Having to modify "Override high DPI scaling behavior" just so Studio doesn't appear blurry and poorly scaled

As an aside, anyone actively affected by this can, until Roblox is aware of the problem, work-around the bug by going to %LocalAppData%\Roblox\Versions, identifying and opening the newest Roblox version folder, creating a folder called ClientSettings and placing this file containing local FFlag overrides which disable the weird change in functionality.

ClientAppSettings.json (188 Bytes)

31 Likes

Thanks for the work-around. I did it but there was no change. Is there anything else I have to do after placing the file in the ClientSettings folder?

3 Likes

Ensure that the ClientSettings folder is placed in the same internal version folder that’s actively in use, incase you misplaced it into the Versions directory. The set-up of the folder should be as per the following:

8 Likes

Thanks, I’ll reboot my system for it to take effect

Edit : Your work-around worked! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Hopefully roblox fixes it

3 Likes

There is actually a really simple fix for this. Download “Windows 10 DPI fix” by XP Explorer (just look it up) and change the high dpi settings for the Roblox player and studio so that they scale properly.

Then once you setup the dpi fix program (by just enabling the “windows 8.1 fix” checkbox) it will automatically keep the high dpi setting enabled after every roblox update and you don’t have to do anything else ever again. This also works for any other windows programs that you enable the high dpi setting on.

Edit: I didn’t realize Roblox just pushed an update out recently that tried to fix this issue. The method above is what I have been using for the past few years. I just noticed the new update today since text and GUIs have appeared to have been scaled up. They are clear and much easier to see for me so I don’t mind everything being scaled up properly. I guess if you’re still experiencing any issues you can try this method.

7 Likes

thank you very much :slight_smile: this fixed my issue with the scaling.

3 Likes

Wow, this actually worked. Thank you so much man!

3 Likes

Sounds like a good fix, but I was able to fix the latest release(508) scaling issue, which for me was that it was not respecting my resolution reduction setting and was giving me the native monitor resolution for Roblox client which runs too slow compared to a lower resolution. I confirmed this by comparing screenshots taken from before and after the last updates, new screenshots were 1920x1080, last week’s screenshots were 1536x864 (my preferred resolution for performance!). My windows display scaling is set at 125% which enlarges the 1536x864 Roblox frame to full screen. After this update, Roblox client decided to run at 1920x1080 and enlarge its fonts based on my windows display scale. The fonts sure were crisp and pretty but my performance went to crap!

I fixed it by setting the DPI properties on the roblox shortcut to force Windows to manage DPI and that created this reg entry:
key: current user…AppData\Local\Roblox\Versions\version-7ac07bdec8dd48ae\RobloxPlayerBeta.exe data:~ DPIUNAWARE

I’ll probably have to do this again next update unless they roll back this terrible change.

They did this one other time that I can recall and they rolled it back, hope they do so again.

If anyone wants to use this method this is how I did it:

5 Likes

So all you did was change it to “System” and not “Application”? Or if there was something extra to do, could you show me an example on how to do it? Sorry, that image isn’t enough for me to understand if you changed something in registry editor.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it with the first solution. Thank you @ittrgrey.

4 Likes

Yeah, I just changed the property, I was just showing what the result was in the registry, I didn’t add that, changing it to ‘system’ added that reg entry.

Glad you got it working.

3 Likes

I tried this 8 days ago when the original problem occurred and it worked fine. But Roblox just released a new update today and even after repeating the process within the new Roblox folder, my scaling is messed up. Any idea on how to fix this?

3 Likes

Just joined a game after the update, cannot reproduce this on my end…?

You might have to try using this if all else fails, though last I heard, Roblox disabled the feature in question about a day after release.

3 Likes

Just made this script to fix it.

@echo off
set robloxDirectory="%LocalAppData%\Roblox\Versions"
set overrideScalingKey="HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers"
set overrideScalingData="~ HIGHDPIAWARE"

cd /d %robloxDirectory%

for /r %%f in (*.exe) do (
	call :AddOverrideScalingRegistry %%f
)

exit /b %ErrorLevel%
:AddOverrideScalingRegistry
reg add %overrideScalingKey% /v %~1 /t reg_sz /d %overrideScalingData% /f | echo %~1
exit /b 0

pause
3 Likes

I got the same issue, before this didn’t happend. Not sure why this is happening now. I fixed it with the setting file, however…

Everytime it updates I have to do add it again… this is really really annoying, when will Roblox change this?

3 Likes

What does this script that you made do?

3 Likes

Same, I had to do it again.

Its happening now because roblox updated

3 Likes

I wish if it would check if there’s a client setting file in the folder “ClientSettings” at the same level where the folder “Versions” is located at, each time it updates, to then put that client file and create a “ClientSettings” folder in that new version, so that we don’t have to do it manually.

3 Likes

Leaving a comment so I can come back to this when I need it. Thanks for the help!

4 Likes

It’s really disappointing that Roblox have decided to re-enable this feature with no fix in sight for the scaling issue. This needs to be rolled back until the new DPI handler can properly respect non-integer values.

5 Likes

FYI, I too had to reset my roblox app dpi settings back to ‘system managed’ with the last roblox client update (again)

Seems like they’re not figuring out why this is happening.

3 Likes