Asset Manager is Here (BACK IN BETA)

Hey everyone!

Today, we’d like to introduce you to the Asset Manager. This feature has replaced the Game Explorer.

This is the beginning of a new set of Studio features to empower you as creators. Your feedback during our beta period was invaluable. We are planning on implementing many of the features you have all posted below!

Enough of my boring drivel. Below, you will find a quick summary of the major changes coming in this first iteration of the Asset Manager.

FeatureDescription.AssetManager

• Fresh Look. We composed a fresh design that will allow us to extend into the realm of impossibilities as we continue to improve this feature.
  • Alphabetical Sorting. There is nothing quite like consistency.
  • IS THAT A FILTER? YEAH IT IS!
  • Multiple ways to navigate. We added a tree view + grid view to give you multiple ways to navigate. May look a little bare right now, but we have plans to make sure both are completely utilized.
  • Consistent Workflows. Feel free to configure your assets, and check them out with the 3D Preview just like you would in Toolbox.

I just want to give a huge shoutout to the team that put this all together: @smoothiecriminals @aNewMoose @iriszh @fpscrazy @billlipeng @funturious @April_Sheep @robDR

433 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 15 minutes.

Looks cool, however when I tried using it, errors started getting thrown when I was pressing buttons.

Here are a few

16:51:03.593 - Plugin_AssetManager.rbxm.AssetManager.Packages.package_index.Cryo-d467f4c6a862-1ba35bb23d0f.packages.Cryo.Dictionary.join:18: bad argument #1 (table expected, got nil)

16:51:56.712 - Plugin_AssetManager.rbxm.AssetManager.Packages.package_index.Rodux-4f44c5b7b8ca-79f6c38c7ef6.packages.Rodux.Store:125
16:51:56.713 -

[16:51:56.711 - Plugin_AssetManager.rbxm.AssetManager.Packages.package_index.RoactRodux-d65ac2db2841-f36097a9ef27.packages.RoactRodux.connect:162

Plugin_AssetManager.rbxm.AssetManager.Packages.package_index.Roact-c4d9a64d540b-41af74df7307.packages.Roact.Component:161 function setState]/dummy?scriptGuid=&gst=6#13

Here is a full list:
errors.txt (26.4 KB)

I also have to click a few times on a button for it to do anything.

Will will ever be able to change the sorting. What if I want to sort by oldest, most used, and so on.

72 Likes

Can’t wait to try this out for myself! And as always, huge shout out to people who helped create this and the Roblox team themselves of course! Quality of life improvements are always welcome. Can’t wait to see what you guys do next!

Edit: Will there also be different ways to sort your meshes? This would come in really handy! (For example sorting by age or polygon count).

What I would like to see most however is support for textures straight out of for example Blender. This would save a lot of time and effort.

28 Likes

Wow this looks great I can’t wait when will it be out?

12 Likes

omg we needed this for sooo long im so glad it have been added

10 Likes

This is an awesome feature, I can’t wait to see it! The Game Explorer definitely needed a revamp!

12 Likes

Clicking on the hamburger icon throws the following error every time on all game’s I’ve tried it on and requires the asset manager to be restarted before it’s able to be used again.

07:17:55.432 - Plugin_AssetManager.rbxm.AssetManager.Packages.package_index.Cryo-d467f4c6a862-1ba35bb23d0f.packages.Cryo.Dictionary.join:18: bad argument #1 (table expected, got nil)

8 Likes

Re: Error

This should now be resolved!

We are flipping changes that will resolve this issue soon. Thank you for the reports!

21 Likes

Looks very awesome, 100% Gonna use this! <3

8 Likes

Can’t wait to veiw it myself!! It looks very nice as well!

8 Likes

Looks awesome, and seems like it’ll definitely help with workflow and organization. Can’t wait to check it out.

7 Likes

Can’t wait for this to be released!

7 Likes

I like it so far, but can we get a list view and or dropdown option like the old game explorerer?
Something about these folders doesn’t sit with me well

12 Likes

Quick Update: The error should now be resolved. Please let us know if you are continuing to encounter issues. Thank you!

Also, we appreciate all the early feedback already. Keep it coming!

18 Likes

Looks amazing! Am excited to use it. Is this only out for beta testers?

4 Likes

So far, looks amazing, but it’s still missing something critical:

I have several assets that I use across different games. I do not want to re-upload my meshes or decals every single time I want to reference them by name.

Allowing us to add existing assets to the manager would fix this problem and would allow us to update assets referenced by name by simple changing the Roblox ID reference.

27 Likes

Whenever I try to view the meshes folder in the Asset Manager, I end up with a flood of API throttle warnings and all I get in the window is the same meshes loaded over and over again (the first page just loops instead of showing more assets).
https://gyazo.com/c0bb21336bca5f77dcb5da05e9bb4bf5

https://gyazo.com/47a8dc48bf59af5c38956273d7c14e3a

20 Likes

Are we still going to be able to see Developer Products via the menu? I didn’t find a folder for it.

7 Likes