EnvironmentSpecularScale causes intense flickering on nearby surfaces

Edit: This issue only occurs in Studio

Staring into light emitted from a light source causes nearby surfaces to begin flickering while EnvironmentSpecularScale is not 0. This issue persists after the light object is disabled.

EnvironmentSpecularScale appears to be reflecting light off of itself, causing an infinite light loop or intense flickering in some cases. The brighter the light source, the more noticeable this issue is. Setting Specular to 0 removes this issue instantly. Flickering seems to only occur when there are many light instances, causing slower updates, otherwise the issue only changes the color of everything without any flickering:

I was able to create a demo place. Although the issue is present in the file, it’s a lot more difficult to make happen and the flickering is nowhere near as bad. I have quite a few point / surface lights in the first two videos which may enhance the issue. This issue doesn’t appear to be device-specific as I’ve experienced it on a few.

EnvironmentSpecularScale broken.rbxl (49.2 KB)

1 Like

Does this persist in the production game? I’m not entirely sure how everything here works, but the flickering may be caused by the reflection mapping being baked and calculated in studio.

Thanks for the heads up, I probably should’ve tested that before posting. It doesn’t persist in a live server, but is still pretty distracting in studio as stopping it requires me to leave the area.

This isn’t specular itself, roblox just broke EnvMaps (automatic runtime generated cube map reflections)

@tabby0x

roblox just broke EnvMaps

Could you clarify what is broken for EnvMaps? Or better to create a separate Bug Report.

Thanks!

I was reading your post on EnvMaps / future lighting a few days ago. I noticed some similarities between the issue with EnvMaps and my report, however, I won’t pretend to be an expert on the topic so I cannot comment on if the two are related.

Perhaps this post could serve as reference? @neutrinostack

Perhaps this post could serve as reference?

That post is about EnvMaps overall usability.
I was interested if something happened with EnvMaps in the past couple of weeks when @tabby0x said “roblox just broke EnvMaps”.

Placement is buggy / EnvMaps flicker because their generation seems to cancel and then attempt to re-generate again. This is a new bug that is unrelated to my older topics. The older topics just show that the current EnvMaps system is flawed altogether and we could really benefit from manual cubemap probe placement BEFORE runtime. Similarly to a Sky instance with 6 faces, each being a Texture.

If you want me to attach a video of the flickering issue I can provide one.

This post seems related if not the same as this bug report that we’re currently working to fix. Indoor Reflections Bug

1 Like