Allow us to disable the esc menu

I would like to use the escape button as a hotkey for a menu and I think since in most other games using it is a hotkey to open up some menu I would like to be able to create my own. It would not only give me but other dev’s more flexibility in creating a game the way they envision it.

I am aware of the issues however. Which is the following: Ability to remove any way to report abuse, Stops users from changing their graphics settings in game and …? I think the benefits out way the risks however as the user can do both these things in different ways anyways ie: Reporting Abuse from the website and Changing graphics settings from roblox studio.

Thoughts?

5 Likes

You didn’t really list the benefits of disabling the menu and say how they outweigh the risks. The only 2 I see that you list are: “It would not only give me but other dev’s more flexibility in creating a game the way they envision it”, it’s obvious that everyone else can gain from this features, features like this don’t release to only certain people, “lots of people being able to gain from this” isn’t a benefit. “create my own (ESC Menu)”, being able to make your own ESC Menu, that’s a benefit. However the risks outweigh the 1 benefit:

“Reporting Abuse from the website” and “changing graphics settings from roblox studio” are different, more inconvenient ways, so inconvenient that they’re not alternate methods if the ESC Menu was to be taken away. If I want to change the graphic settings I’d have to close the game, start Studio, go to Settings>Rendering, and adjust the Quality Level, then re-visit the game to continue playing.

Taking away the Menu would also take away the guarantee of a “Reset Character” option. With ROBLOX being User-Made content GAMES, you’re bound to have games that don’t work completely and may require that the person needs resetting in order to continue playing.

I suggest using a dedicated/customize-able key for bringing up the menu you’re wanting. (there are other keys)

Edit. I had a bad idea here.

This will never happen.

1 Like

-Lock first person camera
-Disables ESC menu

-ahahaha fr00b, unless you know how to alt-tab out, you’re stuck in my game forever now!

6 Likes

Allow us to hide button then – no harm in that :swag:

Menu button makes custom UI look ugly.

9 Likes

Emphasis on the never.

Can I ask why, I do not mean to sound bratty I just would like to know if there is a specific reason for it.

As to me not explaining the benefits. Basically it is user control over their games. Which is a benefit to all users. And for the resetting character issue; you could always write a chat command to reset characters. Maybe a real solution is for the roblox gamer to be able to chose between the player made GUI and the roblox one… It would be simple as a dialoge option and bring up whichever one the user selected which is basically ten lines of code to create.

[quote] -Lock first person camera
-Disables ESC menu

-ahahaha fr00b, unless you know how to alt-tab out, you’re stuck in my game forever now! [/quote]

I’ve argued this and that’s what everyone replies with. Honestly most 6 year olds know about Alt+F4.

[quote] -Lock first person camera
-Disables ESC menu

-ahahaha fr00b, unless you know how to alt-tab out, you’re stuck in my game forever now! [/quote]

I’ve argued this and that’s what everyone replies with. Honestly most 6 year olds know about Alt+F4.[/quote]
Or Ctrl+w or Ctrl alt Delete… Or even the windows key (assuming you’re on windows eight).

Well, ROBLOX could just bind the menu to F1

1 Like

F1 opens the wiki.

[quote] [quote=“Ripull” post=76108]-Lock first person camera
-Disables ESC menu

I’ve argued this and that’s what everyone replies with. Honestly most 6 year olds know about Alt+F4.[/quote]
Or Ctrl+w or Ctrl alt Delete… Or even the windows key (assuming you’re on windows eight).[/quote]

I’ll make you guys a deal - I’ll seriously suggest this feature if you all agree to join the Customer Support team and respond to the thousands of users who suddenly can’t figure out how to close the game.

I know you might think the average Roblox user can figure out a way around it, but as someone who has seen the kind of tickets our CS team has to deal with I can confidently say that this would create far more of a headache than it is worth.

Bottom line is that the menu holds base functionality that we need to ensure is in every game and always behaves the same way no matter what.

Just hide the button at least, please. It doesn’t even tell you how to open it so it shouldn’t be required to exist.

[sup]Or make an undocumented API to turn it off so only sooper secret users can have access to it[/sup]

Or tell users how to close a game in big letters on the loading screen and make some sort of hotkey to close the notification and another hotkey to close the game :wink:

[quote] [quote=“Jon” post=76119][quote=“Ripull” post=76108]-Lock first person camera
-Disables ESC menu

Or Ctrl+w or Ctrl alt Delete… Or even the windows key (assuming you’re on windows eight).[/quote]

I’ll make you guys a deal - I’ll seriously suggest this feature if you all agree to join the Customer Support team and respond to the thousands of users who suddenly can’t figure out how to close the game.

I know you might think the average Roblox user can figure out a way around it, but as someone who has seen the kind of tickets our CS team has to deal with I can confidently say that this would create far more of a headache than it is worth.

Bottom line is that the menu holds base functionality that we need to ensure is in every game and always behaves the same way no matter what.[/quote]

I am not saying you’re incorrect in that they deal with inane requests but is the average user really that bad at figuring workarounds?

[quote] [quote=“Jon” post=76119][quote=“Ripull” post=76108]-Lock first person camera
-Disables ESC menu

Bottom line is that the menu holds base functionality that we need to ensure is in every game and always behaves the same way no matter what.[/quote]

As I make a living doing customer support for AT&T I can understand getting the same question over and over.

So fair enough.

I mean this lady called me asking how to get to the homescreen of her iPhone 5s without rebooting it. I told her to hit the button on the front of the phone.

Yes. She didn’t know how to go to the home screen. I was being polite but in my mind I was like agheindaytwdvkdss.

FYI she sounded in her 30s so it’s not like she was old.

-Disables ESC menu

I’d love to work customer service – much better than being a cashier. I’d also make auto-generated responses that aren’t obviously auto-generated too

[size=6]Tell users how to close a game in big letters on the loading screen and make some sort of hotkey to close the notification and another hotkey to close the game[/size]

[sup]Acknowledge me ;([/sup]

As for why: Roblox isn’t just a engine, it’s a platform.

As much as you want to remove all traces of “normal Roblox” from your game there will always be some left. When you use the engine you get to have a bunch of the nice platform things that come with it for free… but the other side of that coin is that you also have to put up with some platform things which you don’t want

1 Like

Fair enough. This thread has served its purpose, thank you both for giving me reasons as to why.