Best Ways to Learn To Build

Hey developers!

I’m going to get straight to the point. I don’t know how to build on Roblox. Like this is a map I’m working on for my game, and it doesn’t look too great. My main focus as of right now is learning how to script, which I’m currently doing. However, I realized I should be learning to build as well since pretty much every game involves it, e.g. maps or a lobby for players to wait in. Scripting is not the whole of a game - games require building and designing as well.

I know how to utilize things like rotate, models, gap fillers, resize, move, and other basic things like that. However, I would like to know how you (builders) learned to build.

For example, whenever I take a free model to use as a reference/explore its parts, I always find things like unions and meshes - I’ve never been more clueless as to what these are or how they work.

Bottom line:
How did you learn to build? Any recommended resources for a beginner? Any tips or quick facts? Difficulty levels?

24 Likes

I would say just practice, Im not the best myself but after some practice I have noticed there is a big difference from my old builds.

7 Likes

How i learned how to build is by watching youtube tutorials.You will get some knowledge and try taking free models and learn how they build it since you know some of the basics.

here is a list of videos that will teach you the basics

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ7duklQLjs
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7K95q56K7U
*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbmKVJP1Z4

you can try finding some more videos.Hope this will help!

12 Likes

Hey, I would definitely consider not making a map at the start of building. Also, building & scripting at the same time is not the best thing to do. You should focus on one then the other. Union/negate is pretty simple, generally used to make objects more advanced (like if you wanted to put a hole through a block, you use union/negate.) Meshes can be made in different programs, but most people use Blender. It’s a hard program which you shouldn’t worry about learning until way later on as you’re trying to learn building and scripting already. Meshes are more complicated objects that can’t be made/made as well as what studio could do. I learned years and years ago so it was different and to a degree, harder. But I remembered that before studio I played building games (there are F3X versions of this type of game now, maybe check them out?) but with studio I learned with practice.Not many tutorials were around but whatever ones were that were around with what I struggled with, I used. TL;DR practice, watch tutorials, understand where you are in building and be okay with it and dont dump your life into building in an effort to get rich/famous. goodluck

8 Likes

To learn how to build is a short answer is you practice:

As I said before there’s a bunch of topics on how to build which have a lot of useful building tips and plugins that have been suggested.

Normally when I start to build or create particles you should get inspired by developed or something your most interested in or enjoy such as. Sc-fi, nature, anything you put your mind to. Try creating small objects or small builds like a detailed house or table based off a reference image keep experimenting with different styles. Don’t be scared or afraid to try new things; try to make things that you’ve never made before. Finally, you should look up a few decent tutorials if there needed to help you along the way.

Once you find a style you’d like to build, think of a image in your head. Try to use reference image or inspiration from people’s build or developers that inspire you to build, because it may improve your skills. There are also other responses offered below which leaves a lot of tips for learning how to build or becoming a better builder.

Also, use plugins; they’re extremely helpful tools that you absolutely forget after you got used to them. GapFill is one and others. These tools aren’t meant to be avoided, or thrown to the side using them doesn’t make you a better builder. But really, plugins makes everything much cleaner and it’ll help you with building things faster if there needed.

3 Likes

It’s a great thing you wish to learn to build, it’s fun and an amazing experience.
For me, I played many F3X building games and competed in F3X dedicated groups, I got to socialize while learning many steps to building at the same time :slight_smile:
Also, you could always try watching YouTube videos, there are tons out there on basics of how to build simple objects and tricks.
Goodluck!

3 Likes

Hello there! Something that you could take consideration of is not going for the biggest and best idea that you personally came up with. I in the past, did this and gave up so easily due to this. I had no clue how things worked and couldn’t come up with my own ideas. So, I just started practicing in general. I created simple buildings and as I became more experienced I made more complex builds. I would say that my difficultly rating was around a 7/10. I highly suggest you watch YouTube videos to get more familiar with how things work. I wish you the best of luck in the future.

1 Like

I just searched up “Roblox Speedbuilds” and found Let’s Blox on Youtube by doing that. I felt like I needed to see something actually being built.

It was more intuitive than logical for me and I just stared in awe of how he built so well. Stopped the video when he did something I couldn’t understand and ran it back a few times before I finally got it. It got to this point where I could just say to myself “if I add this and that it’ll look better” really quickly (sort of like a caveman). I learnt a lot quicker about building fundamentals by seeing someone actually create a model rather than learn stuff piece by piece. It comes together a lot more fluidly; you can understand why they did something and how it fits into the building, instead of looking at isolated demonstrations that you have to scramble together like a puzzle.

That being said, I also searched up properties and effects to get a good understanding on what they really do. It’s a mix of watching someone do it and reading up on it in Roblox API Reference Manual. Though, I’d say that watching the speed builds helped the most. I haven’t really done anything else besides that, but just the speed builds alone conveyed a ton of good techniques to me.

