What's Your Roblox Story?

Here’s mine:

Part 1: Roblox account creation

It was early 2017 and I was 11 years old (now I’m 14). I’m in school with my best friend and we talk about video games during the lunch break as usual. My friend tells me about “a game which has many minigames in it” and recommends me to try it. I watched him play it on his phone but (unfortunately) I didn’t have any space left on my phone so I couldn’t download Roblox. When I got home from school I tried out Roblox as a guest and I liked it. However, my computer at the time was a big :potato: so I didn’t really end up continuing to play Roblox because of the lag. Fast forward to June 2017 and I have a new laptop that isn’t a potato. We are in the school cafeteria with my friend once again and he wants to meet me after school because he wants to show me a cool book he found and he also wants to play a few games of Minecraft with me. I went to my friend’s house at 2 PM after my school day ended and I brought my laptop with me. I still remember that very clearly. We went into a little cottage on my friend’s massive backyard and he showed me the book because I have 3 cats so he thought I might like cat books (I still have it):

After showing me the book my friend suggested me to make a Roblox account called “CatMaster983” because the theme of the book is cats. Then I created this account I’m currently writing this on.

So that book lead to the creation of my Roblox account. That’s why that book is my favorite book of all time. That’s why I changed my Roblox character dark gray: because the cat in the cover is dark gray. That’s why I changed my Minecraft username to Cinderkittenz: because the cat in the cover is this cat right here (I might change my Roblox name soon as well, idk if book character names (even the first word of them) is copyrighted). Without that book I probably wouldn’t have a Roblox account lol.

Part 2: Learning Roblox development

Soon after the creation of my Roblox account my friend forgot his Roblox password and had to make a new account. He quit Roblox shortly after that and I was left alone on Roblox. I had already started to code in 2016 with JavaScript and I discovered that Roblox Lua is easy to pick up. In July of 2017 I started working on my first “test game” (that had a lot of free models of course). I published it in October of 2017 here (it’s private and to preserve history I don’t want to touch it). I continued to make a few test games throughout 2018 because all real games require you to be 13+ and I was 12 back then.

Part 3: First Roblox game

In 2019 I turned 13 which meant I could finally start looking for a job in #collaboration:recruitment. In October 2019 I finally started making my first real game “Obby Time” with @JustArsenic. It was released in June 2020 (the link). The game failed and in August we stopped developing it. In September-October I started making my second game “Pirates of The Dead Sea” with @rxsebvndit. It will launch in January 2021 and we already have Sketch playing it.

The future??

I’m planning on moving to USA and founding a Roblox development company of my own there once I get some games off the ground. I want to make Roblox scripting my real career at one point.

#RobloxStory

11 Likes

I’ve been developing on Roblox since 2018 and I heard of Roblox since 2014 but I joined roblox only 2018. One my friend started playing in Roblox games and I interested in that too, after a few months of playing I started developing my first games. Of course they were terrible but I learn more about free models and viruses, meshes, audio and scripts. Everyday I learn something new about Roblox and Roblox Development, my first game that got hundrets of visits was “Tournament Obby” but because I wasn’t really experienced at that time it became unplayable because of free model viruses. Actually first time I’ve seen virus in free model was sky box model by some guy called T-Rex.

That is my little story about how I started my Roblox devepment!

6 Likes

My story is when I was like 7 i made a spam account nolopgf or something like that and started playing roblox. Then i switched accounts in 2017 to an account called badpoopk i have played on the account until this year on my birthday I bought a name change for 1000 robux and decided to take on developing. Now I am beginning my developer journey!

6 Likes

In the summer of 2016, I got my first computer and I was searching for some games from google. It recommended me Roblox, I read a few lines from Wikipedia about Roblox and I instantly went to download it. End of the year 2016 I downloaded Roblox studio and started building ships and games. 2019, I learned to script. (at least something) Roblox has made me find a lot of new friends and I’ve learned to speak/write English better by chatting with people. (I’m not a native English speaker.) I’ve wanted to develop a game (and do other creative stuff like videos, music, photographing) for my whole life. Roblox has been a very good platform for me to make my ideas a reality. I’m looking forward to releasing and finishing games/projects next year.

5 Likes

I joined Roblox back in 2007 because a friend kept nagging me to play it with him (This was back in the days of Miniclip and Andkon/Flash games). Also the dark days w/ads that were like “Shoot the rabbit and win a free tablet!” I kept brushing him off, thinking it was one of those ‘Play now, free!’ scamware games. One day I caved in and played Galleons by wingman8 w/him.

