrBiptions?!

2 Likes

Huh. This is interesting.

Werenā€™t people getting moderated for doing this themselves?

1 Like

The updates are pretty great, in my opinion! (Except for the Calling, Iā€™m not too fond of it. It just sets way too many red flags. Overall, I donā€™t think it would be reasonable to use it, considering there are many other social media platforms like Discord). Besides that:

Videos are slowly being rolled out! Hurray!

However, this begs the question: What video extensions are allowed?

It would be AWESOME to have .webm support because it has transparency features. I find this a bit of a stretch, considering the Video feature is brand new. (I wonā€™t talk about how long it has been promised to come to Roblox). However, that would be a stunning and diverse feature.

With that said, will there be any Effect Instances for videos? I doubt this would be a thing, but it would be a great feature. This would be something like the effect instances that the Audio has, such as PitchShifter or Equalizer.

3 Likes

It would be nice to see the ability to control replication of objects without having to use hacky methods with ReplicatedStorage, This would be great for so many cases.

3 Likes

Great changes coming in 2024 and in the upcoming months I am happy that they are finally partnering with vs code! Although idk whats happening with Rojo like will they be partnering with the creator of Rojo like what they did with CollectionService or they just fully going to make Rojo useless and leave the creator of Rojo with nothing?

1 Like

They might mean the level of the filter itself, and not letting developers filter it themselves. Roblox will still punish accounts and games that fail to use the filter API.

3 Likes

All of these are really great updates, but Iā€™m worried about one specific feature: subscriptions.

Iā€™m down for new features to help developers earn money for their hard work, but seeing this use real money instead of robux is extremely worrying. What kind of limits will Roblox put on how much people can spend in one go? How easy will it be for a child to just hit a button and use their parents credit card? Will developers use this for scummy marketing tactics?

Itā€™s just things Iā€™m thinking about, hopefully Roblox knows about these issues and addresses them according so that unwanted charges and scenarios donā€™t happen.

3 Likes

This feature is completely a JOKE.

Date

I canā€™t find anything to sayā€¦

UGC for everyone

It looks beautiful when you first see it, but now open the catalog and take a look. The ugc creators are people approved by roblox, and there are too many copies of roblox items, and I canā€™t imagine what will happen when this feature is turned on to all users.

I liked the other new features and RDC in general. Itā€™s great that roblox is finally coming to Playstation. Iā€™m really wondering if roblox developers will be able to use features such as dualsense haptic feedback. If yes, very nice games can be made EPIC.

3 Likes

well id like to add to this so we as some devs has payhip, and we use parcel for product hubs which someone buys asset they get notified in discord and they download the file with the asset so how will that work is it only based on usd and no option for rbx since thats what product hubs are for becuse they run off roblox api which gives robux once asset is bought. for pay hip is selling assets for usd or so which clearly dev is a good one to use as the example and what i want to also add is would we need a subscription to be able to sell our items and assets which i feel like we need more info on how it would work

2 Likes

Edit. If you mean roblox not random developers then that would not happen.

No matter how much it makes a lot of players would leave. and a lot of parents would make their kids get off after they hear the news.

Online dating has not been enforced a lot granted you cant tell if they know each other irl and are just playing roblox together.

however these TOS breaking games have always been moderated.

2 Likes

Does that mean there going to be motion matching???

1 Like

This sounds super promising, and Iā€™m really glad lighting is finally receiving some attention after just stagnating for so long.

By ā€œensure the highest quality lighting for every deviceā€, does this mean youā€™re finally looking into allowing more complex effects like volumetrics, at least for PCs / whatever devices can support it? There are lots of other lighting features people have requested for a long time too, many of which are brought up in this post:

It seems the lack of updates to lighting were mostly due to concern over mobile performance, but with the newer approach seeming to acknowledge that different devices have different capabilities Iā€™m curious to know if any of the commonly requested features are being considered now.

2 Likes

Iā€™m loving pretty much everything so far! Awesome and unique updates for the future! Thanks so much :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Itā€™s finally comingā€¦ videoframe!!! After three years of waiting, its finally coming! Iā€™m so excited!!!

2 Likes

Really looking forward to the Custom Subscriptions for games,

Iā€™ve been trying to manage a way to make my future expansion content for my games affordable while still being profitable enough for the work put into it.

Subs can def improve this by being cheaper but revoking re-restricts access to the expansion content entirely.

Also the new studio stuff looking good, looking foward to using this new stuff.

too bad we didnā€™t get anything on UGC though, like are we required to have ID or can ANYONE upload stuff later on?

2 Likes

These are absolutely amazing updates, and Iā€™m happy to be alive at a time where all these exciting things are being released. Canā€™t wait for the Awards tonight!

Edit: Those were amazing awards!