How do you make DataStores carry over to different games, like Ultimate Driving does?

So, I have been trying to make a game where your stats save throughout the game series, similar to what Ultimate Driving does. Sorry if my question is unclear.

3 Likes

Well, I’m not talking about separate places, I’m talking about separate games.

You can’t do this with Roblox data stores. You’ll need to use an external database, or, if there’s only a small amount of data you need to persist, Roblox badges.

3 Likes

Alright, thanks for the help! I wonder how I’ll get an external database… :thinking:

You need a kind of website for that, it must be secured with passwords tho, to prevent unauthorized access.

1 Like

Try to use express.js for that.

I recommend https://www.000webhost.com/ its free and you could store data and do all sorts of stuff on there.

1 Like

Multiple places within the same game share the same datastore.
https://developer.roblox.com/articles/Data-store

Data stores are shared per game , so any place in a game, including places in different servers, can access and change the same data.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll try this out

pick up .NET development, learn entity framework and REST api development and you’ll be solid. I started a website like this for my game before scrapping it because I didn’t want to pay for it. Worked well. Here’s some of the source.

https://github.com/timdeeter/TerabyteSite

You don’t actually need a database or an external website. All you need is to have your places within the same game. The data from the places will be able to transfer over to each other as they are inside of the same game.

No, he means different GAMES, not places.

1 Like

As far as I was concerned Ultimate Driving had all of it’s places put into the same game, I could be wrong though.

Absolutely wrong, otherwise you wouldn’t get notifications for all of them separately, and joining the other games would send you to the start place.

1 Like

Gotcha, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I highly advise against 000webhost. They recently had a massive database leak where client information was stolen. (IP addresses, usernames, passwords, etc.)

InterServer has a special offer where your first month costs $0.01. You should really look in to paid web hosting if you think your game will have high traffic.

Edit: You could alternatively use repl.it, but domain name customization would be thrown out the window.

1 Like

I believe Ultimate Driving uses an external host for the data, at least that’s what @TwentyTwoPilots stated back in '17:

“[Backing up your data] is one of the perks of using HttpService to save your stats somewhere externally, it gives you a nice interface for viewing and editing everyone’s stats and (at least with the hosting site I use) gives you the option to download a backup of your database.”
Datastore Backup download

Have no idea what he used/uses, though.
EDIT: [Here he is, oops. Sorry for the ping!]

1 Like

I’m using x10hosting’s $20 / month plan, their uptime is great and it allows me to do exactly what the OP needs, which is to get data between different Roblox games reliably. Not having to deal with DataStore’s outages and quirks is a nice benefit, but in order for a setup like mine to work you need to make sure your data saving systems are as optimized as possible, otherwise you’ll quickly run out of resources.

14 Likes

glitch.me would be better. Its a free host, you have to setup something to get it on 24/7 tho.

4 Likes

It’s actually a lot easier then it seems. You can add games to a universe and any game within that universe shares the same datastores. Search up universes on roblox.