I fell in love immediately - we couldn’t stop playing his games together, and our friendship strengthened.

Fast forward a few years, and I start to learn how to develop on the platform. For some context, I’m on the spectrum (Used to be severely autistic and several years behind in mental development - 5 years old and had the vocab of a 1-2 year old. Doctors said I’d never say a word in my life, and that I’d be a vegetable). With the help of my parents however, I grew out of it/learned to use my disadvantages to my advantage.

One thing I’ve always struggled with (Being on the spectrum) is creative medium. I can’t write stories, I can’t make videos, I can’t come up w/game ideas (Video games or real-life games), I can’t draw/paint etc. - in order to make a project, I need to have specific directions from someone (E.g. The color they want, the way something loads into the map, the sounds something should make, how a weapon should handle etc.)

My brain was able to bypass the creative block by programming. I started off with HTML (Basic website design), and eventually found my way into Roblox Lua. My brain was able to visualize these lines of code in Lua in real-time (Compiling and visualizing in real-time as I wrote line after line of code), which was amazing! I could paint with words, and actually see results in a creative medium without having this mental block in the way.

Fast forward a few years, I make my first project: An egg hunt for Arbirator’s Roblox News (An old blog site back in the days of Google’s Blogger that’s now gone). People loved it - it was the best feeling in the world to help someone else’s vision become a reality w/the talents I was gifted from the good lord above.

Around the same time, I used said egg hunt in a portfolio for a college I applied to. They were so impressed w/my portfolio that I got a full-ride scholarship to the dream college I wanted to attend!

As I was in college, I kept working on random game ideas/sketches to hone in my skills. Never actually finished a complete project, but just random things so I could learn how to program better.

I attended college for four years before they shut down due to allegations of fraud (I was one class away from getting my bachelor’s degree in network management w/a focus in cyber security). I then started working at Best Buy back in 2016 (As a sales consultant in the computer department) while also fixing computers as a side business.

Fast forward a few months, I meet an individual by the name of @Simbuilder through his brother @TheAmazeman (Who I helped w/some projects, mainly data management code for save profiles). He was like “Hey I need help w/this speedometer - can you help?” I wrote the speedometer, and he was impressed with it. He explained his idea (At the time called Grand Island of Robloxia), and I was 100% on board with it. So we partnered together and started fleshing out GIA into a full-fledged project. This project turned into Vehicle Simulator.

In 2017, Vehicle Simulator was launched to the public, hit over 20k concurrent players (Instantly overtaking all the games on the front page). I immediately quit my job at Best Buy/closed down my computer repair business and went to focusing on Vehicle Simulator full-time.

Now, I’m the CTO of Summit Studios Games LLC. (The owners of Vehicle Simulator), in charge of Vehicle Simulator’s development, and the owner of Gigawatt Studios (A new startup company I formed), working full-time making video games w/passionate individuals.

Roblox/Vehicle Simulator changed my life - I went from a nobody that wasn’t advancing in the world (And to be honest, was on the verge of ending their life due to severe depression) to a celebrity. The biggest thing for me was being able to take pride in the fact that I was able to produce tangible results w/my skills, and show it off to others.

I look everyday at Vehicle Simulator/our community and think to myself “Yeah, we did this - we made that project together, and changed the lives of millions/the shape of Roblox as a whole.”

@Simbuilder I couldn’t ask for a better business partner, thank you for an amazing 5 years of business together, and here’s to another 5 years, and another 5 years after that.

Short version: Am on the spectrum (Autism), never good w/creative mediums. Joined Roblox back in 2007 because a friend nagged me to play it. Started making games back in 2014/2015; almost got my degree in college, went to work at Best Buy. Launched Vehicle Simulator back in 2017, quit all my existing jobs and started working full-time on making video games.

11 Likes

(So basically I rewrote this whole thing because it was quite bad before)

My entire story:
I moved into my old house, I’d normally play club penguin and small games and such. The house next to me was empty for 2 months. Later my new neighbor moved in and told me about roblox, at first I thought she was trying to say “Robot” later to realize it was roblox, I was baffled and made an account a week later.

I proceeded to play a lot of games. At the time there was tix, I could only have 1 game active and it was quite fun to play.

