How to circumvent the Beta App on Windows

The Beta App has been nothing short of a nuisance to a large portion of Desktop users. From the memory it wastes to the degraded performance; the user experience is godawful. If you’re a Windows user, and you cannot stand the burden of this app, I’ve got just the thing that will make it go away.

This was once a repo for patched RobloxPlayerLauncher.exe's. I didn’t like maintaining the patches for those, so I made my own Roblox launcher using Python.

Go to this GitHub repo and head to Releases. I wish I knew this link was originally malformed

If you want to make life harder for yourself (then keep using the beta app), you can manually install the Custom Launcher or if you want it immediately, you can get the Patch Nabber then run it.

The Manual Install is in the README.md of the repo.

I hope this helps you. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

21 Likes

Care to elaborate? Not sure what you mean as this only seems to be a program that appends args to the launcher.

3 Likes

its github… the code is public. there is nothing to hide.

3 Likes

So since it appears that this just adds some arguments to the RobloxPlayerBeta app, what will you do if (or really, when) Roblox patches this method?

I mean, it’s very easy to get Roblox to reinstall itself (I just changed the LaunchExp thing to InBrowser to do the trick), so if that does happen, at least there’s a way to fix it

I’m unsure as of now. But what I can say is that Roblox will have to completely strip their InBrowser launch functionality out of their game client to patch this. So there’s that.

I mean, judging based on how pushy they are with this update, I won’t be surprised if they do

1 Like

They use a completely different method of launching Roblox.

string RobloxExecutable =  AppFolder + "\\RobloxPlayerLauncher.exe";

They launch via roblox’s launcher; I launch through my own launcher which passes the launch args directly to RobloxPlayerBeta.exe in the same format that Roblox’s vanilla launcher does which isn’t susceptible to the same points of failure that their method is. This is probably the case because my launcher has “less moving parts” in a sense.

1 Like

I understood what you meant by it, though it just sounded ignorant because it’s open source and on gh. It’s all good.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If you don’t trust it, run it through Virus Total, considering it is all on github, you can freely compile it yourself

It’s not dangerous, but it does indeed execute a command.

Okay… mayyyybe I will be playing a little Roblox here and there until Roblox goes mad and completely removes website functionality in their push for their app.

Anyways, this is flippin awesome! You’re a hero!
This makes opening Roblox feel like I’m doing hackerman stuff.

1 Like

I’m glad this has proved of use to you. :grinning:

I feel it’s worth noting here that just because something is open source and on github doesn’t mean the precompiled version is safe. I’ve seen my fair share of precompiled programs not matching the compiled source.

2 Likes

The precompiled binaries are packaged with PyInstaller; therefore, they contain the python bytecode (anyone who believed there to be foul play would’ve found it) within the binary which makes it easier for the majority of end-users to use as it runs irregardless of the user having a Python interpreter installed prior to running.

Relevant topics from PyInstaller’s Manual:
Hiding the source code;
What pyinstaller does and how it does it;
How the one file program works;

2 Likes

Recently, Roblox removed alt+enter true full screen (with the {"FFlagHandleAltEnterFullscreenManually":"False"} flag off)

Do you know if it would be possible to re-add that functionality with the custom launcher?

6 Likes

Probably one way or another. What exactly does that fast flag do?

2 Likes

Somehow I missed the reply notification

The flag would allow alt + enter to enable true fullscreen (not to be confused with borderless windowed) which disables V-Sync and improves performance

It pretty much provided a fullscreen experience similar to games like Minecraft and CS:GO

Since Roblox confirmed that it was removed intentionally, a solution has been in high demand by many players / developers alike

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of this feature before, it sucks that I’m only finding out about it now since I would’ve loved to use it. Thank you for the explanation.

3 Likes