Let’s Blox’s channel if you’re interested:

Also, check out the portfolios in Portfolios - DevForum | Roblox if you want to get ‘inspired’ by some design choices by other builders. Always a good idea to look at other styles of work to meld into your own.

My only tip: your imagination is what will eventually hold you back, once you have good building skills, it becomes more of a matter about what to build, rather than how to build it; you should definitely google images for reference if you get to that point.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the recommendations, advice, and experiences!

I can agree - no way to get better than to practice!

That’s definitely something I would do - thanks for the links to the building videos!

Yeah, I kind of struggled a bit with motivation to keep building despite my standings, so thanks for the advice!

At first, I didn’t really use plugins, but when I started attempting to build, I realized there were so many plugins I could use to get better at it. Any plugin recommendations?

I actually didn’t think of this - I think this is a great idea for building beginners like me - thanks!

Great process to learn from - agreeable to start out easy then slowly progress as you get better.

I did try and look for some videos, but for some reason I couldn’t find any, so thanks for the videos and your experience - this is something I’m definitely going to try!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t suggest to much plugins in my reply however Studio Build Suite, F3X are some useful plugins to use it depends on which ones your more comfortable with things like gapefill and others are good as well.

Other than that I find Stravant’s plugins really good when building. Especially ResizeAlign, GapFill, overall I won’t go to far in this reply if your looking for more plugin recommendations I would perhaps checking this out as there are a lot of plugins they have been suggested by different users - developers.

https://devforum.roblox.com/search?q=building%20plugins

2 Likes

From experience, I recommend watching speed builds in youtube, then keep on practicing. Make sure you keep motivated though. Practice makes perfect!

Hope this helps!
Happy Developing!

2 Likes

I started many years ago and the first thing I made was a slanty grey studded brick with the walls falling of.

Practice is the best method to learn and experimenting with the different tools ROBLOX studio has to offer.

Personally I’m a reasonable developer but I struggle with the creative side of things and a struggle with imagination so I use google maps/earth or go for a walk (dorset countryside is a perk). Seriously though go for a walk and take notice on buildings, cafes, houses and it would really inspire you. The only difference in development to builders on a worksite is that you won’t have a hard hat or a cement mixer.

Developer Hub, Hidden Developers, YouTube or even on 3rd party websites such as 3DWarehouse will help.

I really do recommend this YouTuber called ModelCreator? I think that’s his name someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Good luck anyway.

If you need any help dm me.

Feedback

There are many topics related to this question. I suggest searching some up. However, I will provide some examples:

1 Like

Im going to answer it shortly and simple.

Just build the basic design first. Eventually, if you’re creative. You’ll have a weird desire to improve.

1 Like

I’m probably going to be the werid one in this, because everyone suggested practicing and stuff, I suggest you to do experiments with building stuff that you havent tried

I started developing for a group even though I had almost ZERO experience with studio, suddenly they decided for us to make another game and there was going to be multiple builders, then I started experimenting with unions, materials, terrain, fog, lighting… untill they got rid of all the builders and let me do the work

even though I failed school because i was heavily focused on building the game, it became my proudest work and all that with no skill, just me experimenting the features of studio

2 Likes

I started with Terrain, I already had scripting knowledge I just couldn’t build. Anyway I started with Terrain so I could familiarise myself with some of studios tools. I would then just practice terrain and make small little maps and copy other peoples buildings and see how they built what they built, I’d add to that building or just leave it the same.

Another thing I’d do is starting making low poly assets on blender and import them into studio since you may need to use that in the future - just a thought though.

Hope this is helps a little. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can search up for terrain tutorials on youtube, They can come of as really helpful and are good for big maps, If you want to build models i recommend you start off by taking a model from the toolbox and looking at it, then try to replicate the model but add in your own details. That’s how I personally learned it. Goodluck with building!

1 Like

Practice is honestly probably the best way, just spend a lot of time building different things, trying different styles and along the way you will learn new things and how to use different tools. Also tutorials from the developer hub can help people use different tools and how to develop as a builder.

1 Like

The best way to learn how to build is to first learn the different features and tool provided within studio such as Move, Scale, Rotate and so on.
Next you should pick a small project, maybe something like a house or a household item that you wish to create and then attempt to make it.
Learning to build is rather easy and comes with extensive practice. The main issue I find most builders have is coming up with a design. For beginners I would recommend using a photo or drawing to use and aim to recreate it as best you can and learn from your mistakes and attempts

1 Like

Personally as a beginner I chose F3x as it was alot easier and less complicated than the complexity of roblox studio for a beginner, roblox building is all about practice, building is not always perfect and sometimes you just have to try things and fix them until you think they are right, I would recommend just taking a look around studio, getting used to it, watching a few videos on building basic things.