Cage Mesh Deformer - Studio Beta

interesting to say the least

11 Likes

Just wondering what the best way to add customizable hats, shoes, etc… to skinned meshes is. I have something right now that seems to work but I am interested in other techniques.
What I have right now is a transparent head thingy that is wrapped to the skinned meshes head. Then I weld my accessory(hat) to the fake head and it seems to work okay.

my hand(pen) writing hurts me to look at :grinning:,haven’t written for so long…

This is what it looks like in blender:

It seems that if you are doing only hats or something with a character that isn’t stretching much, this might work better that the example that the roblox devs gave, because with this, you don’t have to make a inner, and outer mesh for each accessory.
However, I may very well be wrong and that is why I am asking about it :grinning:

Edit: Okay this actually doesn’t really work how I described it, there is one change. That is that in blender you name the Head bone(the one the Half Head has most of it’s weights on) the same as the half head. In my case that would be naming the head bone “Head” instead of “neck.001”. That way Roblox uses the MeshPart “Head”(the half head) to skin the bone instead of using the bone. So in the animation editor instead of changing the bones CFrame you would change the MeshPart “Head” 's CFrame. But I guess you could still use this. Again, I am looking for better methods of doing this!

Edit 2: Umm, so I just realized that what I have above doesn’t even use a wrap layer or wrap target and can be used without the beta enabled…
So I am planning on making a hat but having the outer and inner boxes be around the whole player? For a R15 or R6 rig it would be outer and inner boxes for that limb specifically but for Skinned meshes with only one mesh I am guessing that I would have to put the outer and inner boxes around the whole rig. And for the object that the inner and outer rigs pair with(<RENDER_MESH_NAME>), would that be just a hat?

1 Like

We are working on and planning to release a set of tools in Beta for working with cage meshes in the next couple of months. Will update this thread when it happens.

4 Likes

Thanks for reporting this. This is a known issue and we are working on fixing this.

3 Likes

Old reply ik, but vertex editing is SUPER important for advanced terrain generation and procedural water, as well as allowing for user generated resources such as a displacement map solution, or lightsabers slicing through walls. Now, there’s a lot of effort involved in creating an interface for this, but I would personally love a feature like this.

Because their goal is to use it for layered clothing/rthro improvements, releasing it to developers is a bonus

6 Likes

Hi, I have another issue that’s related to layered clothing - some avatar packages have a problem that impacts the use of layered clothing & regular accessories as well : Various older avatar packges have incorrect heads

I’ve tried reaching out to various folks @ Roblox about this, but have had almost 0 response regarding any of it. Would definitely love to have this fixed.

I love how this Beta Feature is mostly for 3D clothing only showed an example of how to do it on a block. Making a 3D clothing a deformed mesh is a different process from the block one and I am aware that it’s still on beta feature and it’s not official yet, but It would be nice if we are educated just a bit on how it works on Avatars.

5 Likes

This Will Make Detail And Objects Much Better, Looking Forward To Games Using This In The Future

2 Likes

So does this work with skinned meshes? I remember trying when it came out, but since skinned meshes don’t seem to update their hitboxes/etc for some reason along with their animation, the clothing just remained static along with it. I’m asking because I might have messed something up back then, or I’m hoping it might’ve been fixed.
The only alternative right now is having the clothing be skinned along with the base body, but it’s pretty inefficient to make entirely new versions for other potential body-types
Thanks.

1 Like

So I was experimenting and for some reason the mesh didn’t transform to the target, it only got to its location. Then I tried using the example place file to figure out what I’m doing wrong, but turns out the feature is actually broken right now, because the same thing happened and Studio even crashed on top of it, every time I ran the plugin. Is this only on my end or is something up?

Update: Now it transforms! But still crashes…

Update 2: Now it works! Not sure what was the problem, guessing it got fixed tho.

I really want Roblox to stop being called a Lego blocky game, if you go on r/gaming and search “Roblox”. A lot of people call it for children, blocky, lego ripoff. I hope this update changes the perspective of roblox to non-roblox players! :slight_smile:

I don’t think he’s referring it to lego-blocky, but more as blocky. Either way, Cage Mesh Deformer will still be blocky and has it’s blocky style, that is if you are using no package.

People that call it a lego ripoff or a children’s game probably played it before R15 was around, because in 2006-2009, they had circle studs which came from lego, and between then and 2016, R15 didn’t exist and people would just take one look at it and call it that type of game.

This might come off as a bit rude, so I apologize.

I personally think that unless someone has personally tried playing Roblox, and actually took the time to realize its potential, people don’t deserve to have any say in the matter whether Roblox is a kids game or not. People who call it a lego-ripoff have no idea what they are talking about.

If someone thinks Roblox is a lego-ripoff, then they either haven’t played Roblox recently, or they are just stealing the opinion of others.

5 Likes

I never said that I call Roblox a blocky game, I said that other people call Roblox a blocky game.

1 Like

Sorry if I worded that wrong, I meant people in r/gaming, and others who claim it to be a blocky kids game.

1 Like

I 100% agree. I love the way my avatar looks and the general look of people’s avatars when they really customize them and make them their own. The look of the new-ish mesh avatars/packages in the catalog that don’t let you wear regular shirts and pants just looks so out of place and really clashes with the style of Roblox.
Something this feature could be really cool for would be to take some of Roblox’s existing and more on-theme packages like Robloxian2.0 and make it a skinned mesh instead of having the seams between each joint/part.

2 Likes

Yea definitely looks better. Perfect for a museum or the center of a city.

1 Like

Is it possible to make car collision out of this?

2 Likes

@Gam3r_Play3r It is possible but I’m not exactly sure how it’ll be executed. I’d suggest waiting till this is fully released before trying anything like that.

4 Likes

This feature is useful but it takes your PC to the max level of lag and you can’t export meshes to make GFX.

4 Likes