Control the Fresnel effect of ForceField material using the Reflection property

It looks like the flag for ForceFields has just been flipped. It looks like a cool effect, but I’m having trouble finding a good use case for it, just because its behavior is not very versatile. It seems to have both a “Fresnel” effect (the glow you see around edges looking away from you) and an “Intersection” effect (the glow you see when a force field intersects with another material)

I’m having trouble finding a good use case for this. It seems to only really work on spheres or meshes (though it isn’t enabled on MeshParts just yet) that have their central planes generally facing towards you.

At first I thought it could be used for some sort of scanning effect

But when you reach that critical angle where the fresnel effect applies, it just becomes a solid color.

Although I don’t know the particulars of how the force field shader works, it would be cool if force fields could be used for their “surface intersection” properties only, and ignore or reduce the fresnel effect.

What do you think? What use cases have you found for the new material? What is the intended use case for the material?

15 Likes

it has some really neat shimmering effects but they only work under very specific circumstances that aren’t documented anywhere
best I can tell it’s when a specialmesh with a texture is inside of a character or something

I’d love to use this to make some cool 3d hologram effects and such but it doesn’t work with meshparts and the cool effect almost never shows up on anything

edit: example

3 different humanoids with said humanoid viewtype set to none, all body parts but root part and head removed, head mesh replaced with a custom mesh, and a fractal texture applied to the specialmesh
I think it works with hats too?
it’s a damn process to get it to work properly

3 Likes

I’ve found a way to reproduce this outside of a character. It’s similar to a bug that happened with Neon a while back.

1. Create a Part
  2. Set the Part’s transparency
  3. Insert a SpecialMesh
  4. Set the MeshId to some UV-mapped mesh
  5. Set the TextureId to some texture with alpha transparency

Really cool effect! I wish this were intentional… I’m still very unclear as to how ForceField is supposed to function.

Imgur

7 Likes