A Beginner's Guide to Roblox Clothing Designing

Hi! I’m ixArcher, and I’ve been designing since early July '20. I’d like to share some things that I wish were taught to me early on so I didn’t have to spend so much time figuring it out! Below you’ll find a simple guide to starting your Roblox design career. This will not cover how to actually design, but instead how to manage your career as a designer.

Here are some other topics I’ve created that relate to this post, that you might want to check out:

How to be a Successful Clothing Designer

Your Beginner’s Guide to Shading and Wrinkles

I’ll need to get one thing straight before we start, though: Roblox clothing designing is not something that you will become successful in overnight, It takes hard work and dedication. Everyone’s designing journey is different. You need to decide what your goals are and work to achieve them.

Starting A Group

Making a Roblox group costs 100 robux, and 25 robux for every role you add. Choose your group name wisely, you can’t change it.

It’s best if you make your group icon something quality and colorful, whatever fits with the style of clothing you’ll be making. Upload consistently or whenever you have the time, and make sure to keep your customers engaged with qotd’s or qotw’s.

Using A Software

Some free options to design clothing include GIMP, Paint.NET, and Photo Editor : Pixlr E - free image editing tool.

Pixlr is a website, but you have to download paint and GIMP. I use paint to design, because I find it easier for me to shade, and it has more options that benefit designing than the others.

You do need a windows computer to download paint. Either way, use whatever software you’re more comfortable with, you are the designer.

Using the Roblox Template

The Roblox clothing template might seem confusing, but it’s actually really simple! The basic template itself is actually pretty self-explanatory.

See the pictures in the upper left corner of each template? That shows where that part of the clothing will show up on a character. You can even customize your own template if you’d like.

You will always have to convert your clothing into this template to upload it to Roblox. Make sure the boxes and rectangles are transparent except for the clothing when you upload it, or else the character will show up the color of the template!

Uploading Clothing

To upload clothing, you need to put your design into your Roblox template. Then you’ll press the “Create” button in the top section of your screen.

If you just want to upload a design for yourself or not to a specific group, make sure you’re under the “My Creations” tab and click either “Shirt”, “T-Shirts”, or “Pants” depending on the clothing piece. Then you can attach your design and click “Upload”!

If you want to upload to a group, then you can do the same steps as above, but make sure you’re under the “Group Creations” tab, and you’ve selected the correct group in the upper left corner.

It usually takes around 5-10 minutes for Roblox to approve (or deny) your clothing piece, so be patient!

Making Your Portfolio

Making a portfolio an extremely important step in your designing career. When you qualify for creating topics on the Developer Forum, you can press the “Developer” text at the top of your screen. Then click “+ New Topic”.

Make sure you select the right section for your portfolio, “ Collaboration: Portfolios”. You can name your portfolio whatever you feel is fitting - as long as it tells viewers that you are a clothing designer, open or closed for orders.

Make sure you include a brief summary about you, your past clothing, your terms, prices, availability, and how the customer can contact you.

Filtering Scammers

It’s always hard trying to figure out who to accept a commission request from. If you ever suspect that someone isn’t true to their word, you can always charge them a down payment. This is where they have to pay for the clothing in part or full before you design it or give them the template.

Never give anyone a template for clothing you designed before they’ve paid you first. This person could easily take the design and ghost you.

Charging Customers

Choosing how much to charge your customers can be a challenge. You can base this on your skill level, the time it takes to design your clothing, and the quality of your designs.

If you’re a beginner, try not to charge as much a pro unless you somehow have the same quality level of clothing as them. Try to do your best not to overcharge someone, but still know the worth of your designs.

I’ve gone over the basics you should know to start your designing journey. There is still a lot you need to learn, but you should be set for now. Remember that practice makes perfect, and quality is always more important than quantity.

21 Likes

Maybe you can if you could get a desktop version of the site.

1 Like

That’s my mistake. I’ll change it now, thanks for correcting me :slight_smile:

1 Like

What software to use to make clothing??

2 Likes

Clean and simple. Very nice guide

1 Like

You can use any software that you’re comfortable with. You can use paint.net if you have a windows computer or Pixlr E: Free Advanced Photo Editor & Image Editing Tool | Pixlr. Those are just two that I have seen a lot used.

It’s easier to design on paint, so that’s what I recommend.

Alright, Might wanna add that for us users.

1 Like

Nice tutorial, I have a designer friend. I think she’ll wanna see this, as she’s trying to improve her designs!

1 Like

This needs to be updated! It costs 10 robux to upload clothing, premium or not.

Otherwise,

Thanks for this tutorial, really detailed tutorial and clothing, congrats! Bye. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not sure how detailed this was supposed to be, but it’s a good tutorial nonetheless!

I will say, however, that to people who want more tips on actually designing their clothes, look into hardline/softline. Those are the two major categories that I’ve seen in the more niche clothing community. Try to find asset packs, they’ll help you a lot. Personally I use Photoshop, but everyone I know uses paint.net or some other free software.

Honestly, I’m not sure where you could find many resources on hardline/softline clothing making, but the general idea is that in hardline, the lines are black, and in softline, they blend with the clothes.

I only ever make hardline, but for an example:
https://www.roblox.com/catalog/6021365170/rush-custom-2-fix

You’ll notice the lines are all black. I’m not an expert on the matter though, but I figured I’d provide my input anyway! Good luck to anyone who’s just starting out.

1 Like