False Copyright on audio

Reproduction Steps

The audio at hand has been taken down for alleged copyright. It’s a completely custom mix of sounds, using professional sound packs, that have been bought and paid for.
image (1)

Expected Behavior

Removal of the false copyright. We have published 100s of sounds, using the exact same pack, receiving no copyright, so this must surely be an error on the auto moderation’s behalf.

Actual Behavior

N/A 30char 30char 30char 30char

Workaround

Remake the sound, using different sounds. However, that isn’t fair. So I’d prefer the false copyright to be removed.

Issue Area: Roblox Website
Page URL: Aca Broad - Roblox
Impact: Moderate
Frequency: Constantly
Date First Experienced: 2023-01-11 00:01:00 (+01:00)
Date Last Experienced: 2023-01-23 00:01:00 (+01:00)
A private message is associated with this bug report

17 Likes

Are you being blocked from uploading or did you get a warning or something? Roblox’ automated systems are overly strict, producing tons and tons of false positives. Maybe you could try changing some of the metadata, but I suppose you’d still need to reupload then.

I’ve encountered issues like this before too. I can already tell you, the staff or tech support have no access to fix this. If the automated system flags things falsely, they can’t over-ride. The best you can do is just change it ever so slightly to get past the automation as there is no system setup for human review. :face_exhaling:

I hate using hacks too when trying to get original music or sounds through the auto-mated system, as others have mentioned, it produces a lot of false positives.

4 Likes

That’s not the same thing.

If it was removed for copyright reasons, it would say so.

But it only says “Removed for the violations of Roblox Terms of Use”, meaning that there is different reason behind the asset getting moderated.

1 Like

This issue isn’t about copyright. That page you linked says its a ToU violation (it thinks its an inappropriate audio, maybe mistaking it for an inappropriate audio which is very quiet or slowed down to evade filters) - You may want to correct the thread title and body, as well as contact @Mod_Review_Requests

A small potential workaround that may work is cutting it in half and swapping the halves around

This would still allow it to still be a seamless loop but may get around filters (both copyright and tos/tou enforcing)

1 Like

no, I attempted to post Vicetone’s Nevada on an alt account and it said this “Removed for the violations of Roblox Terms of Use” at the description, but there is some sort of copyright message so you’re kind of right

Yes that’s what I meant. I should’ve rephrased it better.

1 Like

I’ll just say this now, this is just Roblox being Roblox

2 Likes

Roblox would have sent you a message saying something like this audio is copyrighted and is not allowed on the platform

Thanks for the report! We’ll follow up when we have an update for you.

4 Likes

As a composer, this is an absolutely workflow breaking problem, and there is currently no way to remedy this.

If we choose to have our audios protected through Audible Magic, Roblox will not allow us to upload our own audio. Even if you provide proof of ownership to support, you’ll be met with an answer that shatters any hopes of getting the audio up.

This is a real problem with professional development on the platform, has been a problem ever since the Audio permissions change, and is in desperate need of seriously investing into working on it.

Edit: I currently have a song I am completely unable to upload. I have tried unlocking it, changing metadata, changing pitch, nothing works. Please.

8 Likes

You would have to use an audio scrambler and custom music player in the roblox client to descramble on the fly. That was solution I created for myself but it’s hacky way to make it work and certainly not roblox friendly.

1 Like

Hello @Jaco2811, thanks for filing a bug report!

I can confirm that the asset 11939198152 (Aca-Broad) was taken down as it matched a copyrighted audio. Based on the sample audio you uploaded I believe that this was because the file you uploaded was too quiet which makes it harder for our audio detection systems to provide accurate matches. I realize that is a 5 month old thread but if you have the original mix around could you try uploading it again at a louder volume and letting me know if it is allowed?

1 Like

One thing I find very interesting about these audio copyright issues is that if you are a copyright owner yourself and somebody uploaded your audio to Roblox without permission, there is nothing you can do to have it removed, no matter how hard you try, you get the run-around.

Hi Hachiroku. If you are a copyright owner or an agent of a copyright owner and believe that any content on Roblox infringes upon your copyrights, you may submit a notification pursuant to the DMCA. You can find more information on this page: DMCA Guidelines | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Hello. Thanks for the late reply, lol.

I re-uploaded the asset with a few edits a week or so after this post, and it worked just fine from then on.

• Jaco
1 Like

Another song of my own was taken down yet again for the same “Intellectual Property Violations”.

This is a song I made myself and uploaded to DistroLock / AudibleMagic under my artist name “MetatableIndex”.
Asset ID: 14108650951

Is there really no way to verify my ownership of this asset as of right now? Not even a way to get it reuploaded? This is a huge slap in the face to all composers who wish to make a living off the platform or see their work present in Roblox experiences.

1 Like

Maybe because you are a Clothing Designer,
This message appears in every removed assets so it means nothing.

Sorry for late message.

1 Like

Consider:

Just because I primarily make clothes doesn’t mean I don’t know what I’m talking about.

1 Like

That is correct, as of right now there is no way to verify your ownership of the audio asset. We are working on adding this in the future because it is a big pain point for creators on Roblox. In the meantime I would recommend asking DistroLock to remove your song from AudibleMagic so that it can be uploaded to Roblox without being taken down.

5 Likes