Alternative for Photoshop?

So, I’m looking to use more ImageLabels so I can customize my buttons with different shapes and whatnot. A lot of people suggest Photoshop but I’m not at the spot where I’m looking to use the money right now, so a free one would be great. I’m not that experienced with making GUI or not even a professional yet so I don’t need anything major, just something that can get the job done.
So perhaps do any of you guys have an alternative for Photoshop to make better shapes such as circles, smoother edges, fonts, and things like that?

Thanks guys appreciate it! :slight_smile:

I use pixlr.com’s online image editor, it’s a little clunky but it’s a basic, free photoshop program that runs in-browser.

However, I use Adobe Illustrator for UI design, I think that might actually be more long the lines of what you need but like Photoshop it does require payment.

1 Like

GIMP is a good software to use.
Also paint.net

By the way, if you do want to spend money on something in the future, I suggest getting Adobe Illustrator, instead of Photoshop for UI. Illustrator was pretty much made for UI.

2 Likes

Krita

2 Likes

PDN (paint.net) is a great alternative. I use it mainly for logos, but it’s really useful for things such as thumbnails and place icons! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Can all of these make the background transparent?

Yep!

1 Like

awesome ty

Along with @Raven_Incendria, I’d suggest using Paint.net as well. I’d recommend getting some plugins for it too, as they can go a long way. I’ve used it for a few years (Not much progress, honestly, I mainly do it as a minor hobby), but it’s really easy to learn. Just search up on Google “Paint.net Plugin Pack.” You should find an awful lot, seeing as how Paint.net is community driven.

Great tutorial for how to install the plugins and a good few of them are good plugins as well.

Great plugin pack, DPY makes really good plugins.

The interface on these plugins isn’t anything like Photoshop or something, but once you get the hang of them, I’m sure that you can achieve similar results with Paint.net. The only thing that is lacking is a Taper effect. It’d be really useful.

Anyways, I hope I may have persuaded you to join the Cult of Paint.net. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

EDIT: I thought it might also be useful to know that the website is actually “getpaint.net.”

3 Likes

where can I find \program files\Paint.NET\effects? or how can I access it?

Yes, and it’s very simple.
Select the magic wand from the toolbar, click the white-space, then press delete on your keyboard.

Additionally, if you can’t get PDN to suit your needs, GIMP is good. For custom and interesting text fonts I’ve always used picfont.com - it enables you a lot of Photoshop-esque features.

2 Likes

Do you have a Mac or Windows? If you have Windows, do you have Windows 10 or Windows 7?

I believe that’s a similar method to Windows 10.

First, you have to download paint.net and locate it on your computer.

https://gyazo.com/9240a50443d47845156b37db9b0faae9

You then open the file location (right click and it should display it there, as in the GIF.)

You then right click on it again to open the file location (again, as this simply took you to the shortcut, not the actual file location.)

https://gyazo.com/6311ec3b7615ef2aa8c8b6756bbd30fb

90 percent of all plugins will go into the “Effects” folder.

https://gyazo.com/a9f2d85952d068aa2d05f86e04566072

You then take all the downloaded plugins and move them to the folder.

2 Likes

Here are user-made tutorials on GIMP, Illustrator, and Paint-net

1 Like

Thanks for tagging my post on PaintDN, and sharing that around.

As far as the OP, definitely check out my Tutorial linked in Jorito’s reply, and if you have any questions feel free to DM me, or post to that thread where I or others may provide help!

1 Like

Thanks guys, I’ll be going with PDN. Still, thank you all for helping me.

2 Likes

Remember that there is a search feature :wink:

Here are some similar questions (with my replies quoted because Affinity is also a good alternative):

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/photoshop-is-it-worth-it/75965/18