Closed Devlog About My Game

NEW:

game isn’t available for public anymore. Sub to YouTube for updates

Hello devs!

This post is a devlog of a game I'm currently working on.

Enregistrement de l’écran 2023-10-24 à 00.56.37

Current version:

Monday 23 October [17:45 Paris]

Last Wednesday, while watching some videos, I thought about creating a game like the famous BeamNG.drive . I then browsed the web, to see how softbody simulation work, for deformable objects. then I just coded it.
Here is a video, showing to you how it looks like…

do you have any good name idea for the game? or “crashNation” is a good one?

Thank you if you took your time for reading this, please give me feedbacks so I can upgrade the project!

10 Likes

This is really good! The deforming looks realistic but I think that it could be slightly more affected by crashes because the amount of deforming isn’t very much despite the high speed it went. But I still think that this is really cool and I would like to play it in the future sometime.

2 Likes

thank you for your feedback! yes, you are right, I’m currently working on something to make it more deformable. I will keep you updated by posting on the forum !

1 Like

Monday 23 October [22:14 Paris]
As suggested by @labra_doodle12 I corrected the physics, the car is more deformable from now (5 times) as you can see in the following video:

next step is adding two different parts of the car and attach them, as they can actually detach if too much force is applied between them.
I also added a small change to the map :wink:

2 Likes

It looks a lot more realistic now. Great job! :+1:

1 Like

Tuesday 24 October [1:02 Paris]
I just updated the collision so the car doesn’t bounce everywhere!
here is a gif to show you that
Enregistrement de l’écran 2023-10-24 à 00.56.37

And here is a short video showing more precisely how it performs:

1 Like

How do you deform the car like that? I’ve been trying to create a soft body after seeing this, but I don’t know the correct approach to making the object change shape. I don’t have the stuff to actually make it a soft body yet but I want to know how to deform things like that. Do you use a certain object like bones to warp it? I haven’t really worked with things like that before.

1 Like

Yes! I just used a model I found on the when, added bones in blender, and then using my soft body simulation I deform the mesh changing bones positions

1 Like

Wednesday 25 October [11:41 Pars]
Today I added custom collision boxes to allow cars collide each others, as mesh deformation is only visual.
Here is a gif showing you it (the collision boxes will be transparent)
Enregistrement de l’écran 2023-10-25 à 11.38.30

1 Like

Test with a crash in a tree:

3 Likes

Tuesday 26 October [1:04 Paris]
I rigged some other parts of the car, and added the hood to the game.

also improved some physics, and added breakable welds, that will be used for all spareted parts (simulating the screws)

1 Like

Hello this is really amazing!

Do you know how to make car crash physics?

1 Like

hi I replied on your main topic :ok_hand:

So I got blender because I didn’t already have it and I don’t know how to rig it so that it would have those points. Could you help?

1 Like

A major thing with softboddies is absorption, as much as you can make the deformation, the vehicle doesn’t bounce back, it should absorb the impact and “crumple”

1 Like

Yea the new version does that I had to code my own collision script , and it doesn’t work every time but it kinda work :wink: I will try to make it a bit better . Thanks for the reply :+1:

3 Likes

Yes , create an armature, and then duplicate the bones . Put the bottom of the bone where you want the node to be

1 Like

Man your scripting talented are out of this world I sent you a message

1 Like

Friday 27 October [14:30 Paris]
Added the left door, and had to remove the custom collision due to performances issue. script Activity dropped from 10 to 1%. Working on a new solution