Creator AMA (Economy) - with Antoni and Enrico [May 22, 2024]

Will there ever be a revamp of the UGC sponsor system? In the current system, creators lose a lot more than what they pay for in return. Additionally, sponsoring an old item does not allow you to see it’s statistics on the website due to limited pagination. The statistics are only available when directly accessing it using the web API.

5 Likes

Are there plans to improve the Rights manager/DMCA system so that it cannot be exploited so easily?

Some people have found ways to exploit the system, resulting in UGC items being DMCAd using toolbox models, UGC items being DMCAd using decals and people abusing the rights manager using a copy-paste script to target specific items.

There has also been a case where one UGC creator DMCA’d a hair of theirs which was stolen, but the AI moderation deleted all of their blonde hair textures that they created, which caused them to lose at least 8 million robux (or $28k USD, going by devex rates)

8 Likes

Will roblox still take action against the limited knock off items that get posted constantly on the catalog? and if you are do you plan on making punishments more extreme to discourage such violations specifically being mimicking limiteds?

11 Likes

The biggest concern I have, and a lot of others do too, is the new fees and rebates with the public UGC update. Now that we’ve had a month of these 100 Robux fees per item, are you planning on keeping it like this? Since these fees started, true UGC creators have barely been dropping free limiteds for their communities. It’s mostly just brands and big developers now. These fees have ruined the fun events people used to create, and now most UGC limiteds have less than 25 stock.

I get the idea behind the rebates, but having to spend up to 2,000 Robux just to release an item that might not even make back a quarter of that is pretty discouraging. Meanwhile, people uploading Dominus, Valks, and Headless items are making tons without any real moderation. This makes it tough for smaller creators who want to enter the UGC space.

So comes to my question/hope. I’m hoping/asking for a consideration on lowering the per-stock fees for UGC limiteds and/or reducing the rebates. This would lower the entry barrier brought by rebates and give more people a chance to get succeed. And mainly, it would bring back the community created events that used come from the cheaper UGC stock fees, which is what I’m mainly hoping for back.

55 Likes

Any way that in the future we can download data of Group Payouts to your account, similar to Sales of Goods downloads on Groups?

4 Likes

Will Roblox’s Classic Faces ever make a comeback?

As Roblox plans to replace all existing Classic Faces with Dynamic Heads, they have been taking the previous Classic Faces offsale, with no way to obtain them ever again. Feedback on this decision has been incredibly negative, since the replacement heads are not 1:1 recreations, and not everyone wants to have an animated head.

Since Dynamic Heads are a bundle type, it would be great if Roblox just bundled the old Classic Faces in with the newer Dynamic Head bundles, so that you’d get both items for one purchase. Everyone would be happy.

13 Likes

What is the future of business when it comes to tackling giants like amazon.
I think roblox has a unique opportunity to influence a new generation of online marketing and selling imagine a world where you can order anything you want from in a game such as roblox the ability to sell your tshirts in game would be super cool
or lets say your a farmer and want to sell your food to people directly
thru a game ?

What is the future thought process on that

i think the metaverse is something that can easily become a part of everyday life.
just like amazon or netflix

1 Like

There is a clear need in the marketplace for particular UGC clothing categories such as body suits, handheld items, masks, etc. The shoes category isn’t even open. It’s much easier for Roblox to narrow categories down if there are too many than it is to introduce new ones later, and yet creators are extremely constrained.

What is the reason for keeping the categories super narrow, forcing people to categorize things strangely and reduce searchability, and what is Roblox’s plan for accommodating these creative use cases?

9 Likes

Any upcoming Updates for Consoles/Controllers like, Dual-Sense Controller Support (Haptic Feedback, with Adaptive Triggers), 3D audio support, Voice chat and Type chat support, gyro support, even a possible release for switch?

4 Likes

Since I was asked to post my questions individually

2 Could we ever except some UGC avatar bundles to not require a modesty layer unique stuff like @ev1 ’s “Steven” bundle using it to pixelate clothing

3 Likes

The lack of communication between UGC staff and creators is abysmal in comparison to communication between other developer roles and staff. When can we expect this to improve and have more of a direct channel to directly discuss issues with moderation, false takedowns, bugs, etc.?

Can we also expect to see a private ‘Top’ UGC creator Guilded where top earners and experienced creators can have a safe environment to talk about issues with UGC that reflect the opinions of the community, set up monthly office hours, etc.? This is the treatment that other developers have and as Roblox is pushing hard with regards to UGC For All, it is unfortunate that us creators do not also have equal treatment to talk about matters that need to be addressed, especially if Roblox wishes to see this now-public program flourish.

24 Likes

About 2 years ago, Roblox started making old popular offsale items limited. After about a year of 1-2 going limited daily, Roblox stopped with the introduction of UGC limiteds as they wanted to give UGC limiteds the spotlight. Will Roblox ever return to making more popular old offsales limited anytime soon? There are many highly sought after offsale items like Workclock Shades and Headphones, that haven’t gone limited yet. People will spend alot of money for them.

11 Likes
  1. How does Roblox feel about being fully on the hook for the multiple billions worth of robux paid out as refunds from abuse of the European illegal content reporting form? Not only is this a robux duplication, the vast majority of the robux earned from the deleted items has been cashed out long ago, meaning Roblox is generating this robux out of thin air and paying fully out of pocket.
12 Likes

As more brands are moving to Roblox, the possibilities with regards to linking in real-world merchandise more directly seem like they would be the next thing around the corner. How do you imagine a service for handling this type of commerce plays out in Roblox’s eyes? For example, is the goal to provide an API/tooling to embed third-party commerce services within experiences, or is the goal to build a full e-commerce component native to Roblox? If there isn’t much to share here yet, it’d be interesting to know how strong of a priority this is amongst everything else changing with Roblox’s economy (and possibly a potential timeframe for when we’d learn more? :pleading_face:)

Looking forward to seeing all of the responses!

3 Likes

Are off-sale items such as Toycodes, and old event items expected to be sold for robux or as limiteds?

5 Likes

Does Roblox have plans to provide support for subscription-based paid plugins?

1 Like

Are there any plans for bringing Custom Shading Support to the engine?

3 Likes

When will users be able to use Robux for in-game subscriptions?

5 Likes

As the ability to create UGC accessories has been enabled for everyone, I must ask if there will ever be any future changes to punishing copyright theft?

As creators cannot realistically be expected to navigate the avatar marketplace page, there will be situations where their ip can be stolen, reuploaded and profited off of without said creator knowing. If this creator does find out, the punishment for a strike that goes through is only a warning on a first offense. This does not reconcile the potential weeks to months of stolen sales from said creator and unless the sales from the stolen ip is returned to the creator, it is a total loss for everyone, but the initial thief. Perhaps a much more severe punishment for discovered theft after a month or more past its initial publish date would help rectify this issue.

7 Likes

I would like to ask about plugin prices.

In this post, I’ve mentioned the potential bad effects of the plugins now being sold by USD instead of Robux, I’ve read the FAQ and everything, and I would still like to ask, is Roblox sure that they couldn’t have found another solution? I think I made some good points in my post and replies talking about other potential solutions that would’ve helped to address the solutions both on the seller and the customer side.

Currently, this change creates a huge imbalance in the market by only caring about the plugin creators, and not the customers (other developers). Roblox advertises itself as a global platform where its creators can come and build regardless of their position and situations in the world, but this change only prioritizes one certain population.