Over time, during 2014 I learned about the build feature in which I built the most dysfunctional castle. Later I used roblox studio and destroyed the entire castle.

Little did I know that I got pissed and told myself, “That’s it, I’m going to figure out how to use the edit mode in studio”

Many years later, a lot of coincidences, surprising events and new memories were made throughout roblox which led me up to this very moment in which every fine detail in my life brightened me more.

I’ve been building and scripting for years now, I’m continuing my path to become a successful developer on roblox.

5 Likes

My Roots

In 2012, I joined ROBLOX off an advertisement. Little did I know that today I would have a game with a healthy community and player count of 300-400.

I worked on casual obstacle course games from about 2016-2018. This was more of a time of me just exploring that platform and really discovering how amazing sub-communities within ROBLOX can be.

Summer of 2018, I began my journey that led up to my success today. I created my first arcade machine recreation inspired by “Jumpin Jackpot”, and boy, that was some messy code.

Over the process of the next few months, I gradually improved my code and began learning different concepts. My development knowledge was like a jigsaw puzzle at this point. I could see the outlines of the picture, but the rest of the puzzle pieces were scattered all across the table. The accessibility of ROBLOX studio helped me fill that puzzle in.

I continued to develop recreations, until, ultimately, I had my first arcade. I called it Arcade Universe.

My Process of Growth

Jumping a few months ahead, I redid the building and created a somewhat polished arcade. At this point in time, my scripts were still really messy. As always though, my passion for arcade machines fueled me to continue learning and challenging myself. Later on, I decided to redo the building and map once again, and with that, version one of my ultimate creation, “Arcade Island”, was born.

The idea of “Arcade Island” was great, and it had incredible potential to be an erupting game of success. The game lasted for a few short weeks on the Play Together sort, but due to poor performance, poor visuals, and other gameplay flaws, it didn’t hold the minimum requirements and didn’t last long.

Inspired by other developers on the platform, I knew that I could transform Arcade Island into an incredible, working, healthy game if I really put everything I had learned together. I wanted to make Arcade Island 2. At this point, I could confidently call myself an amatuer in lua. I didn’t know exactly how everything worked, but I knew the basic idea of what was going on and was able to create advanced scripts on my own. The weeks that followed were exhausting - I was determined to push myself as hard as possible to reach my potential as a developer. I was motivated by the current health crisis to provide a real-life experience of arcade machines that was of great quality, and worked tirelessly. This was the period of time where I really discovered my raw and insane motivation to create. During the time of development of this game, I was going through some of my most intense personal struggles I have ever faced, in addition to the current world struggles of our health crisis. Although this game was exhausting, it was a fallback for me to develop during the health crisis - it was something to focus on, something to do, and a sense of comfort.

A Breaking Point

On September 10th, 2020, I released the sequel to Arcade Island. At last, I could view my work as a masterpiece. Of course I, as anyone would, still have room to improve the game even more and to improve my development in general. But this, now this was a GAME.

I continued to push myself to my limits. I had a second opportunity to return to the Play Together sort with the remarkable improvements I made by remaking nearly the entire game. I felt as if I was on the edge of something incredible, a breaking point of success. I was patient, focused, and did everything in my ability to grow my game and audience as much as possible. Game discovery is no easy task, but I was confident that if I built an audience, they would enjoy my quality content.

I will never forget October 20th, 2020, when ItsFunneh and the entire Krew made a video on my game. With how much passion and care I had put into all my projects, that was a day of great celebration and great pride.

Arcade Island 2 reached over a 1400 concurrent players that day. In the past 90 days, Arcade Island has grown over 300%. Development for me has evolved from a past time hobby to a part time job. Game development, both on and off the ROBLOX platform, is something I am seriously considering for the future.

Future Endeavors

Arcade Island 2 has been more than just a working roblox arcade. It has touched lives during our current health crisis and most entertainment businesses being closed. It is a community, it is a passion, and it is my masterpiece that I take great pride in.

I have learned so much about game development in ROBLOX through my roblox arcade development process of growth. I’ve learned beyond coding and modeling, but key fundamentals that make games successful. I’ve also learned other important aspects of game development, such as effective communication, attractive advertising, and so much more. The platform has helped me discover my passion to create, and I am excited to see where that takes me in the future.

