Deleting Uploaded Assets

This would be nice for cleaning up our inventories

29 Likes

Hi there!

The recent meme issue about knuckles got me thinking. People are getting banned due to them uploading this
meme before it was announced to be banned from Roblox. As they can’t delete their own assets, they had no other way out than being banned, which I think is unfair.

Maybe allow everyone who uploads assets to delete them if they wanted or needed to?
With deleting I don’t mean removing it from your inventory. Deleting literally means removing it from your account and the site forever. It may be tracked, but once it’s deleted, the asset shouldn’t be subject to moderation if it’s actually not allowed unless it’s something outrageously bad. But I doubt that’ll happen on Roblox.

This could prevent accidental issues as described above.

Just a little quote for those who don’t want account-intruders to delete your assets:

Suggestion from a friend: Allow the account owner to return deleted assets within an amount of days. This way, removed assets can be put back within the given time if for example the account owner was hacked or accidentally uploaded something.

56 Likes

I’ve uploaded an assest that I didn’t mean to and got a warning because of it.

8 Likes

I really want this.

9 Likes

Been a while, but we desperately need something like this.

10 Likes

I’m bumping this thread because I had recently had moderation action taken on my account for assets I had uploaded in bulk in 2011. The issue was resolved but after dealing with this, and me not being allowed to take my own asset management into my own hands, OP’s point cannot be stressed enough,

It’s stressful, for me at least, to think that something I uploaded 7 years ago and forgot about could suddenly pop up one day and potentially ruin my development career.

In terms of people breaching accounts and wiping assets potentially, I’d recommend a 3-5 waiting period for the asset to be removed fully.

Edit: The other thread on this: Ability to Permanently Delete Our Uploaded Content

24 Likes

Following up to the 3 strike policy and the recent bans of a few developers, I am bumping this thread back up.

I believe this feature should be taken as top priority because, as of right now, there’s no way to delete the assets you upload and the risk of getting banned for something that you published years ago is very high.

Yes, you can ask your assets to be deleted by sending an email to support, however realistically it is very unreliable(due of how long it would take).

People should be able to delete their assets as easy/fast as how they upload them.

24 Likes

In addition to preventing a ban for an old asset the feature to permanently delete uploaded content should be added. Just for that one image you uploaded which wasn’t intended for Roblox or when you don’t want that old image here on this platform anymore.

I think the only way to permanently delete your own uploaded assets is sending a GDPR request when you live in the EU.

I already feel the situations where someone accidentally deleted an asset. For this there should be a trashbin where your assets stay for a period like one week.

Or what about something like here on the Developer Forum when you deleted a post or topic but then with a longer period?

9 Likes

I’m bumping this thread as a result of a similar situation to @Katzenpunk.
My account has been suspended for 3 days as a result of assets uploaded in 2014 - 2015. I had completely forgotten about their existence until now.

As stated, I simply don’t want past uploads to:

10 Likes

(I revived this topic because I can’t create my own.)
Hello,

I want to delete some assets from my account but it’s impossible, it is a REALLY good idea for Roblox.
Please Roblox add this it could be really usefull.

Why not make the trashbin system explained 2 topic before.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day,

2 Likes

The question is: what if the account gets compromised? The hacker could just straight up delete the hacked account’s assets before uploading rule-breaking ones. There would have to be a system in place to prevent this, such as a captcha system, deletion limit, or a cooldown system for deleting assets, to make it harder for bad actors to entirely modify accounts without getting caught doing so.

Assets such as decals, models, and audio can be archived to prevent people from using it. However, this also means you can un-archive it and restore it back to its former state.

People should be able to delete their assets as easy/fast as how they upload them

I think it’s intentional that it’s not, and seems to me to be closely related to the way they make it easy to use Team Create / save to cloud and hard to save locally. For whatever mysterious reasons, Roblox really wants as much of your work as possible to exist on their servers, and only on their servers, and for everything you create to persist there forever. They grudgingly allow workarounds for the determined but they really try to steer everyone they can to keeping all their work on the Roblox cloud and never getting rid of it.
This whole strategic plan is at odds with the UX most developers want and it wins out because Studio is not a paid product and does not have competing products. So it is not a tool designed for you to manage your assets, it is a tool designed for Roblox Inc. to manage their assets (you).

1 Like

The best way to avoid “hacker deleted all my stuff” situations is to make the delete asset button available only 24 hours after the asset was uploaded.

That way, the button serves its intended purpose: deleting accidental uploads.

1 Like

Hello,

It’s easy, if the account email is changed then we lock the delete button.
Cause at the time if someone get compromised, the games he created are compromised too, scripts can be deleted ect…

Enable the 2FA and it’s good.

I completely agree. If we have the ability to create we should also have the ability to destroy. I think eventually this should apply to anything we may upload including the ability to delete games you have created. Currently the biggest thing I want is the ability to delete clothing items that I have uploaded and would welcome this addition.

2 Likes

I believe that there should be a delete button. However, looking from a technical standpoint, we don’t really know how assets are stored on Roblox’s end. They could be binary blobs in a SQL database with a number of indices and cross references. Also, others could be using the asset. So by deleting it, it would cause errors in other games.

Just trying to see both sides here.

2 Likes

I’d argue that the main limitation is not technical but rather security-wise, if someone hacked into your account, they could delete every asset you ever uploaded rather than just archive it like they can currently do.

This is already a thing when archiving an asset so therfore not an issue.

1 Like

I have a similar thought along this issue. I would greatly appreciate the ability to replace assets without creating new ones. This allows for trial & error fine tuning without requiring the user to change asset IDs in their game and delete the old asset to declutter their library.

6 Likes

This would genuinely help me as a developer to organize my assets, I could really see this being helpful.

2 Likes