As a scripter with 1.5 years of experience, I have run into a dead end

What I believe @Zolyphony is trying to say is, every dev gets stuck trying to accomplish things - it is not a good reason not to make something. Because if you want to dev things then you will get stuck …and have to figure a way out.

My 2-cents: you said

if there is anything to learn in scripting anymore.
I know most of the stuff that comes with Roblox scripting, such as

…but then you just listed some Roblox APIs. That isn’t even close to “everything that comes with Roblox scripting”.

Software developers make things people use. On the Roblox platform, that is games or plugins. If you’re looking for a way to gain real experience, find a way to make a game. Yours or with someone else. There are many “game ideas” threads on the forum - look at those if you need ideas to try.

There is no equivalent to putting in the hard work to make something new that actually works for people.

1 Like

You know that you don’t have to be successful and get a developer position at a studio group to improve or anything.

Just don’t worry about those once you start making your own attempts or projects you will start to realize it was all worth learning and you can make games on your own

Of course you can try there is no one stopping you from looking at solutions for it either you can look at forums, videos, lua’s own website etc… like who is gonna stop you? who is gonna call you a script kiddie? no one.

okay, give me an idea on a thing i should make

1 Like

instead of searching for things to do you can just take part in a game jam and wing it. Game jams helped me learn lots of features that i could use

i dont know of any game jams atm

Here are several dozen… Google is good at this kind of stuff :smiley:

https://www.reddit.com/r/robloxgamedev/comments/w0w3af/coming_up_with_original_concepts_and_good_game/

I liked this one: 1. A more in-depth Among Us game where you have to consider things such as the cause of death, similar to Danganronpa. Anyone can be the murderer, it’s not pre-defined.

and I have an idea of how I could do certain things (cause of death, etc)
it reminds of TTT from gmod so I will be definitely trying this out

Make anything math or physics based if you wanna go into really professional positions. If you’re still starting off small you could try scripting stuff like visual effects abilities, this is sure to get some traction depending on how well you do it.

math and physics scare me

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

They’re the one thing that every roblox programmer has to have an understanding of.

i only know basic math, i can’t deal with anything that involves equations (linear or square)

i only know what it does and where to use it, but i dont know the theory behind it

you start off simple and go onto doing major, try making parts move using a custom velocity and then you can move onto actual rigs moving.

unless ur me and go straight to the hard stuff e.e

Learn Object Orientated Programming (OOP) and Luau features like type checking to learn how to structure your projects.

by type checking you mean typeof? I’m familiar with that already and have used it

No, I mean using comment directives like --!strict to turn on the typing engine to ensure your program is “type sound” and explicit typing, type generics et cetera.

--!strict
type array<T> = {T}
local numberArray: array<number> = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

local boolVariable: bool = 5 --TypeError
1 Like

Learn OOP

how did you do that, that is definitely not thirty chrs…

I get what you mean. Tomorrow will be my 1 month anniversary into developing. I’ve already done a bit of building, but I spent most of my time programming.
To stay motivated, I made sure to have a social platform like twitter to post my progress so I am able to look back and see where I came from.

Just today I finished a commission where I made a player detection area that saves & deletes the inventory and gives you a sword to fight other players. It took me a long time, multiple dips in motivation and progress, but I kept going and I eventually got to the point that made me realize why I enjoy learning programming.

Every time I fix a bug or malfunction in the code, I feel fulfilment. That comes as fast as it goes since the code will break right after, but ignoring that I was able to submit the finished project today and I feel better than ever, motivated to use the knowledge I gained on new projects.

You have to enjoy the learning, otherwise there is nothing to learn. You have to overcome boundaries to learn from them. If you don’t want to get over those boundaries, there is nothing to learn.

I hope you find the right ideas and motivation to work on your new project as you mentioned before. Don’t be afraid to ask the community for help. You may feel humiliated by asking, but I promise you that afterwards, fixing and understanding your code is much better than never having asked at all.
Good luck.