Creator Roadmap 2023: End of Year Recap

Will there ever be an update to things such as

New footsteps sounds that you can have on your avatar that you can customize in games

Updated terrain water may have more properties such as underwater caustics, more underwater effects, Smoother swimming movement, and better water texture.

A newer lighting engine with more post processing effects maybe…? No…? Oh okay… I guess…

18 Likes

No no no no no don’t even think about it you already screwed up bundles don’t make it worse

19 Likes

This is more than the top of the Fortnite players in the day they released OG Fortnite, EVERY DAY :hushed:.

Anyway, I like how many updates were this year to help developers even more :clap:

I would just a better algorithm for getting small games have more active players, I hope something like this happens in 2024

20 Likes

It’s always sad to see time fly by so quickly, and here we are bidding farewell to yet another year, friends, and good people in our networks. However, we’ve had some great new features added and a growing community that I’m proud to be a part of. Every time I read about these topics, I feel a sense of warmth and nostalgia on the cold winter nights, giving me hope to believe in my choices and this fantastic community.

I’m thrilled about what you guys have come up with in 2023, and I’m even more excited to see what’s in store for us in 2024! In particular, I’m looking forward to the new features you’ve announced, such as breaking down language barriers, automatic chat translations, and in-experience translation feedback. I hope that the Arabic language is supported, as I’ve noticed that Arabic characters are now supported in text labels, text boxes, and even the AI Assistant! (Arabic is written from right to left, so we had to reverse the word order so that it’s readable, but now we won’t have to do that anymore.)

The announcement of the Banning API is also very exciting news! It would be fantastic to have the ability to ban cheaters’ IPs without having to set up manual modules to handle banning. (Note: we can only ban players, not IPs yet i guess.)

Thank you for all of these great features and for creating such a cool community!

18 Likes

I guess this could be like an emotes-style feature, but most games will prefer to override footstep sounds with custom ones.

I agree, and I hope that some major revamps to the “water” terrain are done with the fluid dynamics update. If they’re adding the ability to change grass heights in certain regions, why not add the ability to have different colors of water?

I feel like Future is Bright is “good enough” for an engine like Roblox. Sure, it’s not anywhere as impressive as other game engines, but it can get the job done. And there’s actually a good amount of post-processing effects already available: https://create.roblox.com/docs/environment/post-processing-effects

17 Likes

I still think there’s a misconception among the community that Roblox is responsible for taking down all UGC with copyrighted material.

Let’s take some Five Nights at Freddy’s UGC for an example. You’ve probably seen some ripped-off UGC somewhere on the catalog, yet it seems that no items have been taken down. The reason is that Roblox doesn’t know if the owner of FNAF actually wants to take them down. As far as Roblox is concerned, the owner of FNAF could have made an agreement to let UGC creators upload FNAF content.

Instead of complaining about Roblox, you should instead be emailing the owners of copyrighted material and notifying them about the breach. These owners will then respond (since they are the only entities that can do so), and Roblox will notified and asked to take them down.

The problem is not that Roblox is just being lazy and watching it happen. The problem is that none of these copyright owners know (or care) that their items are being uploaded. They haven’t filed a strike, so how can Roblox know that they want a takedown?

TL;DR: Roblox is not lazy, just email the copyright owners about any copyrighted UGC.

17 Likes

I think the fact that creators and only creators are responsible for getting items infringing on IP taken down is actually a big issue, especially with public UGC on the horizon. The number of copies in existence right now is appalling and UGC isn’t even public yet. In order for creators to keep copies of their original work off the market they will have to relentlessly file DMCAs, the amount of DMCAs that will need to be filed once public UGC comes out is hard to wrap my mind around.

Another thing that this doesn’t really address is the thousands of copies of items created by Roblox. The only one who can get these copies taken down is Roblox themselves, and their moderation is far too poor to handle that which is probably clear if you are at all familiar with the current state of the marketplace. Also, many of the items that are being copied were marketed as “limited”, “unique”, and “collectible”. At this point that just seems like false advertising and it’s pretty scummy to let items that were pushed as collectible and unique for over a decade get copied and plastered all over the marketplace. It is unfair to the players who put time and effort into getting the original items.

There are many issues with the marketplace and these issues shouldn’t fall on the community. There should be a better first line of defense, so creators don’t have to file loads of DMCAs every week. The fact any item can pass through moderation as long as it’s uploaded in multiple parts is also a huge issue. NSFW items are a huge issue. The simple “file a DMCA report and we’ll take it down” approach doesn’t work for a problem this big anymore. Roblox needs to make some big changes regarding moderation in my opinion. I don’t see how public UGC is remotely even possible at this point in time. The last thing I want to see is the whole marketplace turn into the classic clothing section, but sadly that seems to be right where it is headed.

