2d Cellular painting on a surface

As a Roblox developer it is currently hard to make cellular grid-like systems. I couldn’t find the name of what this sort of thing is, here are 2 examples from Foundation, and Cities Skylines. I understand these 2 examples are projected onto their height maps, and Roblox won’t ever have height maps. At least a UI element or surface item like decals with API to modify the cells would be really useful.

It’d have some sort of “collision” in a sense, like how stellaris territory automatically make borders between systems.

I saw these threads, i’m not entirely sure they’re the same thing since its dynamically rendering graphics without using decals, it’s more of a cell rendering
SurfaceProjection object
Visual Effects Tools Like In Other Game Engines

Use cases:

• Territory Systems Theres a fair bit of strategy games, and something like this could make showing territory much easier. I’d personally use it for galaxy territory claim. This is by far the most useful though, it can apply to many games.
  • District painting Say you have a city building game, you can define areas to be say, residential, commercial, farmland, mining, etc.
  • Unit grouping Say you have a strategy game, you can make these cells around your troops in an organic looking way.
  • Unit orders Lets say you have villagers who need to cut down trees, paint an area in a forest to define where to chop them down

I’m sure their is more use cases, i just can’t think of them. Please reply with use cases if you have any.

18 Likes