World Panel Settings Now Available

On mobile. How do the world settings react to not using humanoid characters? i.e. a custom controller. Will it throw an error?

2 Likes

Saw that this was added last night inside of studio, good job on adding this feature.

1 Like

You shouldnā€™t see any effects if youā€™re not using Humanoids

1 Like

Time to make an anti-gravity game! Iā€™ll be playing with with this feature for awhile!

2 Likes

This is strange to me. Iā€™m worried this addition may lead to more confusing changes down the line that take once non-ambiguous properties & make them ambiguous, which would be especially confusing for newer developers.

StarterHumanoids already existed, and Gravity was a pretty basic feature smack dab under Workspaceā€™s properties - on top of that, some of StarterHumanoidā€™s functionality was recently added to StarterPlayerā€™s properties as well. So now walkspeed, jumpheight, and such are settable in three completely separate locations instead of just one; and Gravity, a per-place setting that can be changed on the fly, is under the Game Settings window, which typically changes the settings of all of a Gameā€™s Places.

The gravity presets are also weird, considering they both make the game behave super floaty, which does not seem useful or important enough to earn that space. It was already very easy to change your gameā€™s gravity. Maybe it wasnā€™t documented well enough?

Even Iā€™m getting a little confused typing this out - but hey, at least gravity didnā€™t become a web setting or something like that.

36 Likes

Personally, I think this new feature will be mainly beneficial towards new developers, as in ones who are making a new project. Regardless, this feature is a very conventient. Iā€™ll be sure to test it out.

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to be a stickler about units here and suggest:

1. If Jump Power is a force, the units should be in newtons. Unless it isnā€™t actually treated as a force?
  2. meters/second2 isnā€™t technically correct. It should be written as ā€œmeters/second^2ā€ or ā€œmeters/second/secondā€

Image for reference

4 Likes

Jump power is more like what youā€™re characterā€™s Y-velocity is set to when they jump.

1 Like

That makes sense. I only mentioned it because it was called a force in the OP.

2 Likes

Tbh I donā€™t think itā€™s as simple as setting the Y-velocity. If gravity was at 196.2 and jump power was at 50, then the jump height would be 6.371, not 7.159.

Thereā€™s probably a fudge factor thatā€™s missing, idk.

EDIT: And that fudge factor turns out to be exactly 1.06, applied to jump power!

At 196.2 gravity, 100 jump power:

At 300 gravity, 50 jump power.

6 Likes

This is something Iā€™ve been wanting for a long time! It makes it easier to set these settings up now, and I also really appreciate that meters per second is also shown alongside these settings.

1 Like

Since the knees bend a lot when the player jumps, that in combination with realisticā€™s floaty gravity allows the player to jump before their feet visibly touch the ground. This wouldnā€™t be as pronounced if the gravityā€™s high.

4 Likes

Where did this 7/25 scale come from? How was that decided? 196.2 is so conveniently 9.81 * 20, how did this happen?

3 Likes

Hereā€™s what I said about it. Basically, the conversion makes sense if you think of the RThro avatar as the same height/width as a normal person:

An average door, 6ā€™8" x 3ā€™, compared to an RThro character:

Compared with this graphic I found online:

5 Likes

I have to agree with above posts, I feel perhaps better documentation and tutorials regarding the pre-existing methods for changing these, would be better than adding this page. Though other than perhaps being a bit confusing for some, as long as you can still use the original methods and be able to set an individuals jump and speed settings, I am OK with the panel. I do REALLY like that Jump Height parameter. Will it ever be added to Humanoid?

1 Like

Makes it so much easier now to create the perfect atmosphere for you game. No need to include humanoids or have any extra code to accomplish the task.

Nice addition! Iā€™ll be trying to test when I get the chance. :+1:

Wait, realistic? what does that do?!

This looks great! Iā€™m especially excited for the new property (everything else could be achieved with a plugin).

I am a bit concerned though, putting this in Game Settings. There is a lot of confusion already around what is a game vs. a place on Roblox. Hopefully in the future this can be moved to itā€™s own tab or panel.

Also, does this mean we now have an official measurement conversion in Studio! That seems like pretty big news for the simulations part of the community. Depending on the accuracy.

3 Likes

i think i read that on the wiki some where that 20 studs is 1 meter.

196.2/20 is 9.81 so they must have changed something

1 Like

For Jump Height / Jump Power would the pathfinding service take that into account?

7 Likes