Creator AMA (Economy) - with Antoni and Enrico [May 22, 2024]

Since I was asked to post my questions individually

2 Could we ever except some UGC avatar bundles to not require a modesty layer unique stuff like @ev1 ’s “Steven” bundle using it to pixelate clothing

3 Likes

The lack of communication between UGC staff and creators is abysmal in comparison to communication between other developer roles and staff. When can we expect this to improve and have more of a direct channel to directly discuss issues with moderation, false takedowns, bugs, etc.?

Can we also expect to see a private ‘Top’ UGC creator Guilded where top earners and experienced creators can have a safe environment to talk about issues with UGC that reflect the opinions of the community, set up monthly office hours, etc.? This is the treatment that other developers have and as Roblox is pushing hard with regards to UGC For All, it is unfortunate that us creators do not also have equal treatment to talk about matters that need to be addressed, especially if Roblox wishes to see this now-public program flourish.

24 Likes

About 2 years ago, Roblox started making old popular offsale items limited. After about a year of 1-2 going limited daily, Roblox stopped with the introduction of UGC limiteds as they wanted to give UGC limiteds the spotlight. Will Roblox ever return to making more popular old offsales limited anytime soon? There are many highly sought after offsale items like Workclock Shades and Headphones, that haven’t gone limited yet. People will spend alot of money for them.

11 Likes
  1. How does Roblox feel about being fully on the hook for the multiple billions worth of robux paid out as refunds from abuse of the European illegal content reporting form? Not only is this a robux duplication, the vast majority of the robux earned from the deleted items has been cashed out long ago, meaning Roblox is generating this robux out of thin air and paying fully out of pocket.
12 Likes

As more brands are moving to Roblox, the possibilities with regards to linking in real-world merchandise more directly seem like they would be the next thing around the corner. How do you imagine a service for handling this type of commerce plays out in Roblox’s eyes? For example, is the goal to provide an API/tooling to embed third-party commerce services within experiences, or is the goal to build a full e-commerce component native to Roblox? If there isn’t much to share here yet, it’d be interesting to know how strong of a priority this is amongst everything else changing with Roblox’s economy (and possibly a potential timeframe for when we’d learn more? :pleading_face:)

Looking forward to seeing all of the responses!

3 Likes

Are off-sale items such as Toycodes, and old event items expected to be sold for robux or as limiteds?

5 Likes

Does Roblox have plans to provide support for subscription-based paid plugins?

1 Like

Are there any plans for bringing Custom Shading Support to the engine?

3 Likes

When will users be able to use Robux for in-game subscriptions?

5 Likes

As the ability to create UGC accessories has been enabled for everyone, I must ask if there will ever be any future changes to punishing copyright theft?

As creators cannot realistically be expected to navigate the avatar marketplace page, there will be situations where their ip can be stolen, reuploaded and profited off of without said creator knowing. If this creator does find out, the punishment for a strike that goes through is only a warning on a first offense. This does not reconcile the potential weeks to months of stolen sales from said creator and unless the sales from the stolen ip is returned to the creator, it is a total loss for everyone, but the initial thief. Perhaps a much more severe punishment for discovered theft after a month or more past its initial publish date would help rectify this issue.

7 Likes

I would like to ask about plugin prices.

In this post, I’ve mentioned the potential bad effects of the plugins now being sold by USD instead of Robux, I’ve read the FAQ and everything, and I would still like to ask, is Roblox sure that they couldn’t have found another solution? I think I made some good points in my post and replies talking about other potential solutions that would’ve helped to address the solutions both on the seller and the customer side.

Currently, this change creates a huge imbalance in the market by only caring about the plugin creators, and not the customers (other developers). Roblox advertises itself as a global platform where its creators can come and build regardless of their position and situations in the world, but this change only prioritizes one certain population.

I made a feature request regarding the affiliate fees and how it only benefits experiences last year Link based affiliate commission for marketplace products

to create a summary of this feature request – I’m a content creator who has created videos about my and other creator’s UGC, in accumulation these videos have gathered over 100 million views between 2020-2023

I’ve stopped making these videos because ultimately I was driving unmeasurable amount sales to these items and as the video creator, I had no way to reap any rewards from this.

I would love to hear your thoughts adding a link based affiliate system for the Roblox marketplace (similar to online shopping platforms such as Amazon) where the 40% avatar commission can be received by influencers and creators who are driving sales through their own channels.

8 Likes

Are there any plans to make an official marketplace system for limited items to sell them for real cash? The black market scene on Roblox is massive and has a lot of scams happening left and right. It would be interesting to have an official system in place, considering some Roblox limiteds cost up to or more than $10000.

6 Likes

During the last AMA, i asked if you still had any plans regarding limited items/sales. You replied to me saying “No”. However, during “The Hunt” you guys released a bunch of cool new limiteds. I’m wondering if you are considering doing more of this, and, potentially, making old stuff go limited like you did back in 2022.

8 Likes

When will we be allowed to sell models for Robux/money?

7 Likes

When will dynamic head accessories release? It was announced a while ago but has never been implemented. The inability to implement accessories onto our dynamic heads heavily impacts our creative freedom.

2 Likes

Why is there only 450 Robux subscription on the Roblox app? Because it annoys some UGC creators not to be able to pay for the 1000 or 2000 Robux subscription via Apple/Google Pay.

5 Likes

Is there a chance that there will be a more convient way to linking related UGC items below the item? for example i’m visualizing something like this where you would be able to see the item without having to click a link that’s likely hidden by the description, which isnt as eye appealing

19 Likes

It would be extremely useful for UGC creators to have demographic information about users who favourite and purchase items. It’s no different to the information that experiences give us, and would be important when creating UGC for specific audiences,.

4 Likes

Are there plans to revert the fees associated with free UGC limited stock?
Since UGC has gone public, the fee for making free UGC limiteds has gone up from 10-30 per stock, to 100 per stock, which has resulted in a lot of problems not just for UGC creators, but also game developers and free-to-play players.

When free UGC cost just 10-30 per 1 stock it was not uncommon to see free UGC with stocks of hundreds, if not thousands or more. A lot of game developers used free UGC to bring in players to their game, and not only was it a good way to easily get players in your game, but it was also very beneficial to free-to-play players who may not be able to buy robux to dress up their avatars. UGC creators could also make free limiteds to give away to their followers as a way of showing support to the people who supported them etc.

If you were to go into the game “Flex your UGC limiteds” and look at the recent free UGC items that are being published, you would see that most new items do not have more than 50-100 stock in most cases because of how unaffordable it is to make now. (Add onto the fact that you only get 10% of a resale, and its now impossible to “profit” from making free UGC)

4 Likes