Allow age changes with ID verification even when account is underaged

As of right now, people who are under the age of 13 are unable to adjust their birthday for their account. Account verification with an ID is also disabled.

I’m not 3 years old btw…

As a developer, this is extremely bad as I can hardly develop using this account:

• Developer Exchange is not possible
  • One can not see social links
  • Social Links are not editable/createable (one has to change group ownership in order to do so)
  • One has more strict rules on the chat filer.
  • soooo much more…

The only way to do such things is to use an alternative account.
But what is when you already have so much stuff (Robux, Games) on your account?

Having the option to ID verify underage accounts would help people who accidentally set their age to under 13 a lot.

59 Likes

I know that :point_down: but why is ID verification disabled for users under the age of 13?

~ https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031323611-How-do-I-change-my-age-
Children's Online Privacy Protection Rule ("COPPA") | Federal Trade Commission

13 Likes

Support. This is a huge problem in the community, new players setting their age to something random and stupid, but they don’t know the consequences of this. Allowing age verification for -13 users could fix this.

9 Likes

Support does not work. They are not allowed as users have to enter their real date of birth. ID based age verification is safe and would be a fix.

5 Likes

Feature support was meant here. Read posts please.

4 Likes

I 110% support this. Roblox needs to implement a system where users who accidentally changed their birthday or placed an incorrect birthday should have the ability to provide proof to have their age changed.

10 Likes

Roblox support is your best place to go if you did this, while ID verification to verify you are over the age would be nice, it is not the only way to handle this. This post seems to imply that there is zero way to change this which is false in most cases. Roblox literally has entire support category for people who set their age incorrectly on their account.

4 Likes

There are support categories for “Change Child Age” and “Free Robux” but I’m wondering if many “change child age” requests have not been honored even if it was proven that user was over 13 or that the parent was contacting Roblox.

Although support venues exist, it completely makes sense that you should be able to still submit ID for verification and have your birthday adjusted according to your submission. This is how I got my Twitter account unlocked when updating my birthday revealed that the account was created before I was 13 years old. After submitting ID, my activity from before 13 years of age was deleted and my account was unlocked. Same should go for Roblox unless they have no control over or insight to the third party process. Feels like you can resolve it yourself instead of relying on support.

6 Likes

I dont think Roblox will go through that much job

You always have support section, maybe a topic roblox can improve actually.

Seriously. It’s ridiculous at this point. Roblox added ID verification for a reason, they should make GOOD use of it.

2 Likes

They just basically say “screw you” in another way when you try to message them about it.

1 Like

I really support this

Discord already has this, shouldn’t be too hard for Roblox to implement.

3 Likes

People can just take the id of their parents to lie about their age, not a good idea to add this.

Also, why would someone put 2019 as a birthday, and if you did an error, create a new account.

And I don’t think that asking an id to users who could be under 13 is legal.

4 Likes

Discord allows you to if you’re banned for being under 13, so I don’t think it would be illegal.

3 Likes

you can recover 70% of the robux through a t-shirt sale, and groups can be transferred quite easily. I also don’t understand why people set their account age like this when they plan on developing, or why they do it at all.

I get why people would want to lie about their age (privacy, removing safechat) but there is literally no reason to set your account age this low. There’s also no reason for a <13 user to ID verify, and it might even be illegal to request such information of a user you believe is under 13.

1 Like

The difference is that you’re only prompted for ID after you claim to not be under 13. It’s totally fine to request info in this scenario.

It would be legally questionable to just have the verify ID button available to <13 users, but I’m not sure.

See: COPPA

1 Like

I created my account when I did not know anything about Roblox, just because a friend told me to install it. I was not planning to develop whatsoever, especially as I never heard of Roblox until then. The app was glitchy on my phone and I was unable to scroll in the age prompt. That’s why I set the age of birth to 11 days before account creation, the first of December 2019 (I was not 11 days old when I set up my account).

3 Likes

100% support. I develop on my account which I set the birthyear 2012 instead of an undisclosed not underage year. I use this account just to use devforums lol

1 Like

Roblox support doesn’t work, when you tell them that you mistakenly set the age, they will think you are very young, Roblox will believe that you are 0 years old, even if you show enough evidence like your ID, Birth Certificate, they still won’t believe you and think you’re 0 years old

so that’s why I support this, not Roblox Support

4 Likes