An update on Live Ops

Nice, but do we still get the red top hat?

5 Likes

tbh, i’m sorta on the same page here. It does have potential but it’s clearly not ready to replace events. If anything, it’s just super bland right now.

A lot of the stuff on the Live-Ops page looks boring just from a quick look, going to cafes or tycoons for an ingame item just isnt something a lot of players want.

There’s nothing even nice about the Live-Ops page, just a boring dark background.

Most players wont feel kind of excitement or a sense of fun if they stare at the same webpage pictured above. It’ll just drive them to play something that’s constantly popular.

But if they’re gonna keep the Live-Ops thing anyway, may as well put suggestions here.

1. They should just keep the whole program on hiatus until Developers can actually reward players with UGC content.

Before anyone disagrees with 1, you should know that rewarding players with catalog items is what made Events into what it was before. Everyone was always excited over that.

Without anything like that to keep everyone invested, the whole program will just die out again in a few months. It’s not just the Live-Ops program itself that needs to improve, it’s the games themselves.

And what’s being put out right now just isn’t enough to satisfy most of the community.

Devs rewarding catalog items to their players is one of the ultimate pushes into making a game addictive and fun. I can definitely say the program will be more successful if we could do that.

2. Maybe have the Live-Ops button turn different colors whenever new games are displayed.

The Live-Ops button never changes, nor is there any way to inform players if something new turns up, because of that…sometimes i forget it even exists…and we’ve all been there…

3. Make a Live Ops tab on the game page.

Yes, before you comment “Game tabs usually display over 20 games”…I know.

But a small blue button displayed on the bottom left cant just be the only way to know about the games that exist there. Because like i’ve said on 2., that cyan button is basically dead.

Having Live-Op events displayed on the game page is honestly a great way in getting even more players, since everyone uses it.

They could make a smaller version of a game tab to make Live-Ops more well-known, it’d really help the smaller devs and boost player count by a lot. Something like this.

If something like that existed, they could probably have 4-6 games displayed on Live-Ops per week now that i think about it.

In short terms, the program in it’s current state is…bad.

People lost interest in it, the games there dont get as much now than when the program first came out and it’s just bland.

BUT, i’m honestly very much looking forward to it’s future. Especially with the UGC program, earning hats on Live-Op games along with the other possible cool stuff they’re planning is something to be thankful for. Which is why i will continue to remain hopeful.

EDIT:

( Was trying to reply to someone but it just turned into my own post, gg )

12 Likes

I didn’t even realise LiveOps is a thing until I read this post… and I’m supposedly a game developer. You can apparently only find it on the website’s sidebar. I’m not sure how such a low-visibility feature could attract a large audience (especially because the sidebar is the last place anyone looks for playing a game). Maybe a more central location for future events?

Unless you’re intentionally seeking out games promoted by Roblox, I don’t really feel any desire to play any of the games listed either. There’s nothing particularly special going on. Maybe this sort of thing is best saved for larger scale events.

2 Likes

I always thought putting it in another part of the webpage as it was hidden away, still i’m being hopeful that there may be a better solution to help this feature out.

1 Like

Well… that was expected.

LiveOps was flawed from the start. There was no visibility aside from the small button, no way of rewarding to engage most of the free player base, and bland overall.

I just hope that Roblox can make a lot of improvements to this so that it can make LiveOps worth it to apply for as a developer.

4 Likes

I agree, I completely expected that as well.

LiveOps isn’t a total waste. But I do hope they try to completely overhaul their game page for a brand new experience rather than building on top of a cracked foundation. And then piling up on a bunch of stucco (Live Ops) to fill in the gaps. LiveOps do have a place on the platform but unfortunately at this time its way too early. You’ve just begun to make strides with the UCG Catalog and other good stuff. It would be better to allocate more resources else where. Like on overhauling smooth terrain water for instance.

2 Likes

This looks to me like in the return of LiveOps, we will be giving some kind of events system for games. I really hope that this will pave the way to rewards from the UGC catalog. Things are looking good for Roblox’s future. Come on, even this guy is a bit optimistic:

And if that doesn’t tell you that LiveOps will be much better from now on, I don’t know what does!