11 Likes

Hello,
Is it just me or nothing was mentioned about UGC becoming public?
Everyone is talking about how public UGC is on the horizon but the last update is when it was pushed back from November this year to Early 2024 .
Ever since I haven’t heard about an official update on that.

Have you?

13 Likes

I highly doubt that there could ever be such a system. A moderator could not possibly have every single copyrighted work in their head, and they couldn’t know whether someone actually got permission for something or not.

This isn’t like Youtube, where copyright infringement in audio and video are fairly easy to detect (and even then, entire pirated movies can slip by). Companies still have people actively policing Youtube, looking for copyright infringement and manually filing DMCA takedowns.

Additionally, it’s not even their responsibility by law. (Note: Not a lawyer, do not take serious advice from some random guy on the internet).

13 Likes

I agree that a system like that is next to impossible to create, especially with the amount of uploads that there will be during public UGC. That is exactly why I think things need to be completely rethought, as I don’t see how executing public UGC won’t result in the marketplace plummeting into a complete disaster. Roblox should have thought this through a bit more before pushing out yet another half baked feature. At the very least, they should have a better system for reporting and taking down UGC that violates TOS.

9 Likes

With current monetization it is hard for asset authors to even get back the money invested in developing the asset.

Lets do the math for a sample asset:

• The asset is listed at 800R$. Roblox charges $10 for a user to buy this much Robux.
  • Roblox takes a 30% cut leaving 560R$ for the author.
  • Roblox currently offers a developer exchange rate of USD 0.0035 per Robux. So that means the author makes a profit of: 560 x .0035 = $1.96 USD per sale.
  • So roughly 80% of the $10 the user spent goes to Roblox. That’s not a lot of money making it back to the author.
11 Likes

That’s a huge amount of people wasting time idk why they advertise that lol i also don’t know why I just realized that

11 Likes

There isn’t even that many hours in a year

12 Likes

Occlusion culling is still on the roadmap for 2024. It’s under: Create however you want> Engine can support any type of experience.

13 Likes

There are two roadmap items that will help with files syncing and integrating with 3rd party tools on Creator Roadmap under Create however you want>Easy creation optimized for your workflows

• Studio Luau File Sync Beta - Export/import scripts between Studio and disk, so that you can use any IDE or version control system. (Early 2024)
  • Engine Open Cloud API Beta (Scripting only) - Use Open Cloud APIs for cloud based workflows or external IDEs. We’re starting with scripting but plan to expand to the entire data model. (Early 2024)
13 Likes

Hi ModernDev,

With respect to your question regarding “simulate” - the short answer is yes, you will be able to “turn on the physics engine” for a short period of time while in edit mode for selected objects. This means that if you have applied a LinearVelocity constraint to an anchored object such as a train, set a non-zero VectorVelocity, and applied sufficient MaxForce, you will have the ability temporarily simulate the train and have it move based on the VectorVelocity and time it’s simulated.

Hopefully this is what you were envisioning and find it very useful!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,
M0bsterLobster

13 Likes

Yay thank you!

You forgot (or didnt see) to answer the other question at the bottom

8 Likes

Thank you for the information, I have a couple of questions:

Are you guys planning to introduce a new Lighting System rather than Future? (Future is really good and everything, But i feel if Roblox wants to expand their platform for adults, They need to attract them with good graphical games. And a new lighting system would be perfect.)

• New Post-Processing Effects?

• Higher Texture Quality?

11 Likes

The same argument could be made for meshes, decals, Youtube videos, and even Roblox games themselves. Surely, all of these allow mass amounts of copyright violations that even automated systems can’t clean up? There may be some issues with public UGC, but as long as Roblox has a functioning legal department, this is not one of those issues.

11 Likes

Hey @SWEAD15!

We are planning to introduce a new lighting system, but it’s actually meant to be a better fallback to Future lighting. Currently Future is very expensive in terms of performance and the majority of Roblox players can’t run Future on their devices. This new technology will look much more similar to Future than our other lighting systems, while also being more performant than Future. With the new technology, much more people will be able to experience high-end lighting. This new system is also necessary for us to be able to further optimize Future and do other lighting improvements that will improve general lighting quality in Roblox (it’s all connected!).

We don’t have anything to announce regarding higher texture quality for now. We will be making engine improvements in 2024 that could make it more viable and it is on our minds, but it is not explicitly in our plans at the moment.

We don’t have plans for new post-processing effects, but happy to read feature requests if you have any in mind you’d need!

22 Likes