If right now is the best thing that I achieve in my development career, then something went wrong. I am a competitive, focused, and determined developer. I want to continue to build healthy communities that are safe spaces for people to meet new friends and play games. I want to explore other projects besides Arcade Island 2. I want to learn more about the ROBLOX platform, because I still have a ton to learn. Although I want to continue to make money, my most important priority is to make people smile - there is no paycheck that can fulfill you more than feeling good about what you do with your time and passion.

12 Likes

i play from 2016 and… i play with a old acc and i forgot the password, then I played with another account (that I remember the password). Yeah this is my story

1 Like

I started roblox when I was about 8 years old. At first I would just watch youtube videos. It was one of the things I watched most. Then I realized it was on mobile. I had thought you could only play on the computer. I found it and started playing a lot. My brother started playing, I told my friends(Also mobile players) I remember we would go to each others houses and play roblox for hours. After a while I started wondering how people made games. I did some research and found out that you need to use a thing called Roblox Studio. I tried it, at first I thought people used all of those free models to make games. I wanted to make a tycoon, so I pretty much spammed free models. It got 50 visits. My friend made a game very similar to mine the next day. I didn’t make a game for a long time after that. I went back to playing roblox for another year. Then the Su tart games became popular. I didn’t want to copy them but I wanted to make something like them. I made Noob Vs. Thanos Story. It was getting hundreds of visits , which i thought was a big achievement. I accidentally advertised 100 robux into it, so I think that was why its still my most popular game today cause I have not advertised any other ones. The game started to get laggy after adding so many chapters. This was because of viruses from some of the free models I used. I thought it was cause there were so many models in my game. So I made a sequel that was less laggy titled, Noob Season 2. I never finished it cause I kind of took a break from roblox again. I decided to create my own group. OOF!!! Studios was the time when I started working harder on games. I made one more Noob game titled Noob Obby. I did some scripting tutorials and made some other trash games. I spent so long asking people to join my group. I got 80 members just by doing that. Over time I realized that I needed to make an original game that would not be terrible. A good game. The Order was what I decided on doing. I have been planning and hiring and all sorts of stuff for months. I realized that my games were laggy because of viruses. I got a plugin and removed the viruses from all of my games. Then I felt that OOF!!! Studios was a silly name for a silly studio. I created Blackmax Studios and am continuing there from now on. I took down some of my games that didn’t mean anything to me. I left only 2 games up Noob Obby and Guessing Master. Noob Obby was the final game in the series that made me want to be a game developer. Guessing Master was the first coded game I made without a scripting tutorial. I don’t let anyone else Into OOF!!! Studios because those people were my original supporters. Right now I am still working on The Order. I don’t really make my games for money, its really just for fun. I have seen a lot of people who are uninspired because they don’t think that their games are good enough. This game right here took about 3 hours of time and made me continue my journey. Simple things like these can really change everything.
https://www.roblox.com/games/3299675915/Noob-Vs-Thanos-story-Read-Desc
This was my first group, no point in trying to join, I’m no longer accepting members. I hope you see why I don’t use it anymore.
https://www.roblox.com/groups/5019372/OOF-Studios#!/about

2 Likes

Early 2009. Just a kid who loved LEGOs and was starting to get into the stop motion film scene on YouTube. Then a friend of mine suggest I use ROBLOX, which at the time was basically unlimited LEGO bricks on a computer. Never looked back. Seeing how much the platform has changed since then is absolutely unbelievable. Watching ROBLOX go from a hobby to where one can make more than a decent living was something I truly never thought I would see when I first joined.

2 Likes

Me and my twin sister found Roblox during summer of 2012 via some ad on a flash games site (probably silvergames idk) and we shared an account for like the longest time till we forgot the pass. it was only until 2014 I found about Roblox studio and i begged my dad who was a computer engineer who built and coded computers and devices to let me download Roblox studio and teach me how to code. the first thing he tried to teach me was how to code a moving sliding door that should have taken ten minutes for me to write up code for instead cause i was like 10 or 11 with not so good spelling it took me 4 hours to code it. and that’s pretty much how i got into Roblox and coding in Roblox

4 Likes

I started playing Roblox late 2009 and joined up in The Royal Britannic Robloxian Navy and since then have served in many Large Roblox napoleonic navies and have through out the years improved on my building skills when it came to ships.

2 Likes

I joined back in 2016 just to play with my friends. After a while, I got a lot of new friends and started joining groups mostly in the MILSIM community.