:smirk:

Participated twice, I found it useful for promoting game updates but I felt that after some time the small tab on the bottom left linking people to the live ops games became stale and after some time people probably stopped clicking it.
Maybe it having its own full page on Roblox will help as well as rewarding players with catalogue items (in specific UGC items) would encourage players to participate.
With the full roblox page thing, maybe link it to the developer page, where developers can apply to have their game update promoted via the develop page or something like that.

Personally I think that Live-Ops has potential, but they’re need to be changes on how Roblox implements it… First of all, most players (On Roblox) won’t play events that won’t reward them… Secondly, it’s not enticing to the player-base most of the Roblox community hates Live-Ops… That’s why it’s best for Roblox to put it on hold for awhile

Roblox pulls the trigger entirely too soon when it comes to big changes like these. One day we’re told there will be themed events each month, then no events at all, then live ops. It’s hard to have a game ready for these programs months in advance when the program in question might not exist in the near future.

I know it’s tough maintaining things like live ops, and I really appreciate the time that goes into planning these features. I’m sure whatever is replacing it will be better.

6 Likes

I disagree with live OPs being a challenge, I’m not entirely sure who is in charge of going through the selection process however if it’s staff that are forced to do tedious work than of course they’ll do the bare minimum.

This program needs unbiased and passionate people behind it for the best results. Roblox isn’t a small start up, they’re more than capable of scouting suitable applicants for the job. The process is self explanatory you correct the flaws in the present system than you assign strict guidelines to be enforced.

If the majority had the decency to not abuse every ounce of trust Roblox bestows upon us than I wouldn’t oppose this suggestion. Without any limitations in place, anything that’ll grab a players attention would be considered rewardable because we’ve already seen this behavior on how achievements are handed out throughout the community. Who thought visiting a place or meeting a creator was considered an achievement? The same group of people that’ll flood players inventory with poorly designed garbage. What I’ve learned from UGC is how there’s a vast majority that cannot create above an amateur level or they simply don’t care enough to put forth any effort. Why bother caring when you can make money because clearly that’s what the majority of developers value.

It upsets me further when they’re self aware of what they’re doing than have the audacity to complain after the damage has already been done.

at least they admitted it eventually

i very also hope that events return i also hope that the badges will be upgrade able to add shirts pants or ugc items to it!

1 Like

Incomplete idea in the linked post, so I’ll put it here:

I predicted that live ops could have integration with the ugc catalog, with players making hats or shirts or pants as rewards, similar to the events of which we used to have. So, in conclusion, could this revamp give us an event-like integration of ugc items the creator has made with live ops featured games?

Been with the site over a decade; rarely notice live ops. Singular button leads you there, afaik it never changes image so there’s nothing ‘new’ on the page. Similar to the blog posts, used to love seeing a new one was posted, but now there’s no way of telling there’s an update without already reading the blog. This could’ve worked with the prior landing page.

3 Likes

I don’t think I’ll miss this anyways. I only played games featured on it once or twice in the beginning of the Live Ops program and never saw the appeal to it. I checked later on in the program without playing the games, and there were at highest 300 players.

These Live Ops have never appealed to me at all to be honest, and feel like a major downgrade to the much popular events that were on the platform beforehand.

1 Like

Didn’t expect this to come but it makes sense why its on hold. In my take in Live Ops it never got any attention on the website considering it was just on the events page and most users just didn’t care what new games were on it. What Live Ops needs is for the developers to get access to UGC so developers can promote to there game alot easier and it will bring in more players to there game.

As a player, I never paid attention to Live Ops. I’d often forget it was even there, as it’s under all the essential pathways, and the even bigger Upgrade Now button, which further shoves the Event section under. I recently asked a lot of members in a group I’m in, as well as my own, and most said that they don’t even look down that far and were unaware that Live Ops was a thing, especially since many of the games on there were front page already.

1 Like

Yeah, i really wouldn’t want players to earn hats just by visiting a game for a minute tbh. But the UGC program will most likely have strict guidelines that’ll probably make stuff like that rule-breaking.

Having players earn over 20 UGC hats from badge walker games or anything else like that is definitely an issue Roblox thinks about.

So, it’s very likely they’ll have a strong restriction in place when the program has a beta launch. Since the whole catalog would be worthless if it didnt.

5 Likes

Really hope that we can get free prizes like events with live ops! It will make players actually check out live ops and probably try out the games themselves.

3 Likes