Developers Stats desperately needs a makeover

Hi,

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to use the Developer Stats page because of how buggy, unpredictable, inconsistent, and outdated it is. I’m sure that almost every single developer who has used the Developer Stats page has noticed at least once of these issues explained below, and I’m proposing that Developer Stats should get a makeover because if this issue is addressed, it would improve my development experience because it would be easier to use and the quality of life for using this page would at least be tripled.

Shown below are many of my general complaints with the current Developer Stats page and a few ways I think it could become greatly better and more easy to use and understand. A couple of these ideas or bugs might have already been posted before, surprisingly I don’t think most of these have had posts made for it, so I’m just gonna make a primary thread for any developer stats-related problems and features since there’s a lot to add on about it. Please let me know if there’s anything you think I should change or remove from this post.

If you have any suggestions to share that could make the Developer Stats page better to use, please let the web developers know by adding on your suggestion below to make it easier for them! :slight_smile:

Graphs

First of all, I’ll start with the graphs on the Developer Stats page. We have had the same outdated graphs since at least 2014, and they are extremely limited and quite annoying to use.

The graphs we have now are decent I guess; we’re able to see visit and revenue data on an Hourly, Daily, and Monthly basis. But there are many key features lacking here.

For one, we aren’t able to view hourly data before the last couple of days, nor can we view daily data from let’s say July 2020, there’s no timeline feature that we can use to access hourly or daily data from a longer time ago. This is also a problem because since it clips with no way to view more than that, if your game is at least four years old like mine, you will be unable to view even Monthly data on your game from 2016, as shown below. As far as I know, if you didn’t save your monthly data before it clips off, that data will be unattainable on our end, as even the ‘Monthly Game Stats Data’ XLSX files we can export only go up until September 2018. (I did file a bug report for this here)

The best way to go about fixing this would be to introduce the very nice graphs we have on the Premium Payouts section of the Developer Stats page for our game for all graphs on the page. We have the ability to view data within any two dates we wish if it is available and there is a handy zoom feature where you drag between a set of points for it to zoom in to get a more detailed (and perhaps hourly/daily) view.

It would be incredibly useful if we could have a calendar/timeline feature on the top of the page or for each of the charts we use to replace the Historical Data buttons (Hourly, Daily, and Monthly), so then any graphs shown on that page would automatically update based on the criteria we give it via the calendar. This would be the same for the Developer Product Sales section, where I explain how confusing and buggy it is later on in this post. I believe this would make the page much more consistent in how data is displayed.

Another issue with these graphs is they are incredibly buggy, especially for games with not that much of a following. I launched one of my older games back to the public this week and I noticed the graphs were either missing data or weren’t being represented properly. In the gif shown below, you can see how the Computer value for avg. visit length was somehow bigger than the Total value, and in Visits By Age there was only one set of data available, which when added up doesn’t even come close to Total.

The video shown below has the Phone value for Visits incomplete, likely because there is only one value on the chart so it cannot connect any lines, but shouldn’t it just fill in Phone at 0 visits every hour there isn’t data available like it usually does?

https://i.gyazo.com/f3a14e0ad911006e89df2d914ad0e43b.mp4
https://i.gyazo.com/b92409bd331399a9c4b5f71bc003c131.mp4

Developer Product Sales

The Developer Product Sales portion of the page doesn’t seem to be accurate at all unless if I’m not understanding it properly. While viewing Monthly data, it seems to only say that I have earned R$7,000 from my biggest purchase. Is this only within the last month? Logically, this would mean that it is broken down by all of the dates shown on the charts that are selected via Historical Data (so the last ~4 years), which I’m very sure that I have earned more than that off my biggest product. The ‘Total’ dropdown on the right also seems to not do anything, nor does toggling the colored buttons down the middle like the behavior seen with the graphs above.

Date Table

The Date Table feature used to show more data for developers, but recently within the last year or two we suddenly had at least half of the rows shown removed, and some developers are even seeing less. Logically, if we select Monthly and the graphs above show up to the last ~4 years, we should also be able to see the last ~4 years worth of data in this table, but we don’t even get an entire year to look at.

It would also be a nice quality of life change if we could have avg. visit length pushed to the right column over and for numbers over 999 to be separated with commas.

Timezone Inaccuracy

As shown in the image below, the latest data value shown would’ve been at 2 AM. It is currently 9 AM and I should be seeing data up until 8 AM if this was working properly. Either that, or this is an issue with it not being in my timezone. If so, the times presented to me should be in my own timezone to prevent confusion.

Adding onto this, I think it would be pretty cool if we could view the latest data on the visit and revenue graphs without having to wait a few hours (Like waiting until 10AM to see information from 7AM, it does seem to often fall back), perhaps even showing incomplete data (like 3:00 Hourly data at 3:35) as a dotted line like the graph for Premium Payouts does.

Universe Support

For games like mine and other developers who rely on statistics for games with multiple places, usually involving a hub where players don’t spend most of their time, it can be tricky to get data on how a player spends their time in a game or where they make purchases. The developer stats page should be Game-level, not Place-level, and if there’s any data we may want to view for specific places under the game, there should be a tool for this such as a dropdown menu, like the one with the new Sponsored Games page.

Average Visit Length for the start place

Average visit length for a separate place under the game, which also shows Phone going over Total, an issue which I showed above.

Export Data from Graphs

Currently there’s no way to export data that is currently being shown to us through graphs. This is an important feature for some developers as many of us like to save this data and use it in other places such as Excel.

Time/Date for the tooltip

The tooltip we see when hovering over graphs tells us the name of the data and the value, but currently it does not show the time and date. This would be a great quality of life addition, especially considering that the date text on the bottom isn’t always perfectly aligned to give us a great estimate as to what date/time we are hovering over, and it doesn’t help that the most recent value’s date/time can be quite unpredictable.

Luckily, @AbstractAlex already made a feature request about this earlier this year, so I do recommend you check his post out: Developer stats need this simple UX improvement.

Custom data events

I’m not sure if this would ever come, especially considering we now have PlayFab to use exactly for this purpose, but I think I’d like to make this a request for one big reason: User friendliness.

Knowing how far our players make it into the game, or tracking data on things such as your game’s market can be an essential feature for many developers, even Roblox uses a feature like this, funnels. If we could have the ability to create graphs or values in the Developer Stats page, and use an ‘identifier key’ along with data we send to Roblox with a custom API (such as AnalyticsService:LogEvent(Identifier, [number, string, etc.]), then we could easily create things such as player progress funnels or just simple values that we can set or add onto like if we wanted to track the amount of copies that exist of a particular item in our game for economy-purposes.

The main reason I’d be against PlayFab for this is because for beginners or basically anyone who doesn’t have a lot of experience with data, it can be incredibly confusing, it is still to this day difficult for me to use the website. A couple of my friends also shared the same concern that when it was announced, they thought it would’ve just been an extended Developer Stats with more needed features, but apparently you need to learn a coding language they use to create graphs and such for the data you give them from this method.

Additional bugs/annoyances

Even though this might not be the best place to put it in, I do have a list of bugs for Developer Stats that I might as well include here to make it easier for the web developers to find all in one place. If you believe this isn’t the right place for it, then please let me know and I will delete this section.

24 Likes

@Evercyan, thanks for posting the detailed needs and suggestions for Dev Stats. We are well aware of the pain points e.g. show data on game level instead of places, date range selection, etc. We are working on a plan to improve the native analytics functionality and target to make the update available late Q1. We may reach out to you and others in the community for early feedback.

In the meantime, if anyone has additional feedback for analytics, feel free to add to this thread. We are all ears!

6 Likes