World Panel Settings Now Available

This is amazing, thanks! I especially love the new properties and the conversions to real-world units!

1 Like

Cool update! The presets will definitely add a lot of variation to new games.

So 20 stud = 1 meter is no longer canon?

1 Like

May I request an easy way to change movement responsiveness?

What I mean by this, is that your character immediately starts walking at the given speed when you provide movement input. The same goes for letting go of that certain input, which would stop the character from moving immediately.

A way to make your character slowly build up speed to their given speed and do the same when slowing down, would be really great.
(Could potentially have to do with friction)

3 Likes

Wanna see many conversion for studs to inches and such this thing could be used in schools think of it I wanted to make realistic size things like my house if I ever did that it would convert inches to studs or something

This is quite off topic but m/s^2 is the unit for acceleration, not m/s/s.

m/s^2 is the same thing as m/s/s

1 Like

Iā€™m not fully convinced that 1 stud is 28 cm now. Why the realistic preset gravity feels low, like the moon gravity?
Why the change? Is this for (relatively) big antro bodies or the sake of convenience or something?
Could someone give a proper, scientific explanation? At least this blog archive explains it very well.

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/conversion-of-roblox-and-real-world-units/133327/10?u=infinitydesign

@GeorgeOfAIITrades provides a theory here.

1 Like

I always incorporate the stud as 12 inches whenever I do my showcases.

After some testing in studio, now Iā€™m convinced. It was just R6 animation in realistic preset looks weird.
I hope they make a blog about this, showing formulas and stuff would be really nice to avoid confusion.

Cool, useful for lesser-experienced users/developers who donā€™t know about the properties tab.

We will make sure and note this in the Documentation. If you are curious about current documentation on Gravity, you can find it here.

Classic: 196.2 studs/second^2
Realistic: 35 studs/second^2

With the Realistic setting, we can determine that 1 stud = 28 cm.

Earth Gravity:
9.81 m/sec^2
35 studs/sec^2

If a 50th percentile male is 6.267857 studs then:

• 175.5 cm
  • 1.755 meters
  • 1 meter = 3.571429 studs

JumpPower defines what speed we jump UP with.

MaxJumpDistance = WalkSpeed * 2 * JumpVelocity / Gravity
JumpHeight = (JumpVelocity)^2 / 2 * Gravity.

I hope this information helps. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Ah, that blog post of mine still has itā€™s uses after 7 years! The scientific explanation for the gravity feeling low is one of perception. Psychologically you are used to Roblox avatars falling at a certain rate (which is way faster) and now it feels floaty.

Itā€™s the same reason games that are tuned to real physics values like The Witcher series feel slow.

3 Likes

It is currently in Humanoid as well

1 Like

Yeah. Like I said in my 2nd post.

Wooow! A really good feature for developers!

Definitely want to provide more control over the avatar movement in the future.

2 Likes

Indeed, I suggest a ā€œpalette cleanserā€ so to speak, to use the other settings. Suggest playing something other than Roblox and then use the presets. The Roblox gravity is extremely heavy compared to a lot of games, but if you are used to it, the other gravity settings will feel floaty.

Even if you use traditional methods for setting your avatar movement, the World Panel is a nice tool for prototyping ideas, if you want to quickly test out different settings for your player character. Looking forward to having additional methods of tuning the character in the future (ex. air steering).