We’re excited to announce a preview release of our new Align tool. This tool is designed to make it fast and easy to align a group of objects so that you don’t have to worry about precise dragging or any precision alignment errors.
To access this tool, in the Ribbon bar, go to Plugins > Align Tool.
- Select the objects to align
- Decide if you want to align relative to the selection bounds or to the active object
A. The active object is the last-selected object in the selection
B. To switch active objects, click on a different currently-selected object
- Pick if you want to align to the minimum bound, center, or maximum bound
- Pick the axis (or axes) you want to align to
- Click Align
If Join Surfaces is enabled, Studio will automatically create welds for any parallel, touching surfaces after the alignment is finished.
Here are examples of the Align tool in action, including basic alignment and examples of using the Align tool to help with modeling.
Aligning With An Active Object:
Using the Align Tool to Place a Shelf:
Using the Align Tool to Center Details to Other Parts:
There are two known limitations with this preview release:
- World-space-only alignment. Currently the Align tool only aligns in world space, not local space.
- Collisions are ignored. When aligning objects, the Align tool ignores any collisions options and can cause objects to intersect.
We’d love to hear your feedback about this tool! Please let us know how we could improve it in the comments below.