Has anybody actually been promoted?

Perhaps if you provided some examples of threads you think have been unfairly denied, the community could give their two cents on whether or not it was justified.

Consider creating a new thread to discuss the post approval system instead of derailing this one though.

You can check my profile for one of them. It’s titled " Add game profiles, and/or web integration for games (player stats, inventories, more)." However this problem isn’t limited to just me, I’ve seen it happen to others too.

I agree this is worth its own topic, but after a conversation with the OP earlier I think this is the kind of tangent he was intending to go down anyway.

They may be a full member but they are correct when it comes to threads that deserved to be unlisted because they weren’t of quality enough. I went through the post approval myself several times before getting promoted, the ones that got unlisted weren’t of quality, and you learn from your mistakes, and can improve on them.

May I cite a reply you posted.

You agreed to the user’s statement that you’re a ‘victim’. And while it certainly wasn’t the best choice word. The user did clarify what they intended in a reply.

Basically in terms. Keep trying. If you don’t believe you can do it, you’re only hurting your own chances by doing so. I once believed I wouldn’t get promoted as well. Once I stopped thinking that to myself, a few months later I found myself receiving the ‘congratulations on promotion to member’ message.
Keep continuing to do Post Approval, take notes from threads that have passed it. Search extensively for a similar/identical thread. So it won’t get unlisted for being a duplicate.
And if it doesn’t pass, there is always a chance the LTC’s will let you improve on the thread before it gets moved. The system works well in my opinion. People just tend to be pessimistic about their chances. Which is not at all the right mindset to be in as explained earlier.

TL;DR: Keep trying, don’t be put down by a few failed post approval threads. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I really only came here to post my two cents, but ended up accidentally blowing up at people again. As you can tell I care about this community. But I just simply think it needs changes. I’ve already given up many months ago, obviously some people had better experiences and some people didn’t.

I agree that people should keep trying, but I also disagree with that idea because I think there’s fundamental problems in the way post approval / promotion is handled, and that people really trying to contribute here may end up walking out disappointed or hurt, and that’s not good for anybody.

I didn’t mean to derail this thread but I’m happy about the stuff we got to talk about. If anybody wants to keep talking about this tangent after this thread we should make a Discord thing for it.

3 Likes

I posted a photoshop tutorial explaining in detail on how to use it . Tbh, I don’t mind my rank as long as I’m contributing and helping the community.

I did ask one of the Lead Top Contributors how to become a member and I was just given this:

I do still wonder a bit why I’m still a New Member but regardless I still do enjoy helping people. I’d assume I’m hiccuping.
I was one of the last batches before they implemented the New Member scheme so I became a New Member since mid last year- I’ve been doing my best to help other users in the community.
There has been a user called @Operatik who has become a Member very recently and I congratulate him but it does make you think what you’re doing wrong, or what you’re missing to get the full Member role. Unsure if I could just ask what the gaps are and work from there.

@AstroCode thank you for recognising me!

1 Like

Without reading through all the replies, here is some general information:

YES, people are promoted, semi frequently as far as I can tell. Ever since becoming a New member has turned into a simple process, it seems like less people are being promoted, but that could just as easily be because of the huge influx of New members which keeps the ratio much more tilted toward them. This can create the illusion that promotions are not actually happening.

What would be nice is a way for New members to track their progress on the road to promotion and a way for guests to track their progress on the way to New member status (I would love for these things to happen).

We are currently not as active in rank-ups because Developer Relations is working on a new procedure for ranking up from New Member to Member. So ranking up new people right now is iffy because we don’t know when that new procedure will ship. Moreover our current guidelines for promoting are somewhat vague and we rely a lot on Top Contributors at the moment for nominations.

I don’t know exactly how many people have been promoted but it’s definitely some dozens of people, not just a couple or so.

20 Likes

Regarding the discussion above on post approval procedure: we only reject threads when the post doesn’t fit the forum and, in addition to that, the poster is being obstinate and not willing to make the required changes. Maybe 10% or less of post approval requests are rejected. About half of them are immediately accepted. The remainder we work with to edit the thread entirely so it fits. If your post approval request isn’t going through then I’m afraid you haven’t given us the chance to help you edit your posts to a satisfactory level.

