Allow Roblox Player and Studio to be installed on the same folder every time

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to manage program rules on windows, because every time a new Studio/Player version is released, the installation folder in Windows 10 changes:
Here there are details and examples:

If Roblox is able to address this issue, it would improve my development experience because I will be sure that the Roblox installations will always be in the same place and I will not need to keep updating the windows rules.

12 Likes

This behavior is also known to break shortcuts.

This behavior also creates hundreds of dead firewall rules for old Roblox Studio versions. Not sure if there’s a thread about this one.

In fact, I have a terrible hack I use to keep Studio pinned to my start menu. I use a proxy shortcut that chains a cmd window and opening another shortcut that Studio creates and updates automatically every time it updates. This allows me to pin the proxy shortcut, change its icon, and keep Studio pinned.

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "" "C:\Users\qqtt9\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Roblox\Roblox Studio.lnk"

Behavior I would prefer is the current Studio version being installed to a folder called “Current” and all other versions being named the version name. Then every time Studio updates it will rename Current to the version name, then install the version to a new Current folder, which should(?) preserve old paths and hence old shortcuts and rules.

10 Likes

This is very annoying as I run custom builtins to extend or change Roblox’s core functionality. Every time studio updates, I have to reimport my FFlag overrides and custom builtins.

Relying on a version hash instead of a simple Roblox and RobloxStudio folder creates many problems on the Windows side aswell, however CaZ and the OP in the linked thread have already stated that issue.

The Roblox installer is definitely capable of installing to custom folders (as shown by Mod Manager) as it’s just a package manifest that is downloaded to the hash’s folder