Brand New Bubble Chat Customizations

The tail doesn’t seem to like to play correctly with all the bubblechat colors, is there anyway we can get direct control over the tails color?

Now this is helpful! Good to see some UI updates.

1 Like

I’m not sure how to use the Background Image Option.

I’ve tried using multiple Decals with various Sizes and none have worked.

The Image just goes Transparent.

I didn’t even think about using a transparent image. It’d be great if in the future they’d separate the text from the bubble so that we can make just the bubble transparent, but this works just fine for now. Thanks!

1 Like

Well, how do I do that? I don’t really know…

[VERSION 3.2] Bubbly Chat! [Now uses the new bubbles!] Here ya go.

1 Like

Quick Question: Will there be an option in the future where you can have your own customizable chat bubble that you can bring into different games instead having to code it into a single Roblox game? If so that would be cool! :grinning:

I’ve been working on this feature for my game. Hopefully, with the ability to customize both the top and bottom half of a specific user’s chat bubble, I can implement an in-game command for this. I’ve also introduced an in-game trust ranking system before the release, and set a 3rd rank for players to be able to use the system.

Fixed a bug with the chat bubble styles!

Unfortunately, thre is a bug where combining user specific settings with the original settings does not work, so I set up a timer for the new Styled Bubble Chat to go live in my Roblox game.
2021-07-01T05:00:00Z

I chose July 1st because that is enough time to find a workaround, should I ever want to obtain a fork for the styled chat.

By the way, this is a really cool feature. A lot of people have been asking for per-message customization options. Ideally, this would be useful for:

• Highlighting messages sent automatically by game, similarly to Adopt Me’s auto-chat system for Pets & Babies
  • Different colors for warnings by moderators (by using yellow background with red text)
  • To distinguish between Private Chat and Public Chat
  • When an NPC changes (e.g. from friendly to evil, or vice versa)
  • Displaying different-colored chat bubbles for different context, like a black bubble when an NPC starts saying something creepy, or large text when an NPC is shouting (mainly something like in Animal Crossing when an NPC is upset, excited, etc.)
3 Likes

I’d like to contribute a potential cross-platform issue my friends and I have run into while trying to make something playable (for the first time in years), it seemed we had to disable bubble chat because Xbox players aren’t supposed to be able to chat? I don’t remember exactly, it’s 2am here and I wasn’t in charge of cross-platform compatibility related stuff, but I’m hoping these changes can make it so we can re-enable bubble chat for supported platforms.

It’s a reply because I figured it was a similar thing - enabling/disabling bubble chat per player, albeit for different situations.

2 Likes

Very cool Udapte , And very Nice udapte

This is such a great idea in my opinion personally. This will give a lot of variety to the chat bubble system since it is usually the same as always. It also allows devs to learn how to function to learn and use the chat bubbles that we haven’t experienced beforehand to this update. Excited for what people are going the make with the new feature pretty cool indeed!

4 Likes

I think yes I saw it in one of the custom settings.

1 Like

I think it is good I am using it in one of my projects

It is great to see the addition of new bubble chat customizations especially for the newest customizations options you have added in the last few days.

2 Likes

I love this feature a lot but please add a feature to make unique bubble chats based off the name of the Adornee or/and the name of the Adornee’s parent. If i want to set up the same bubble chat for multiple NPCs, and they have different FullNames, i would have to manually set up the bubble chat for each one. Another nice way to add this would be to use the tag of the Adornee.

And… I’m still having problems with bubble chat almost always cutting off early on mobile.

1 Like

Greatly appreciate the work put in to update the new chat bubbles!

I recently published the new bubble chat system in my game.
Although unfortunately, I had to revert back to use the old system for one critical reason:

I hide player characters in Replicated Storage to optimize my game and allow for dynamic asset loading/unloading.
Using the new system, player chat bubbles will still appear regardless if the player characters are hidden in ReplicatedStorage or visible in Workspace. The old system handles this fine, by hiding player chat bubbles (or rather not rendering them to begin with) if the character is not in the Workspace.

If this issue could be addressed I’d love to switch to using the new system! The tweening is clean and the easy customization is lovely!

2 Likes

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I’m keeping notes of all the bug reports and customization settings that you all are suggesting.

The BackgroundColor3 setting will also change the color of the tail, even if you’re using a background image or gradient.

This is a known bug where UICorners will sometime cause a 1-pixel offset on the size of the affected UI element. We’re investigating!

As a workaround you can use the new AdorneeName customization setting, which supports attachments!

Unfortunately we couldn’t include the full list of supported settings to the SetBubbleChatSettings page because it was getting too large to fit on a documentation API page. However there is a link to the Bubble chat article (in the “description” column under the “Parameters” section) which has the full list. Was it perhaps easy to miss?

3 Likes

Please, please, please add Text Stroke customizations. I’d like to keep the white background, but with brighter colors they’re practically invisible without text stroke.

2 Likes

Has anyone had success with using images for the bubbles? So far I’ve only been using this image (“rbxassetid://6733332557”) that was in the DevHub Bubble Chat Tutorial, and it works fine.

But whenever I use other images they just end up invisible and wacky. (The image I used is visible in this picture as a decal, the spiky speech bubble)

Is there a size I need to follow or something to make the bubble work?

2 Likes

Update to my situation:

I tried it again but this time I resized my image so that it is the exact same image size and proportions as the sample image that worked. However, for some reason, it doesn’t load at all.

I have no idea why it isn’t working.

[First Part of the Video is Using Sample Image, Second is Using Mine]

1 Like