We have (near-)weekly meetings with Developer Engagement Team and they approve of how we are currently handling these procedures. Let’s discuss again in DMs if you did not understand the feedback we previously gave you.

They won’t if you post them in the right place. (Bulletin Board, then link to us in DM to have them moved) This is written at the top of the rules thread, this information is easy to find. We’re working on making this even easier to follow in the future.

I cannot overstate how incorrect this is. 90% of threads get moved.

5 Likes

Welp. I guess it’s my turn to point out some flaws in what you just said.

I’m not going to repeat anything that @buildthomas said, but I’ll sum up some things that he didn’t.

I can name half a dozen people off the top of my head. I’m gonna save myself time and just link you this to show you the influx of Full Members.

That’s unnecessary. My guide struck all of the points that could have been addressed. Complaining that there isn’t more of the same is foolish.

It took me six months of daily work like that to get promoted. You are not entitled to a rank up. Nor was I, nor is the friend you recommended. Please do not act entitled.

3 Likes

This. Exactly this. There’s a quote I remember by heart from one of my staff sergeants, and it’s “Never take less than you deserve, but never expect more than you’re willing to work for.” You always get what you’re meant to get if you try hard enough. Don’t say that you deserve a promotion, or that guy doesn’t, or that this guy was active every day; they’ll get promoted when they’re ready. Promotion isn’t just about answering questions; it’s about contributing to the entire forum, actively reading, and overall showing you’re adept with using and navigating the forum.

I got into the forum in the first wave of new members, roughly in November 2017. I was about to apply again, roughly 7 months later, then I noticed that you can’t apply to be promoted anymore. Shortly after, I had been promoted, because I was active, tried to contribute to development support, knew the rules of the forum by heart (if you don’t know rule 15.1 by heart, you aren’t a true forum member /s), and overall showed that I was knowledgable of how to use the forum.

5 Likes

I was looking at this link you linked, and I saw the person @jjjakey. And here was his stats/

What could this man have done to get promoted!? He basically did nothing!

May 2017 was before the New Member programme.

Whoops, had a brainfart. Forgot join date wasn’t when you got accepted.

1 Like

He was accepted into the 2019 Summer Accelerator Program

2 Likes

Let’s compare the stats of the friend you referenced to mine. It seems like a fair comparison since I am one of the newest Full Members (being only promoted in January).

As you can see, Jordy does in fact have me beaten in some areas. He’s got nearly a year and a half of visiting (compared to my year) and 3 days more read time. He far exceeds me in solutions. On the other hand, I’ve given and received far more likes and created more topics and replies.

At a base level, Jordy could easily be explained as being a far better contributor of the devforum than myself; however, the numbers aren’t what matter right here. What matters is the seriousness of the contributions. As I mentioned in my article, that you already linked:

When looking closer at the less emphasized stats, you can see the problem.

Comparing the first stat block (Jordy’s) to the second (mine), you can see the difference of contributions. Jordy stayed on far too small of a scale and didn’t use his gifts and talents to actually help the community as a whole.

Nonetheless, I will personally be contacting @uJordy offering to help him with his request for Full Member. He is definitely proven his value on a small scale, but not at a pace noticeable enough by the higher ups without putting himself out there. It’s a negative of being a “behind the scenes” guy, yet it doesn’t prevent him from ranking up.

3 Likes

This is something very kind, it’s making me cry
But, I’ve seen many people with closer stats to you than @uJordy
(no offense) and still are a new member. I like how you are looking out for active people.

I’m actually surprised you’re not a member. I see you everywhere, you seem to be very active.

1 Like

Thanks,! I’ve seen you in a lot of places also. You have some good topics, close to Headless, so, you should be noticed for promtion, considering in one of your topic a LTC noticed you and the topic.

1 Like

Uhm, I think you should blur out your email in the picture of your profile!

1 Like

Done (please signal this in private in the future rather than on the topic)

4 Likes