Improvements for the Neon material

I’ve created a thread some time ago, but I think it wasn’t clear enough so I’m making a new, better one.

So, as a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to create a Neon material brick that would have multi colored sections in it. We also cannot disable the glow of the part nor we can disable the core from being lit.

cd5265ca92d23ec89cbed5a96e8c240ea998c36d.png

On the image above I’ve shown a Neon material sphere. I’ve marked the core with green, and the glow with red.

I’m requesting additional properties for Neon material. Three of them might be:

• Color of the core and the the glow (separately). If both wouldn’t be the same color, one would bleed onto another with smooth change of color.

• Transparency of the core and the glow. By that we could technically “disable” the glow entirely as some developers suggested.

• Bleed-out distance of the glow (needs better name). As shown on the image below, the glow reaches further than on the first brick. That effect has been achieved by getting further away from the part and thus lowering the image quality but you should get the point. That property would set how big in scale the glow would be.
    34d9cf4de28de73ff145554eba3acdadf7f08663.png

Now, the core would be essentially the part itself, but as we can set the colors of both glow and the core with one Color property right now, I separated these two to mark the difference

These were only 3 examples of (some) new properties for the Neon material. Do you have more?

Leave your thoughts below!

17 Likes

Light in real life doesn’t behave like this. What are you trying to accomplish?

1 Like

Neon parts with glow colors separate from the part color would be cool.

4 Likes

Like what specifically? :thinking:

It would allow more customization for Neon parts, that’s basically all for the colors.
If it’s about the glow being bigger it’s because if you get to far away from the part, the glow completely disappears. This is especially seen on small neon parts.

I personally would use this feature for lightsabers :grinning:

3 Likes

I’d love neon intensity to be honest.

12 Likes

It’d be incredibly useful for stylized lighting, lit up dashboards in cars, extremely bright lights, etc. Realistic lighting isn’t really a feature of ROBLOX to begin with

5 Likes

The goal is aesthetics – not realism. For instance, nothing would ever look like this in real life:

Btw the only people I’ve heard wanting features to emulate realism are engineers – generally that’s not the reason users pursue features.

12 Likes

Are you sure?

3 Likes

Honestly more control over how neon renders would be nice…

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure, strawman not withstanding. If I make something like that bomb, I’m designing it to look that way because I want it to look that way – not to emulate Cherenkov radiation.

If I’m building something like that reactor and want to achieve that look, I don’t want to configure the composition of the water and add 5% hydrogen so the glow is realistically more dull: I just want to change the glow to begin with. I’m designing a level – not a physics simulation.

9 Likes