2 years ago, I started building and a few months ago, I started scripting.
At first, I just used free models in my games but after a while, I started making everything myself. Roblox has been a big part of my life. Both for getting new friends and learning new things like programming.

Almost 4-5 years after I joined, I develop almost every day for others and myself. It’s really fun and I can’t imagine a world without Roblox.

It’s a big part of my life. Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mid 2016: Started playing roblox, Roblox Deathrun is the first ever roblox game i play, still thinking we can get free robux with inspect element

Early 2017: Found out i can make roblox games, used roblox studio for the first time, tried making tycoon game with free models and its named “Marvel Tycoon”

Mid 2017: Created another new account (which is im using now), making tycoon game called “Click Tycoon” with full of free models, and made 1k visits (its just all about click and click)

Late 2017: Started learning scripting for the first time from alvinblox, just gave up after few days

Early 2018: I came back and continue learn script, and i did successfully learned basics, start making games with friends (still using free models anyways) but after few days the project canceled

Mid 2020: Have lot of knowledge about scripting, Started making youtube channel about roblox studio tutorials, making an mmorpg game on roblox named “SkyTale” (this time no free models), learned 3D modelling with blender

5 Likes

One of my friends showed me the game back in early 2012 but I never really started to get into it until I played again back in 2013. I started developing back around 2014-2015 and was hooked.

1 Like

I started playing roblox back in 2016, Which my first account was called rotui.

I didn’t know english back then. But when 2017 came, I started learning english inside Roblox and Outside Roblox.

I lost my old account and it came vithorte which its the account where i learned scripting from youtube and other learning platforms.

And now in 2020, Here we are. 2 Accounts lost and more script learning ahead.

Roblox was always a thing to me. I never will give up roblox and always will think about new ideas and new Games to i create.

4 Likes

I started Roblox around 2014, after seeing Roblox YouTubers play, I played many games and started getting into Roblox studio, my account was hacked in around 2018, without an email, I changed into a new account.
2019, I started developing scripts and blocks. I started socializing with other people in Roblox groups like SPC’s, cults, and armies. I made many friendships through the 2 years.
2020, Social distance and home learning started, so I played roblox during class breaks and during boring school work. I started using more time into roblox and stop playing other games. After a while I decided to startmaking youtube videos on a group game.
On 20/11/20, I started writing in roblox devforms about my roblox story

4 Likes

I started Roblox in 2015 when my cousin was telling me about this cool free game on the Xbox store. So I got Roblox started playing Natural Disaster Survival and couldn’t stop playing. Fast forward about 7-8 months (I think) when @berezaa made miners haven and I played for hours on hours with my cousin. In about 2017 when I started playing on a laptop I got for Christmas that year I started wondering how there are so many games on Roblox. I later found out that they were made by the players and I started making crappy free model games (yes, they are on my profile if you want to play them) and made about 125 robux I think. I then left Roblox because of the fortnight craze (yes I’ve been playing since beta) in 2018 and just this year in early 2020 I have started making real Roblox games. This time around I had real game dev experience though because I had done unity game development the year before. Now I’m making a couple game prototypes and will always come back to Roblox some way or another.

2 Likes

I started playing ROBLOX in 2012 by watching my cousin play. He introduced me to it but kind of in a mean way haha. I was about seven years old and didn’t know anything about the game! When I was a guest, he opened a random game for me before he left. It was Build To Survive The Monsters. I didn’t know what the heck that game was or how to do it.

After the monsters chased and scared the living crap out of me, I left the game and haven’t played roblox until I discovered it again by him in 2013. He helped me make my first account which later got scammed :sob: After crying about it and telling him, I made another one. (This is my second account which I officially made my main.)

Ever since then I’ve been playing roblox.

I first started developing in 2016, but I was experimenting with building and the tools in 2013. I made my first game which was a place full of free models. It was really fun, and nice to have friends come and play the free modeled games with me.

I first built a whole place on my own in 2015. Still had free models, but I build a whole house. It’s awful now that I check it out again, but hey, I was making small progress :joy:

In late 2017 I began building for profit, then stopped in 2018 and came back to it in 2019. Ever since then I’ve been improving my skills little by little and trying to explore other things like programming.

Boring story, I know :joy:

1 Like

I wanted to become a developer to create things when i was bored, in July 2020, turns out I’m now loving it so much!

1 Like